Men of Inspiration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Michael Faraday

I like how he turned down a knighthood, president of the royal society and a request from the government to advise on making chemical weapons for the Crimean war. Add in his lowly start as the third son of someone who left his apprenticeship to a blacksmith in Westmoreland to take his family to London. I think his parents had guts to do that and led to his apprenticeship as a bookbinder. Uneducated he self educated. I guess if you can read you can learn!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Out of curiosity how do you get the link to display like that button in grey?

You mean the Wiki Link Paul B?? Just search and find the name , if there is a Wiki Link to the person , copy & paste and it will provide a automatic hyperlink to the Page. HTH

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
I might be about to say something controversial. Some of these guys are just good guys, they are not meeting the initial criteria of being masculine. Nobody is going to get excited about Fred Dibnah, no matter how big his chimney is

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I might be about to say something controversial. Some of these guys are just good guys, they are not meeting the initial criteria of being masculine. Nobody is going to get excited about Fred Dibnah, no matter how big his chimney is

Interesting. I think its all pretty subjective about who inspires us - When I put Male / Male / Masculine I merely wanted to reaffirm that I merely was seeking a Male List of individuals. I think I'm fair in saying Brunel isn't much of a Hottie but I do feel inspired by him.

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Interesting. I think its all pretty subjective about who inspires us - When I put Male / Male / Masculine I merely wanted to reaffirm that I merely was seeking a Male List of individuals. I think I'm fair in saying Brunel isn't much of a Hottie but I do feel inspired by him.
Sorry, I thought we were after hotties who were inspirational. If the criteria is just an inspirational man then they are fine choices.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I don't think Vin Diesel is from the common weath. Both hot though. You could have said Russll Crowe and Colin Firth. Both hot also, but opposites in terma of commonwealth and masculinity type

Sorry , No , I've skipped topics - You mentioned what your version of masculinity is - My point , Which I made badly is that for some Orlando Bloom is at one end of the spectrum as opposed to MR Diesel. Regardless of where they were Born.

Interesting , that you say Colin Firth - I don't see it myself but there you go!!!!

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
TeeDee. I'm loving the thread and you have clearly found a stimulating topic. Am I the only one dying with curiosity as to why you asked the question and why the criteria?

Plenty of women and and men of other nationalities have been inspiring. Amundsen
springs to mind and reminded me that Robert Falcon Scott should be on your list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allison McKenzie

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
TeeDee. I'm loving the thread and you have clearly found a stimulating topic. Am I the only one dying with curiosity as to why you asked the question and why the criteria?

Plenty of women and and men of other nationalities have been inspiring. Maureen springs to mind and reminded me that Robert Falcon Scott should be on your list.

I think I'd better message you.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Celia Fiennes would probably have objected to being classed as Manly but she certainly was a tough character.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria

Plenty of women and and men of other nationalities have been inspiring. Amundsen
springs to mind and reminded me that Robert Falcon Scott should be on your list.
I wondered why the criteria too. Inspiration had no nationality and male criteria misses out on a vast pool if inspirational people. There's a definite reason that might involve a discussion among the OPs friends.

Whatever the reason it's certainly stimulating although a part of me wants to know what females of inspiration posters on this website would come up with too. I'm not going to start a copycat thread for that though I would find that potentially more simulating. I mean I know of more men of inspiration for obvious reasons but there's less publicity over the years for women of inspiration. Like the woman who basically was the peer of anyone in her days who basically invented computing/programming, all in the 18th century I believe.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I wondered why the criteria too. Inspiration had no nationality and male criteria misses out on a vast pool if inspirational people. There's a definite reason that might involve a discussion among the OPs friends.

Whatever the reason it's certainly stimulating although a part of me wants to know what females of inspiration posters on this website would come up with too. I'm not going to start a copycat thread for that though I would find that potentially more simulating. I mean I know of more men of inspiration for obvious reasons but there's less publicity over the years for women of inspiration. Like the woman who basically was the peer of anyone in her days who basically invented computing/programming, all in the 18th century I believe.

Feel free to do what you wish , but my thread and my criteria have been set out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE