Match Case With Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I stopped by the post office yesterday. We have a special Global Priority mailer that is a flat $5 for whatever you can reasonably get into the envelop up to 4 pounds. These usually arrive in about a week.

I can reasonably (with padding) get 4 matchcases into one of these mailers.

I am not one that believes in enormous shipping and handling charges, so I am almost positive that this will mean that your shipping costs will be $5 for up to 4 cases in any mixture you prefer, brass or aluminum. Over 4 cases we would need to go to the $9 mailer.

I again want to thank all of you for your incredible patience and for Leon-1's assistance.

If all goes well with Keith, we will be moving over to the Classified Section in a couple of weeks to finish this long journey.

In the mean time please continue to express your interests here until we are completely set to go.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Schwert said:
Keith Beef,

I hope you can find a camera. That case sounds like a nice one. I saw on that someone made that was about that size. They used garden hose end-caps on both ends of a piece of brass or copper pipe. Bigger than the K&M's but it held a lot of matches.

I had hoped to borrow a decent camera; my camcorder, though it takes good pictures, doesn't work well in low light. But I dug out my daylight simulation bulb, and got a few pictures today, before and after a bit of re-working.

Click on a thumbnail to see a bigger picture.

View from above, wrapped in the soft satin cord (curtain tie-back type stuff).

View with the cap opened. There are thirty matches in there. Only safety matches, because I've not found any strike-anywhere matches yet...

There's enough room to put that little A.G.Russel "Ultimate Pen-knife" (VG10 blade, titanium scales) in there, for making fuzz-sticks.

And here it is; since I took off the cord, and put a leather cover on it. The two loops are so I can attach a neck cord (that satin cord, using sheet-bends).

It took me about ten minutes to make the case, then maybe another twenty to make the leather cover.

It's a piece of 32mm copper pipe, threaded at each end. I think it's intended as a joining piece. I glued a 32mm drain at each end, using Araldite.

It could probably hold about 90 matches, or 30 plus the little knife and a bit of tinder or a small candle. Or I could just about fit a trimmed down Swedish firesteel in there, plus tinder and knife.

It's more of a firekit case than a match case.

Keith.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Keith,

Very nice. I have not seen those endcap fittings before. Those are especially nice and the leather cover really sets this off. That would make a nice neck kit for sure. Thanks for the images.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Schwert said:
Keith,

Very nice. I have not seen those endcap fittings before. Those are especially nice and the leather cover really sets this off. That would make a nice neck kit for sure. Thanks for the images.

They're standard household plumbing fittings, here in France.

I've not tested the case for being waterproof... plumbing should be watertight :rolleyes: but if need be, I'm sure I can find rubber O-rings for these in the DIY supermarket.

Keith.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Keith, Those are much nice (thinner) plumbing fittings than I have ever seen over here. Makes for a much more compact case than I think I could make with our fittings.

Grummit....about 2 weeks or so to begin production. I am going to wait until I am absolutely certain Keith is making cases before setting up the transfer details though....so stand by.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I just heard from Keith. He is still awaiting approval compasses from Suunto which he expects anytime soon. He is now thinking he may have some cases in 2-3 weeks or so for final approval etc.

So let's keep our fingers crossed for about 4 weeks from now.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Keith still has not confirmed the Orange cases, but I have noted your interests in my local spreadsheet, and Leon will likely edit the last list when he stops by.

I have a handful of these and for some reason even I am now getting excited about more... :?:

Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I will have specifics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE