Maya Dust - next to useless?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
:morpheus: Also look for standing dead pines sometimes you can pull dead limbs off and where they attached to the trunk you will find what we in Florida called lighter knot. Shave of some shavings or bust up with the back of your axe. Works almost as well.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've never had a problem lighting fresh scrapings from fatwood. Maybe the problem with the maya dust is that it has oxidized and a lot of the volatiles have evaporated. A little carbide paint scraper blade works a treat for scraping fatwood. Same scraper I use for scraping magnesium blocks. It also throws an amazing spark from a firesteel.

magnesium_fs_altoids_kit3b.jpg

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I always thought Maya dust was supposed to work, so I'm glad you all say it's not.

What a lot of balls that is then. Why are these guys allowed to sell it if it simply doesn't work? :confused:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I always thought Maya dust was supposed to work, so I'm glad you all say it's not.

What a lot of balls that is then. Why are these guys allowed to sell it if it simply doesn't work? :confused:

Works in the desert or areas of drought,nae probs :p

Just not hereabouts...

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Works in the desert or areas of drought,nae probs :p

Just not hereabouts...

Hmmm...it could be that another problem with the dust is that it absorbs too much moisture. I'd bet that a stick of fatwood would absorb much less moisture than the dust. In fact, I've dunked fatwood in water, then scraped it and lit the scrapings with a firesteel. Sounds like buying it as dust is a waste of money and scraping it ahead of time is a waste of time.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
And if in doubt,
get the inner tube out,
with a wee gas lighter,
makes you look brighter. ;)

Says he who cannae get a firelighter to go...lol.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If anyone here makes something out of Lignum vitae and has to plane it*, the shavings are slightly oily to the touch and catch a spark and burn well.

Its not worth buying because of that but if you have some shavings kicking around its
worth giving it a bash.

*Block plane with a very high angle ground on the blade (50 or so degrees) to minimise tear out otherwise the wood you are planing looks gash IMO..

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Get an old smokers baccy pouch and put birch peelings and fluffy seed heads (thistle, fireweed, etc) in as you go along. You'll light it from a ferro rod every time. Take tumble dryer lint if that's your thing, but with the number of available tinders in the woods I cannot see the point.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think I figured out the Maya dust stuff.........it works better when it's warm :rolleyes:
Keep it in your trouser pocket and it seems to work fine :)

Have to admit though, thistle down or cat tail seedheads and birch bark works for me.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I got hold of some to try and see why it was 'supposedly' the wonder firelight stuff.
All I can say is that, well, it works, but
a) it's expensive,
b) it's not that brilliant,
c) it's not native,
d) I can make better from what I find growing locally.

cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Try adding a bit of Turpentine to the dust . . . much better.
Kev

Maybe the problem with the maya dust is that it has oxidized and a lot of the volatiles have evaporated.

I think I figured out the Maya dust stuff.........it works better when it's warm :rolleyes:
Keep it in your trouser pocket and it seems to work fine :)
cheers,
Toddy

Seems to me that the answer is here for the reading,
I have no doubt that the product works well when produced, but in the time that it takes to be transported/stored/toted around the woodland for a few years, all the volatile organic solvents have been driven off, leaving plain old saw-dust in a tin!
Processing a Maya stick immediately before your fire if fine, as the sticks last a lot longer as a viable means of fire-lighting, than the dust.
I dug up an old conifer root yesterday and broke it into slivers that certainly smell like the right stuff - a short while drying out and I'll get bak with an answer.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE