Mess Kit Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The aluminium/mental health link has been shot down.

The nesting 'Bulldog' style sets are very good, I've used one set for over 40 years now.

This sort of thing, three pans for the price of one Zebra

eBay 400024144174

I highly reccomend the non stick Trangia frying pan, they come in two sizes, this is the small one

eBay 260279711498

Or folding handle frying pan

eBay 270342478299

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Yep, the Ali myth was disproven last year- there was a spread on the BBC news website. Something to do with the test subjects being on pills containing aluminium nitrate that wasn't known at the time!!

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Or how about this - a 3 piece titanium set which will boil, bake, fry and stew, has a BIG mug for tea, and hold windshields, teeny backup stove, pot handler, pot cozy and pot cleaner! Phew. Weighs about 700 g all in.

p1000770vk9.jpg

p1000771ym7.jpg

Bimble thanks for that insight, something I havent really thought about especially for doing things like pasta and rice. When making tea i usually put hot water into a cup with a tea bag and then add milk. However I guess its a kind of chicken and the egg thing everyone has there own way.

Still having a think about the pots. One thing that came to my mind this morning is that the girlfriend bought me a Pocket Rocket for Xmas. Will the pots (either zebra or tatonka or even the crusader) be ok sitting on this or will it topple? The gas cylinder on it will be of medium size.

I think I am set on getting the NATO water bottle and possibly the stainless crusader cup Is the holder/pouch also worth it? I see on the woodlore site that its only the water bottle and the crusader cup however on other sites the water bottle comes with a black cup that sits on top of the bottle. Is this the same thing or different?

Dec 16, 2007
The plastic cup is there if you just want to use that to drink from in the old days (q wobbly screen and sad music) they did not have crusader cups to cook in, the bottle and webbing system was called '58 because it was made around 1958 and all cooking was done in mess tins. In the 80's a metal mug was made in the private secter that would replace the plastic one but was not big enough to cook the compo gold cans and you burnt your lips if drinking hot brews out of if boiled in the cup so still need mess tins. Then boil in bag rats came along and you can fit 1 to 2 in a crusader which was a bit like the old US '44 mugs. so now you can have the best of both worlds with crusader and plastic in your kit or save a bit of weight and bin the plastic stick some black nasty on the lip of the crusader so you dont burn yourself and crack on from there. the crusader is good for a belt kit but in your main cooking kit go with a billy/hobo/mess tins etc.

Just my £10 worth.

Swampy.

I finally took the plunge and bought myself the bottle and crusader cup. I wasnt expecting them until next week but i returned home today to find the usual postie note through the door altough this one just said "IN THE BIN". I dont know if he did it coz he wasnt wanting me to have the trouble of going upto the depot to collect or if he was in a hurry.

Anyways I got it out the wrapping and found it is actually a bit larger than what I thought it would be. Havent tried it out yet but I will do on my next outing.

With regards to the cup i read that its best to put tape on the rim. Is this right?

Thanks all for the advice, its always appreciated as usual. :D

Dec 16, 2007
With regards to the cup i read that its best to put tape on the rim. Is this right?

Yes as in the above post use black nasty (gaffer tape) called black nasty as it leaves a horrible sticky mess when you pull it off.

The Tatonka billys are just as good I`ve heard, for some reason they call them kettles though ??

i've used a tatonka kettle over many years(since 1999 if i remember correct) and it works quite well. as they're lighter and therefore thinner than zebras i had some problems with cooking rice in them as it tends to stick to the bottom and the lid has-due to his construction- the habit of letting liquid dribble out- no problem for me as i always cooked over open fire but i do not know what happens with stoves.
lid can be used as a frying pan as well, but due to it's shape not the best solution.

to cut it short: in my opinion a good piece of kit.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone have problems cooking in alu?
I seem to remember many years ago (when I last used them) they were a nightmare for things sticking to them??! Or was it just me with carp cooking skills.
I do like the look of those bulldog style but would stainless if available be more non stick?
Dave
Got to say I haven't seen any in stainless

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Not trying to hijack this thread but does anyone have problems cooking in alu?
I seem to remember many years ago (when I last used them) they were a nightmare for things sticking to them??! Or was it just me with carp cooking skills.
I do like the look of those bulldog style but would stainless if available be more non stick?
Dave
Got to say I haven't seen any in stainless

TC,

My trangia frying pan is notorious for things sticking to it mate. Stirring alot is the answer imo.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE