Match Case With Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Are these made in the UK or the USA? Or other???

I am in the US and am wondering if there is any way to get some? And what the price would be(shipping and paypal included...)

If the price is not TOO much, I would want:
1 Black Al.
1 Brass
1 Orange

By the way, unless power coat means something different in the UK, it is MUCH better than paint!

leon-1

jamesraykenney said:
Are these made in the UK or the USA? Or other???

I am in the US and am wondering if there is any way to get some? And what the price would be(shipping and paypal included...)

If the price is not TOO much, I would want:
1 Black Al.
1 Brass
1 Orange

By the way, unless power coat means something different in the UK, it is MUCH better than paint!

Hi, they are handmade in the US :)

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Thanks Leon for keeping the list up and for BCUK coming back on-line.

I have had word from Keith over the last several weeks and we are actually getting very close to the finalizing orders bit.

I am estimating that around June 1 we will start the whole process. Keith may actually have some cases before then, but I have a holiday scheduled in May.

Keith has received some excellent jeweled Suunto compasses and was working on some preproduction pieces for me to photograph.

I have a complete list of your requests and you....the most patient.....are first on my list for delivery.

I now have about 23 requests for orange and no idea how many cases Keith may actually have....so I have kept a list of prioritized requests.

Keith lives in Elk River Idaho, a small town in Central Idaho. All shipping will be direct from Elk River.

Thanks again,

Randy

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
My samples from Keith just arrived.

The new Suunto compass is quite nice. I will be taking pictures of these this weekend for posting and will confirm with Keith that we are ready to go.

Keith sent me the

Traditional Brass
Black Anodized Aluminium
Orange Powdercoated Aluminium

AND

Bright Yellow Powdercoated Aluminium

Pictures and more info to follow.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Here is a preliminary shot of the 4 cases from Keith.

The yellow and orange are powdercoated and would be hard to lose in the woods, the black is anodized, and the brass is nicely traditional but 3 times heavier.

The Suunto compass is jeweled, liquid filled, and quickly settles.

Note the double O-ring seal on the plug which is held in place by twisting the plug and tensioning the cords around the case body.

Keith supplies a compass cover, spare O-rings and cord, and a nice set of instructions.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I got a bit of time this weekend to shoot some outside shots of the 4 cases from Keith....nicer colors with natural light.

kmquad36190my.jpg

kmquad36920sh.jpg

I tried to get a good shot of the double O-ring seal on the plug and the slightly roughened inside surface that serves as a striker for our strike-anywhere type matches.

And note the properly closed and secured cases with the cords twisted and tensioned around the case body.

I think we will be ready to begin sales in June. I am on holiday in May so when I return we will move down to the classifieds and give this all a go.

Grez

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
-
Is there any update regarding the price? I looked throught the entire thread but only found the original estimated price in dollars.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
schwert this might seem like a slightly obscure but do you think you could see if the abracive(sp) surface on the out side is abracive(sp??) enough to ligth swan vistas? the case i have at the moment cant! :rolleyes:

EDIT: thats if you have them over there?

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Tom,

I have a packet of Swan Vestas that I picked up in Sweden....these are strike on the box type matches. They cannot be lit on the case. These may not be the same matches you have in the UK. Strike on the box matches are designed to use two chemical components....one on the striker strip on the box and one in the match head...both are required to ignite the match.

I think you will have to cut the striker panel off the box and slip it into the case...chemical side to the metal of the case unless you can buy strike-anywhere matches.

Strike anywhere matches are not sold in some of our states, cannot be shipped by mail or carried by aircraft. Fortunately they are easy to get here in Washington state. Canada has a brand called RedBird that are similar but I do not know about the UK.

I hope this helps...

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
the large uk type strike anywhere matches are not avalible over here... the swan matches we have here are not the sort which have to be struck on the box.. their boxed only have a bit of sand paper down the side.. the matches we have here called swan vistas can be struck on a rock or the like.. but it needs to be a fairly rough surface.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Tom,

That is good. The inside of the case plug is slightly roughened to provide a dry rough surface to strike our matches...it may work for you but I cannot confirm as I have never used those Swan's.

The exterior of the case where it is smooth cannot light our matches but the knurling can...the knurling is a bit aggressive and can break off the matchhead sometimes depending on how you support the head, and I have found the brass case knurling is better than the anodized aluminium (which is smoother). The Powder coated cases are very smooth as the paint has really filled all the metal voids and edges so the knurling will not work for me.

If your matches require a very aggressive surface then you can run the stopper across a very coarse sand paper to groove it more.

You will all want to evaluate the depth of the case and your matches...you definately want the matches shorter than the case....especially as you are turning the plug over the heads. You can carry them all head down, but more matches fit with half up half down and if short enough and not packed too tight to prevent movement of the sticks you will be fine....just confirm the stick length before use and trim is needed. I always shake the matches down, visually confirm they are in place then replace the plug.....not pointing it at my face too!

I am nearly 100% certain we will be set to go on this in June. If I was not on holiday in May then we could begin earlier, but June is looking very good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE