Mid wales walk and foraging advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
Hi

myself and few others are planing a walk across mid wales. We did the first half a year or so ago but problems meant we bailed half way.

This April we are doing the other half.

this is out (rough) intended route. Has anyone done much in these parts and have any good advice ?

http://www.mapmyhike.com/routes/fullscreen/341324957/

We will be bivvying and forraging for a lot of our grub and so advice on what's around would be advantageous.
We have knowledge of snaring and fishing and intend to put few snares out dusk till just after dawn.
Thanks in advance

mick

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
My advice would be to not rely on foraging anything worthwhile, our growing season is often one or two months behind the rest of the country and there is good reason why the farmers don't grow crops here.

The bailiffs are really hot on the upper Wye and around Llandrindod Wells, other areas I don't know about, but the fishing is likely to be slim to almost non-existent at that time of year. Snaring won't fetch much sustenance either unless you are very good.

The one thing you won't be without is places to bivvy, there are hundreds of small woods, mostly conifer, but finding somewhere flat, sheltered and dry will mean finding your way into a farmers barn!

Your route neatly skirts between any villages or towns, but rest assured that at that time of year, you will be noticed - lambing season will be well under way by then and farmers and stock-hands will be out at all hours checking on their flocks - I suggest that you be completely open and honest about your intentions if challenged and graciously move on if asked.

Last April we were only just free of snow and about to enter a spring season of torrential rain - don't expect it to be too much different this year.

If there are any specifics I can help with I'll try my best as the whole route is within an hours drive for me.

ATB

Ogri the trog

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Looking at that it isn't too far a walk, couple of days at a guess, what food stuffs do you realistically think you are going to need which you couldn't carry?

I used to carry enough for three days when I did my DofE Silver as a youngster without too much of a problem.

xylaria

Bring food.

The A road between Llangurig and Kington would probably have a good supply of road kill but is not safe to walk along. I am not sure howmuch upland your route has , but it is impossible to forage anything of any value from either forestry or the hills. Trust me I have tried cooking up rhos seeds and sand hill snails.

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
We are taking 2000 calories of mixed food anyway and the foraging is just really for fun and the challenge really.
ive done a bit of bivvying and always as you say am honest and open if questioned. I actually have found farmers to be helpful rather than hindrance on my travels. At malham cove a farmer there actually told me where I was allowed to camp rather than just shifting me off his land.
Although last year was bad it was only the year before at that time that we walked the first half of the walk from abreristwith. And last year we walked around Cape wrath at that time and had no snow or rain :)
im hoping to be lucky with the weather again.
Thanks for the advice I take advice in even if it doesn't fit with my plan.

xylaria

The terrian is lusher and less remote than the cambrian mountians you did last year. It is not much differnant than your side of the peaks. except it is richer in road kill. I am not familiar with the area much, I know more about abit further south. March is sparse unless you are by the coast. Thistles are about it for stodge unless you spot a burdock stickings its shoots up. Spot out places for bulrushes on the map. Plently of cockoo pint but you cant process it on the move. There is the usual springs greens. There is naff all the on the tops and forestry. Dont fish without permission on the wye you will get nicked.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
The smaller rivers and streams that don't use bailiffs is because there is nothing much to catch, the river trout around here are tiny and not really worth the effort

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I am fascinated by the references to roadkill, how safe is it to eat that dead but not hideously squished pheasant or bunny ? I have always assumed that I would die due to intestinal flora in the deceased having got into the meat....
I am keen to learn if this a is a free if rare source of food.......

xylaria

Roadkill doesnt kill you, well I aint dead yet. You know very quickly if it is past it, or the guts have gone over the meat. You can get road equilevent of "head shots", but most is just too squished to eat. Remember a lot of factory abatours spill the guts of chickens during processing. Around here the kites and other animals mean that nothing stays about for long, so most stuff is fresh. Welsh A roads get more road kill than english roads, but they are also more a lot more dangerous to walk along.

Last edited:

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
First thing to do when you find road kill is assess the damage then give it a good sniff and if it looks ok and smells it usually is ok, personally I would give rat and badger a miss but most other things I would try saying that I tried fox and was not impressed but I was told it was the way I had prepped it so I would have another go at that one.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I agree with Woodstock look and smell are real important I also check internal organs for any odd discolouration and blotches , also something to take into account when harvesting roadkill is the impact injury itself especially in birds the bones shatter and end up destroying any usable meat ,also with things like badgers and rodents if the injury ruptures the stomach or bladder the meat will be tainted

Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise
@mouseinthewood

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
Ok thanks everyone you made me make a new choice.
I think we will try the bothy at penrhos isaf and have a few days just walking Forrest, hill and waterfalls.
Thanks all

you thing autumn would be better for my walk across ?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Having options sounds like a much better way of approaching things.

Frankly I wouldn't generalise about "when" to go until you get to see a reasonably accurate weather forecast - we've had snow in September a few years ago, though it is equally as likely to be floods or a late summer heat-wave.

Our local Rotary Club organises an Across Wales Walk (http://www.rotary-ribi.org/clubs/page.php?PgID=115301&ClubID=1115) 42 miles as a one day event if you are intent on completing your original intention.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BPR_MiK

Jul 8, 2011
Derby
www.flickr.com
I'll complete my across wales walk sometime this year. The April trip is set in stone date wise as it two bank holidays together so I'm off work anyway. Unfortunately it also means I might not get to sleep in the bothy as others might bag it before me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE