Middle aged and new to all this

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clanelliott

Oct 11, 2008
Glasgow
Hi all
i will ask the obvious, but i will get there in the end.
one of the reasons why i am here - My good lady became a cub leader because no one else would do it, so i have helped. just before this summers break i helped out at a fire lighting and marshmellow toasting night. in her pack there is 36 cubs (8-10yo) and only 2 had ever struck a match let alone made a fire!!! as they say in football "i was gob smacked" so i am on a mission to get them all to learn.
I am getting close very close to my 2 score and 10 and in 1 generation we have come to only 5% of the population have ever used a match.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Hi there, welcome to the forum, looking at your name I was wondering where you are, north of the border perhaps, if so whereabouts? There are plenty of scouters on the site I'm sure they can advise on fire making for youngsters, but I think caution in the first instance might be the call. Health & Safety is the bain of our lives when dealing with kids and I'm not sure if it allowed for this age group, although I could be wrong. I often work with Army Cadets and the H & S side is a complete knightmare so it would be worth checking out first. Having said all that I know exactly what you mean many of the skills we used as youngsters have been ignored and lost in the new generation but in the same token they have skills which we never had, you should see my nephew of 11 send texts on the phone his thumb is a blur.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
There is nothing to stop you teaching a Cub or in fact a Beaver how to light a fire and cook dinner but I think you need to think of the bigger picture.

If you think of the path this Cub will take through life (within Scouting in this instance) things need to grow gradually otherwise what will they have to look forward to in the Scouts and beyond

I have always been very keen on 'progressive training' and having been a Cub leader in the past as well as a Scout leader and also an Explorer Commissioner have seen it from most camps.

If you think of an activity such as firelighting and break it down you can make it suitable for all sections.... for instance

Beaver Scouts (6-8) - play games on a fire theme, draw fire pictures and end evening with a game where they blow out a candle lit by a leader

Cub Scouts (8-10) - light candles, help collect wood for a small fire and be shown how to lay it and perhaps even light it (Sixers privilege perhaps;)) cook sausages on sticks / roast marshmallows perhaps over disposable bbq's

Scouts (10-14) - light fires and cook their own food

Explorer Scouts (14 - 18) - teach scouts / cubs - cook unsupervised on expedition stoves etc

I don't want to be seen as preaching...... I'm just trying to put my thoughts accross from a personal pholosophy and experience. fro example take a Beaver climbing a mountain rockface and by the time he is a Scouts what has he to aspire to.....

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Just realised I may have gone a little deep there replying to your first post - what I'd should have said first was welcome and

GREAT ON YOU for taking part and wanting to make a differance! :You_Rock_

Take it easily and have fun! :D - I think you will like it here! ;)

Ask all you want (and try looking around and using the search feature) there is SOOO much information here we can all learn something new! :)

clanelliott

Oct 11, 2008
Glasgow
I have been around "scouting" for 12+ years as my eldest has come through the ranks and now is in Network and is an Explorer Leader, My youngest is just about to move up into Explorers. As there is always a lack of Adult Leaders i have been camp cook and bog washer for all that time, as well as helping out as and when required. When the Police checks became official i became a sectional asst.
But to see a 10yo have no idea how to strike a match on the matchbox, does not bode well for the future. But to see the look on their faces when it all comes together and they toast the marshmellows, does give you a great feeling.
It was my job each morning to get the living room fire up and running so we had hot water (back boiler), and i was in infant school at the time. "Youngster these days"

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Hi and welcome to the site. If you need any pointers or want to learn a few bits and bobs please feel free to pm me and I'm more than happy to show you or anyone for that matter some fire lighting skills. Even how to use a match and waterproof them lol, bow drill, feather sticks etc. On a serious note though, most ten year olds round here can manage to get a galon of petrol and a box of matches at a minute notice lol, well, a clipper lighter is the fire starting item of choice, not matches anymore, unless you 'genie them' 'pmsl'. I'm not to far from Glasgow so gimme a shout if you want a hand sometime....

P.S., I do have an enhanced disclosure if needed.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Welcome abord. Good on you for teaching responsable firelighting.
My three year old watches me light the stove for the house (backboiler ect) every time and every time its the same information. Its dangerous ect but shes starting to understand as she pick up things very quick. When I finally let her make up the fire and light it safe I'll be a happy chap. I loved looking after the fire when I was still young.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
<thinks of something silly to say and then hasnt the heart>

I had to slap my own wrist too, now biting my lip.

Welcome to the forum Clanelliot.

Sorry can't fold my tounge any longer .......

I thought all 8-10yo Glaswegens were trainee arsonists :ban:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Welcome to BCUK, I hope you enjoy the site.

This is my 6yr old having his first go with a firesteel about 6mths ago.

I was very proud!!:D

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
I like how his face changes from pure 'delight' to pure' terror' ...... "what's mum gonna say if i burn the doormat?"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE