Met a knife idiot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I might be wrong but being on private land does not make carrying a knife legal without the express permission of the landowner.

I don't believe a 'Rambo' knife is a tool, trying to suggest it is, is IMHO an attempt to circumvent the law.

You're right I forgot about the 'tacticcool' neck knife, depending on the length that could well have been illegal too.

As well as it being in a car, it could have just as easily been in his boot or in his back pocket.

I never suggested collecting stupid knives is illegal I suggested carrying stupid knives is illegal, maybe check again in those law books.

As far as I can see unless you are a policeman or a judge my reading of the situation is just as valid as yours, and if two reasonable members of the public with an interest in knives can't agree. I don't fancy his chances in front of a jury.

I did check the law Books again, and in reality going by your assumptions, its always illegal to carry a knife, even if you have good reason,, the only problem i have is determining what you think is a stupid knife as you say carrying stupid knives is illegal........a machete, looks a bit stupid to me, should I report the gardener to the Police?....I watched a crime programme last night on TV, where 3 people were killed with a golf club, obviously a weapon that can kill, should i report all golfers to the police?.......my local Snap-ON Man has all sorts of screwdrivers, chisels, etc in his van should i report him?....................or should I get real, asnd remember what my dear old Dad once told me, "Never try to educate wood"

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The 'rambo' knife ain't illegal, but putting together this lad's desire to justify carrying it around with his desire to get a FAC isn't a good story.

I do agree with the desire to reeducate though.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The 'rambo' knife ain't illegal, but putting together this lad's desire to justify carrying it around with his desire to get a FAC isn't a good story.

I do agree with the desire to reeducate though.

I give up...............lol.......................looking for a quote to dig a pond, so I can put all my big knives in...........as i might want to get a FAC

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I did check the law Books again, and in reality going by your assumptions, its always illegal to carry a knife, even if you have good reason,, the only problem i have is determining what you think is a stupid knife as you say carrying stupid knives is illegal........a machete, looks a bit stupid to me, should I report the gardener to the Police?....I watched a crime programme last night on TV, where 3 people were killed with a golf club, obviously a weapon that can kill, should i report all golfers to the police?.......my local Snap-ON Man has all sorts of screwdrivers, chisels, etc in his van should i report him?....................or should I get real, asnd remember what my dear old Dad once told me, "Never try to educate wood"

Luckily we don't have to go by my 'assumptions' (whatever you think they may be) we can go by the law.
The law also helps define what is a "stupid" knife.
Whatever you think of the law on carrying knives it is still a law.
It's there for better or worse to protect the majority even whilst inconveniencing the minority.

An oversized Rambo knife is not a tool. Comparing it to proper tool use is just too disingenuous.

I don't believe the OP would have bothered writing the post if the guy had pulled out a 'work' knife.
There'd be no ambiguity or argument. But you should understand that carrying an oversized 'Rambo' style knife is a very different proposition.

jmagee

Forager
Aug 20, 2014
Cumbria
As above really I'd love to hear anyone justify the Rambo knife on their person. There are many tools more suitable to laying hedges which are also more obviously tools and so less offensive.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
As above really I'd love to hear anyone justify the Rambo knife on their person. There are many tools more suitable to laying hedges which are also more obviously tools and so less offensive.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

It looks cool, and has lots of seriously looking blunt treeth on the back. Even cooler if it is black and has an elox stippled Al handle with a survival kit hidden inside. It also should have a camo plastic scabbard with a text like "SEALS" or Spitsnas"

(Just joking)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It looks cool, and has lots of seriously looking blunt treeth on the back. Even cooler if it is black and has an elox stippled Al handle with a survival kit hidden inside. It also should have a camo plastic scabbard with a text like "SEALS" or Spitsnas"

(Just joking)

Damn, mine didn't have SEALS or S.A.S on it or anything :(

Did have a catapult built into the sheath though :cool:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Actually thinking back to my own 'rambo' style knife i had as a kid i genuinely did use it as a tool for all sorts of things. Including hedge laying.....not saying it was any good lol but it was cool and i used it

Good job its not really the business of the police to decide what tool i should use for what job eh. I have the RIGHT to use a pefectly crappy tool
I remember telling a scaffolder off for using my spanner as a hammer.....that is REALLY the wrong tool for the job, armed response would have been best for that situation really, silly me just got over it and moved on

Seriousness has left the building! :p

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I really didn't want to reply to this thread anymore, but KenThis you dont seem to have much Idea regarding the Law and the carrying of Knives, I suggest you get yourself a cup of tea and read about them, you have misquoted the Law on too many occasions to be au fait with it, let me give an example of one of your quotes

You're right I forgot about the 'tacticcool' neck knife, depending on the length that could well have been illegal too.

In this case the length of the knife does not come into it, any fixed blade knife is illegal to carry( unless you have good reason), the length of the cutting edge would only come into account if it was non locking and under 3 inches long.

As well as it being in a car, it could have just as easily been in his boot or in his back pocket.

In law it would make no difference if its in your pocket, boot or in your car, your car, in Law, is classed as a public place( unless its on private Land, eg. your driveway,

I have read the related Laws, and in no section does it clarify, or define what a "stupid knife" is.

Now although it may seem difficult to justify carrying a Rambo style knife, (dont know why its called oversized, as its much shorter than a sword), lets say that with his experience of digging ponds, which may mean the removal of trees , bushes etc, he had found that this knife was the best knife for removing the roots that are deep in the holes he was digging to make the pond, I myself have used a Dartmoor Knife for this purpose and found it quite suitable, the saw back comes in handy..

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The title was changed for a reason, one that fits the ethos of the site.

I have two concerns about any lad like this.
One, by the sounds of it his behaviour is exactly the kind that gives everybody else who carries a knife a bad name. Folks look at him and either fret or shake their heads. Either way, it's not exactly encouraging, is it ?
We have had enough screaming banner headlines.
Round here the last MP's stated warcry was, and I jest you not, "Carry a Knife, go to Jail!!!". I suppose having his patch the murder capital of Europe didn't help any there though :sigh: even I, little middle aged lady that I am, got wary about being seen with a knife outdoors for a bit. I even bought one of those hooked and brush ended mushroom ones :rolleyes: (lethal damned things, better off with a wee necker) just to look less 'knifey'.

Secondly, if someone as calm and sensible as Spandit is discombobulated enough to comment about it, here, then I reckon there was something enough off about the situation to raise a certain wariness. One has to wonder just where else he's showing off his tools, and just how soon he's going to irk or fret or concern someone else enough to land himself in hot water.
If he's trying for his FAC does he not need a mentor ? surely someone will have a word with him about suitable behaviour?

M

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I really didn't want to reply to this thread anymore, but KenThis you dont seem to have much Idea regarding the Law and the carrying of Knives, I suggest you get yourself a cup of tea and read about them, you have misquoted the Law on too many occasions to be au fait with it, let me give an example of one of your quotes

In this case the length of the knife does not come into it, any fixed blade knife is illegal to carry( unless you have good reason), the length of the cutting edge would only come into account if it was non locking and under 3 inches long.

In law it would make no difference if its in your pocket, boot or in your car, your car, in Law, is classed as a public place( unless its on private Land, eg. your driveway,

I have read the related Laws, and in no section does it clarify, or define what a "stupid knife" is.

Now although it may seem difficult to justify carrying a Rambo style knife, (dont know why its called oversized, as its much shorter than a sword), lets say that with his experience of digging ponds, which may mean the removal of trees , bushes etc, he had found that this knife was the best knife for removing the roots that are deep in the holes he was digging to make the pond, I myself have used a Dartmoor Knife for this purpose and found it quite suitable, the saw back comes in handy..

Thanks for the heads up.
You're right I'm no expert so I'm happy to go with what you say.

In summary
"any fixed blade knife is illegal to carry( unless you have good reason)"

"carrying it anywhere in belongings or on person is classed as public space (unless on private land (with landowners permission))."

As for the idea of 'stupid' knives you brought that up first in post 35 I just followed on from that. Although I find your focus on that term odd, I'll happily concede it's not the best term, ignore it if you like as it doesn't alter the argument.

I fully admit I'm no expert on current knife law, I've never read it, never needed to. However I'd humbly suggest your facts do more to bolster my argument than yours.
Since now all the argument boils down to is whether or not one can ever have a good reason to carry an "oversized Rambo knife" (OP description somewhere I think).
I say there is no good reason to be carrying such a knife in the situation described, it is not and could not be considered a suitable tool by any reasonable man.
Furthermore I say that even if it were a tool it should be in a tool box and not carried on someones person.

Luckily it doesn't matter if I'm wrong in my assertions, deciding how to apply the law is down to the police and the CPS. I would be very much within my rights (and as far as I'm concerned moral obligation) to report the person to the police. Deciding what to do with the information is down to them and deciding whether the man in question had broken the law would be down to a judge and jury.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If he's trying for his FAC does he not need a mentor ?

No, the mentor condition is not law and not often used from what i gather from different areas. Even when it is used it is only usually applied to centerfire rifles. Never heard of a mentoring condition being applied to FAC air or rimfire

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, my confusion, sorry.

"DSC1 or Mentoring Conditions:
Having a Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1 may be a requirement before they allow you to stalk deer. There is no legal requirement for this and if your FEO states this you might want to consider contacting one of the organisations such as BASC for advice.
Some forces will insist you have a mentor depending on the area you live. It seems the more rural you are the less restrictions that will apply. If you don't have anyone who can mentor you then your FEO might know someone suitable who you can contact. There is nothing in the firearms law that says you need a mentor."

I know three lads round here who have had 'mentors' though, so I rather thought it was normal.

By the sounds of it, this young man might benefit from one though.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE