Mid-life crisis fantasy help needed please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
My Dear fellow lovers of all things bushcrafty,

I find myself fantasising about a 'retreat' I need. Possibly because of a mid-life crisis, possisbly a bit of navel gazing needed, possibly to reflect and come to terms with the recent and fairly traumatic loss of my brother....... mostly likely all of the above.

In my mind there is a place somewhere; a small (maybe one room) hut with the sea or flowing water nearby. It's isolated. No electricity needed. A fireplace or pit. In or near a wood.

I know it exists somewhere and I know I'd love to spend some time there; maybe a weekend or maybe a month or two.

Any of you lovely people know where it is?

Kim

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I can't help with the place i'm afraid, but i'm sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. I lost my younger brother many years ago, so i know how you feel, if its any consolation it does get easier with time.
Regards,

Rob

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
There's a place near holmfirth. Holme valley camping. You could hire a small caravan, next to the lake. Fire pit outside, 30 meters from loveley woodland, steam and wildlife.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I think this is the one: http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=68 . Only about an hours walk from the road but no less remote for that. The sea is about 50 meters from the front door. Another option would be this one: http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=111 Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.

Good ideas, a bothy was going to be my suggestion too, the first one is quite popular so you might have some guests at some point. The second was being 'occupied' for a few months (with permision from the estate) by someone earlier in the year, not sure what the present situation is.

Deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Good ideas, a bothy was going to be my suggestion too, the first one is quite popular so you might have some guests at some point. The second was being 'occupied' for a few months (with permision from the estate) by someone earlier in the year, not sure what the present situation is.

Deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Yes, Peanmeanach is unsurprisingly popular with paddlers.I flew into Oban recently on a Callout and there was no sign of anyone in long term residence.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was going to suggest bothies too.

Actually, or a tent. It gives you private space that you seem to want, but also the freedom to put it wherever just 'feels right'.

It is also possible to rent a croft or similar, if your budget will reach.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I have found it on my allotment.

You might think allotments are rather public places, but given the current weather, sometimes I am the only one up there. I have been building a shed out of scavenged materials, and once that is complete I shall be as happy as Larry, in all weathers, brewing up with my Kelly Kettle, watching everything grow. I guess so far as privacy is concerned I am lucky that my allotment is the corner allotment tucked away with a wilderness of brambles over the fence.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thank you all sincerely for both the excellent suggestions and condolences :)

I really do feel the need to get away - not necessarily to escape, but more to find a bit of 'space' to reflect and get myself in order.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.......... and excuse me for the self indulgent post!

ATB

Kim

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Sorry to hear of your loss mate.

When I was a kid / young teenager I build a cabin in the woods (in my mind): bit by bit - I sawed the logs, cut the pine trees, made a fireplace etc. Took me 3 months. Made building maps etc. Years later I heard some POW's did the same during their capture to keep their mind going and have a peaceful place to have for their own. Some more years later I saw a documentary on NGC about animals living in Washington State (US West Coast) - it looked exactly like the place I built my cabin ...

You're more than welcome to built your hut / cabin across the lake where mine is :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE