Met a knife idiot

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
5,594
308
East Sussex, UK
Had a chap round yesterday to quote for digging a pond and he brought an employee with him to help. I noticed said employee was wearing a knife round his neck and although it wasn't terribly big, it was a bit "tacticool" for my liking (skeleton handle, tanto point etc.). He then showed me a photo on his 'phone of his exptensive knife, gun and sword collection - most of the knives being enormous "survival" knives (of the type that 13 year old boys like). Just before they left, he showed me his Rambo survival knife - massive great thing. He poured scorn on people he'd met with smaller knives that "weren't as sharp and didn't even have a saw back". He was adamant that it would be perfect for skinning a deer (he would like to get a FAC after telling me about his break barrel Gamo air rifle, which he claimed was an "air shotgun" (presumably the Gamo Viper Express) - he mentioned the ammunition was only available in the USA - and wants a Lee Enfield .303)

Don't really want him on my property, frankly, regardless of him maintaining that he's used his Rambo knife for hedgelaying which gives him an excuse to carry it around with him
 
Be tempted to drop his name with the local cop shop in a few months. Sounds just like the sort of person you don't want having weapons

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
 
Wish I'd remembered his name... Noticed he had a 1911 Pistol in his collection - don't know if it was deactivated or airsoft but I don't think I'd know the difference if it were pointed at me!
 
I don't blame you for not wanting him on you property Spandit.
It's sounds to me, that he's a bit nieave if I say so myself.
It also sound like he may be inexperienced in working with good tools and has gone toward cosmetic and gimmick over function.
 
Was a bit perturbed when I found out how little experience he had with diggers too - I know everyone has got to start somewhere but my mate Ronnie who has been laying our new drive and patio recently is an absolute master in a machine - this bloke had only dug on 3 jobs before, although he did claim it came naturally to him
 
Is he coming back?
Like you said everyone has to start somewhere and may need mentoring on that journey.
I'm sure he will start learning about what tools are more suitable for the job, although he's drawn attention to himself now and has had you question the service that you are getting.
 
Is he coming back?
Like you said everyone has to start somewhere and may need mentoring on that journey.
I'm sure he will start learning about what tools are more suitable for the job, although he's drawn attention to himself now and has had you question the service that you are getting.

Respect due for a very positive and socially proactive response Monkey boy. This lads attitude does sound a bit disquieting- but he might well develop maturity and see the light! 🙂
 
Had a chap round yesterday to quote for digging a pond and he brought an employee with him to help. I noticed said employee was wearing a knife round his neck and although it wasn't terribly big, it was a bit "tacticool" for my liking (skeleton handle, tanto point etc.). He then showed me a photo on his 'phone of his exptensive knife, gun and sword collection - most of the knives being enormous "survival" knives (of the type that 13 year old boys like). Just before they left, he showed me his Rambo survival knife - massive great thing. He poured scorn on people he'd met with smaller knives that "weren't as sharp and didn't even have a saw back". He was adamant that it would be perfect for skinning a deer (he would like to get a FAC after telling me about his break barrel Gamo air rifle, which he claimed was an "air shotgun" (presumably the Gamo Viper Express) - he mentioned the ammunition was only available in the USA - and wants a Lee Enfield .303)

Don't really want him on my property, frankly, regardless of him maintaining that he's used his Rambo knife for hedgelaying which gives him an excuse to carry it around with him

Is the point of this post. that if people like knives that you dont like, then they cant dig out your pond, and if you are looking for a Knife w***er, then I suggest you look at the contributor who suggested you drop this persons name to the plod.
 
Is the point of this post. that if people like knives that you dont like, then they cant dig out your pond, and if you are looking for a Knife w***er, then I suggest you look at the contributor who suggested you drop this persons name to the plod.
Except i don't have a large collection of ridiculous knives and guns, nor would I show them off to someone I'd just met.

The op raised concerns about some of his collection. So no sir I'm not a knife w*nker and suggest a look in the mirror before pointing fingers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
 
Except i don't have a large collection of ridiculous knives and guns, nor would I show them off to someone I'd just met.

The op raised concerns about some of his collection. So no sir I'm not a knife w*nker and suggest a look in the mirror before pointing fingers.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Oh I am sorry, If I suggested that anyone on this forum who displayed their collection of knives, especially if they had big ones, that raised my concern, should be reported to the police, then I would admit I would be a W**ker too.This guy was actually on private land, let in through a locked gate,with the owners permission, and had is picture taken (what a liberty) and I am sure, a harmless conversation took place, which led to a talk on knives and guns, etc,he then showed pictures of his collection and a knife he was carrying which he claimed he used in his work,. Now for what reason do you think he should be reported to the Police?
 
Because the op raised concerns about the type of knives and guns he had and indeed their use.

There are plenty of threads where people point out how useless Rambo style knives are.

The op also gave the impression the young man's attitude was concerning hence not wanting him back on his land.

I wasn't at all saying anyone who displays knives on here should be reported to the police.


Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
 
The only concern shown by the OP, was that he thought he wasn't experienced enough to dig his pond, he didn't seemed concerned about his knives except he thought the neck knife was too "tactitool" for his liking, and he didn't like big knives. I see a lot of knife collections on here I don't like, but I wouldn't deride any one for collecting them, its up to them what they collect. If I got a contractor in to do a job in my house, it wouldn't worry me what kind of knife he had, as long as done the job I wanted him to do properly.
 
Let me clarify (before I get banned for calling him a ;)). I'm not only concerned that he doesn't seem to have a lot of digger experience (I'm sure he wouldn't still be employed if he couldn't do it), I'm concerned that he seems to be a knife and gun fanatic who doesn't realise that carrying offensive items like that could land him in serious troubles, flimsy excuses or not.

It was a Rambo First Blood Part II knife, by the way, for those who were curious. Ridiculous looking thing.

He's probably registered on here anyway... I'll wait and see how outrageous the quote is before getting too worried
 
Be tempted to drop his name with the local cop shop in a few months

To what end exactly? might create a bit more 'weapon fear' culture whichnis just what we need eh :rolleyes:


While we've all got out knives out lets stab each other in the back, or cut our noses off to spite our faces
 
If I accept the quote and get them to do the work I'll have a word with the boss and tell him I'm worried about that sort of thing. I've a feeling it will be way out of my price range anyway
 
The older I get the more I realise situations where I would have once thought were perfectly acceptable, now not so. I have had daft knives, weapons, etc but we hopefully mature and realise such things for what they are.

I am cursed with a long memory and have mocked beliefs and opinions in the past only to recoil embarrassingly in later years :)

Slong as he isn't hurting anyone and is harmless so be it. Would I want him working for me? If he can do the job sound, if not he doesn't get paid.

I would hope to take the time to gently advice of current legislation and maybe some pointers on better tools.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE