Match cases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Amen to that.

I have a few pieces of outdoor kit that I take on every trip. The K and M matchcase is one. When canoeing I keep it in my buoyancy aid.

It is reliably waterproof.
It holds a lot of matches.
You can strike them on the knurled body.
The compass is reliable and useable.
The aluminium version is very light.

I reckon the K and M matchcase is the best of its kind and I'm grateful to Schwert for sourcing them for us. I have no connection except as a satisfied customer.

The brass one makes a nice gift/heirloom, but, IMHO, is too heavy for the backpacker.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Schwert - Thanks for getting back to me on that one. No doubt I'll have to stop putting off the inevitable and get myself ordering.

I thought it may have been the case that the powder coated ones had been difficult to fabricate. Nevermind....its an excellent range anyway.

Now where did I put m'wallet ;)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
The long cases are really quite long aren’t they!

Any one used them as an emergency kit container, if so, what did you manage to get in it?

leon-1

Geuf said:
except for the compass, why don't you guys use filmroll cases?

It also depends on the match that you put in them, the Penleys ones are a fair bit longer than normal Swan Vesta's that we get in this country and would not fit in a 35mm film case without being cut down.

The K&M cases also have a double O ring seal that makes them very dependable on the waterproofing side of life.

They obviously have the advantage of being a lot more robust than a 35mm film case and can be attached to a button hole (or suitable attachment point) using the little lanyard that comes with it.

These are a few of the benefits to them and I hope that it goes towards answering your question in part at least.:)

longshot

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 16, 2006
Newfoundland, Canada
just a thought, but you can get large pill bottles here in Canada at the pharmacy, chemist in the UK i believe, you can get a lot of matches and or kit into one of them, not as pretty as a proper match case or as robust but more accessable for those starting out and or on a budget.

dean

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I received my K&M match case today – it’s really nice.

I didn’t realise that the cap was a push fit; I had assumed that it screwed on, but it seems quite secure, has anyone had any problems with this. Also do people use the plastic end cap to protect the compass or do you risk it?

AJB

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Must say I'm quite surprised to here the cases aren't threaded. I thought from the images on the site they we're :confused: It doesn't seem, from what I've read, to be a problem though.

Well I'd be interested to know how you get on with it, once its been tried and tested. BTW which model did you opt for? Is there plenty of room for the Penley's?

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
scruff said:
Must say I'm quite surprised to here the cases aren't threaded. I thought from the images on the site they we're :confused: It doesn't seem, from what I've read, to be a problem though.

Well I'd be interested to know how you get on with it, once its been tried and tested. BTW which model did you opt for? Is there plenty of room for the Penley's?

Hi Scruff,

Ditto – I supposed I just assumed, probably because most water proof things screw down onto a gasket. I’m not saying I don’t like them; it’s just not what I expected. The end seems fairly secure, but they do advise the use of an elaborate bit of string wrapping to keep them on!

I went for the brass version of standard length and the Penleys fit perfectly and strike very well on the outside. It will fit about twenty matches loosely, but I’ve packed them all in the same orientation, if you filled it randomly you would probably get more in. it will also fit the micro firesteels I’ve just ordered – I like the idea of having a back up firesteel in there too.

I’m a bit concerned that the compass is a bit vulnerable, but I’m not keen on the plastic cap they supply – does anyone know if you can buy replacement compasses to fit?

Anyone used one of these for any length of time?

AJB

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've been using one for a while now. it's a great bit of kit (i have the aluminium version in my belt pouch).
if used correctly the push fit is better than a screw thread. with the soft metals used for the case there is a risk of cross threading (especially when you have cold hands) and if that happens your case is no longer waterproof. twisting the lid with the lanyard attached provides a secure fit every time and is more resistant to rough handling.
the protective compass cover while not to everyones taste, is quite effective for protecting the compass from knocks. and in the event that it does get damaged, it's a standard sunnto button compass and should be easy to replace.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Anybody know of a flat style match case that fits in a trouser pocket better than a big, heavy round lump??? Kephart mentions that style in his book but I've never seen anything other than the round cylinder type.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
retrohiker said:
Anybody know of a flat style match case that fits in a trouser pocket better than a big, heavy round lump??? Kephart mentions that style in his book but I've never seen anything other than the round cylinder type.

I imagine it's harder to get a good waterproof seal on a rectangular box than on a round box.

If you're willing to spend time preparing your matches by dripping molten candle wax over them to waterproof them, I suppose a Fisherman's Friend tin would do the job.

K.

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
I've got a K&M case and it's a great piece of kit.

However, in the past I've used a short length of plastic plumbing pipe and a couple of push-fit stop ends:
http://www.casupply.co.uk/acatalog/Speedfit_Plastic_Plumbing.html
Most branches of B&Q and Wickes etc sell them.
The stop ends have O-ring seals inside them and make a completely waterproof unit (they grip the pipe with internal stainless steel teeth, so make sure you get the ones which have a little collet which you pull back to release the fitting. In the past, I've removed the collet and teeth from one of the stop ends so it just becomes a friction fit).

Not as elegant as the K&M cases, but you can pick your case length and have a choice of two diameters :)

best
Matt

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
retrohiker said:

The flat style are a more traditional match case. they used to be made in silver. You can still find them in antique fairs and the like - I occasionally get given them as heirlooms/ handed down items.

Sort of like this

2f_1_b.JPG

I don't know if they still make them. probably I would guess.
:)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
AJB said:
I've given up on the company I ordered these from - anyone know a supplier of these microfiresteels (except - http://www.campingsurvival.com/flintbar18x2.html - see resources section - 'what customer service!')

Ta

AJB

Have you tried Hoods Woods?

The firesteels are smaller than the ones on the square magnesium bars. Great for slipping into matchsafes and I carry one in my wallet. They also sell them in packages of 5.

This might make a great group buy. Just to warn ya, one is never enough. You will not have trouble squirreling away 5 or 10 of them. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE