Meindl Borneo boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Father Jake

Oct 22, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello all.

I'm after a pair of new boots and have been looking at Meindl Borneo's. The only trouble is, having looked at reviews of Meindl boots in general there are some that have claimed that sole tends to wear away or disintegrate either really quickly or over time, turning to powder in some cases. Has anybody else experienced this issue with meindls, specifically the Borneos?

Are there any other similar Meindl alternatives?

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'm after a pair of new boots and have been looking at Meindl Borneo's..."

With my first pair of Meindl Borneo's (purchased in 1998), I managed to walk thousands of kilometers with the original soles. They were without a doubt the best made and most comfortable boots I have ever worn (I still use them occasionally). My current pair (purchased in 2007) have two wide splits in the sole of each boot and although I was still impressed with the leather-work and how comfortable they were out of the box, I am a bit disappointed that these soles are of a reduced quality.

No doubt when they are resoled I will get another few years out of them, more if I can find a decent sole. :)

Last edited:

RJames

Forager
Jun 25, 2008
Durham, UK
I have worn the same pair of Meindl dovre extreme boots almost daily for the last 3 years and the sole is still going strong. Bombproof very well build boots imho

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have a pair of Burma's and a pair of Desert Fox's.

Both pairs have seen heavy usage and both are still going strong. The Desert Fox are worn whenever I'm not in work with the Burma's used for hillwalking ( and the rcent snow).

I've no experience of the Borneo's, but from my experience of Meindle to date, would be happy to buy them ...if they fit.

Simon

I've just bought a pair of Borneos, to replace my old Burmas, which are now relegated to the garden.

Bought in 2002, I have walked well over a thousand miles in the Burmas, and the soles are getting worn down along the outside edges. The Goretex liner has also worn through over both big toes - possibly they are a half-size too small. The new boots have leather linings instead, whichis nice. I'm still running them in at present, but so far I see no reason to expect them to last any less well.
Ask me again in 5 years or so ;)

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have used the same pair of Meindls regularly for about 12 years and the soles and everything about them are still in great condition. They are streets ahead of all the others I tried (Lowa, Scarpa, Zamberlan, Junior Sport).

Meindls are about the widest fitting boot if that's of any relevance.

NS

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I purchased a pair of the none gortex one's in 2008, wore them on the hills(Hadrian's wall)straight out of the box, very happy with them.

Rob

law4dkr

Jan 2, 2011
Herts/Notts
I have a pair of Meindl Jerseys and they are excellent, by far the best boots I've ever owned and I do loads of hill and mountain walking. A lot of my friends have had Meindl's and none of them have ever mentioned any issues like the ones you mention. I can't recommend Meindl boots highly enough.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Used the Borneos for years with no problems, main reason I changed away was that they're quite heavy and I really wanted something lighter.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
i have a pair - the soles did wear pretty quickly, although i wore them a lot, but very good and comfortable boots

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I had a pair of Boreos which I loved, until my son's feet grew and he appropriated them. He had a problem with the heel lining and as he was going to Ecuador last summer started shopping for replacements. The Outdoorshop said they would send the old ones back to Meindl to see what they thought and he might get a credit against a new pair even thoug they were years old .... Meindl simply sent him a new pair of boots by return. For myself I found the new ones slightly tight and did not want to go up a half size but after trying some Asolo 200s I found their fit great, not what I was expecting from an "Italian" boot.

Dec 13, 2009
bedfordshire
i too have the Meindl Jerseys, i go out about 3 times a week in them all year round,
and have had them 4 years ! a great solid comfy boot, if i had to pick a fault ,it would be a little too heavy.
saying that i wouldnt hesitate to buy meindl again..

O

Oneiromancer

I've been hiking quite a lot in several types of boots, but after just two days of hiking with these boots, the pain in my heels was so bad that I actually put them off and went the rest of the way barefoot, feeling much better as soon as I did so. I later bought some sandals for the rest of the way and had no further trouble. These boots may seem good at first, but once you've walked with them for long enough your achilles tendons feel like they're about to rupture if you will walk with them much longer. These boots do have a very good grip, however, so they might be good for climbing, but that's probably all they're good for. If you want good hiking boots, I think army boots are still the best.

BoDuke

Apr 9, 2012
Plymouth
I've had two pairs of Meindl footwear. Respond GTX shoes and Revolite boots. I feel as though the soles on the shoes have worn very quickly compared to an old pair of adidas trainers i had, and both were worn over the same time period/distance. The meindls are very comfortable, superbly made and have never leaked. I swapped the boots for a pair of Lowas as preferred a higher leg boot, but again, well put together and very comfortable.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I have meindl vermonts,they been on many walks and still fine with no problems whatsoever.the best boots ive ever had.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE