Maya Dust - next to useless?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Went for a stroll through the snow today - magic day out except that I tried to light my fire with a tin of maya dust someone gave me for christmas ('cos it's sold as bushy kit and they know I am into bushy stuff). Never used it before and had heared that it was anything but ecofriendly as they cut down the trees and do not replant.

Back to the story.....

I couldn't get it to take a spark despite a veritable shower of sparks - all I got was a slight ember and some charring. Not impressed, but prepared to accept it was my technique (and a new firesteel,) I repaired to the nearest birch tree and got some bark strippings. Lit first time! No problem.

Any opinions?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Not at all useless,
Its a very good tinder tin that comes packed with some fire resistant packing to help keep its shape. Upon reciept, merely shake out the packing material and fill the tin with your own home-made tinder, charcloth, firesteel etc etc.

:tapedshut

Ogri the trog

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Ogri the trog said:
Not at all useless,
Its a very good tinder tin that comes packed with some fire resistant packing to help keep its shape. Upon reciept, merely shake out the packing material and fill the tin with your own home-made tinder, charcloth, firesteel etc etc.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Funnily enough, I have kept the tin.

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
i have usedit once not bad another wee thing i use is a wee bit of wood shavings get some old aftershave and put a few drops into the shavings put into desired container and it lights first time every time

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I also got a tin for Chrimbo from somebody but I`ve not even looked at it yet.

Is it just ground up punk wood ?

Hey Riggers, does that help attract female bushcrafters !.
60% of the time it works every time!

If Joy is reading this then it was a lovely present and thanks very much for getting it for my birthday. You can stop reading now ;)

For everyone else, I can't even light my may dust with tissue paper which I can light on the first of second go, that's how non-flammable it is. Mine came in a plastic container, which I might use for storing other things.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Maya Dust Instructions

1 Open Tin
2 Throw contents of tin over your shoulder ( making sure you are outside or somewhere else safe)
3 Fill tin with your own tinder or charcloth etc
4 Place lid back on tin

You now have useable tinder in a tin

I don't agree with paying for saw dust when you can get your own any time you do any wood work and soak it in a flamable liquid and leave it to dry. It will still light after drying due to being saturated.

Sorry if I am telling you how to suck eggs, but it's what I have found to work

Phill

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Buy maya sticks, run them through a pencil sharpener.. keep shavings in maya dust tin.. crumble shavings between fingers.. light with fire stick! sorted!

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
60% of the time it works every time!

If Joy is reading this then it was a lovely present and thanks very much for getting it for my birthday. You can stop reading now ;)

For everyone else, I can't even light my may dust with tissue paper which I can light on the first of second go, that's how non-flammable it is. Mine came in a plastic container, which I might use for storing other things.

Haha yes I am, and I would say a similar thing about the person who bought me my maya dust, except he's not on here. Honestly, I can light mine fine in the ashtray, but outside...it's easier to light my own foot than it is the maya dust! Had I found this out BEFORE buying yours, I wouldn't have. Bought it that is. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE