Mancave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Yeeha! Just finished laying the base for my future mancave. 8m x 4m, 250mm of hardcore and type 1, topped with steel reinforcing mesh,and 100mm of concrete. It's not going anywhere. I'll get started on the framing in the next few weeks. The small dip to the left, is the unlevel base of the old shed. When the new workshop is finished, I will screed the floor level.

View attachment 21802 View attachment 21803

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice I wish I could have a larger one, my 10x10 looked masive when I put it up and it was empty, it soon filled up, now got tools scattered over 3 sheds

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Nice one Colin.. I would love a small mancave in the back garden :)

That is a massive cave ! Nice one ! Looking forward to see the finished article !

Thanks guys.

You'll soon fill it Colin :)

Don't I know Steve, cheers.

I too have a mancave. It's called Dartmoor. :)

I apologise for my swinish self-satisfaction.

It's a tad larger than 8m x 4m. If I lived there as well, I would have a massive grin plastered over my boat race too.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm just about to start building in the back of my place, too; although mine will be a little smaller @ circa 6.5m x 3.5m..................I can't wait, I pay a shedload of rent (see what I did there?) for a barn about 2miles from the house and although better than nothing it's a pain, and all that rent money could be going on tools and materials.................

The feeling of anticipation reminds me of chrimbo as a kid........................good luck with yours, let us know how you get on, eh?.......................atb mac

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I'm just about to start building in the back of my place, too; although mine will be a little smaller @ circa 6.5m x 3.5m..................I can't wait, I pay a shedload of rent (see what I did there?) for a barn about 2miles from the house and although better than nothing it's a pain, and all that rent money could be going on tools and materials.................

The feeling of anticipation reminds me of chrimbo as a kid........................good luck with yours, let us know how you get on, eh?.......................atb mac

Cheers mac. Having my own workshop ought to expand the area of work I do, and be able to maybe branch out into something different.
Colin.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Nice I wish I could have a larger one, my 10x10 looked masive when I put it up and it was empty, it soon filled up, now got tools scattered over 3 sheds

Cheers Chris, I have an 8x6 and 6x3. both are full and neither are big enough for a couple of benches and my power tools. I also want to put a shave horse, and a pole/ spring lathe in there.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One course of semi engineering bricks to give a true level, DPC, then frames. 100mmx50mm Tanalized soleplates. Frames will made in 2.4m sections for ease of handling. Cheers

If you put DPC that's far wider than the wall (IIRC 450mm wide seems fairly common for this) on, have the DPC so its sticking out to the outside and flush on the inside then fold it up the outside of the frames, usually stapled to the OSB, then the Tyvek covering the frames overlaps the DPC and means that water can't possibly damage the frames.
That should give you 350mm of overlap between the DPC and the Tyvek. Not sure why its so big when 150mm overlap seems standard for everything else we do but that's the way we made em where I was timber framing a lot a while ago.

I have some photos showing it kicking about on the hard drive but can't find them right now.

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
Tommy Walsh did a nice one here is the video of the finished article.

[video=youtube;XWHpajevOa4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWHpajevOa4[/video]

Hope to build my own one day, I have the space just not the funds at the moment, there was a whole series on it showing him build it from start to finish.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
colin if you want a pole lathe in it you had better make it bigger lol regards dave

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
No mancave can be too big.

You're dead right. :)

If you put DPC that's far wider than the wall (IIRC 450mm wide seems fairly common for this) on, have the DPC so its sticking out to the outside and flush on the inside then fold it up the outside of the frames, usually stapled to the OSB, then the Tyvek covering the frames overlaps the DPC and means that water can't possibly damage the frames.
That should give you 350mm of overlap between the DPC and the Tyvek. Not sure why its so big when 150mm overlap seems standard for everything else we do but that's the way we made em where I was timber framing a lot a while ago.

I have some photos showing it kicking about on the hard drive but can't find them right now.

I know what you are saying, but it will not be possible to use that technique. Fences to three sides prohibit access. Frames will be prefinished before erection.

Hope to build my own one day, I have the space just not the funds at the moment, there was a whole series on it showing him build it from start to finish.[/QUOTE

Nice, I'm looking to something like that.

colin if you want a pole lathe in it you had better make it bigger lol regards dave

Lol. Dave it's 27 foot by 13 and a half foot, reckon I can squeeze one in.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
You're dead right. :)

I know what you are saying, but it will not be possible to use that technique. Fences to three sides prohibit access. Frames will be prefinished before erection.

Hope to build my own one day, I have the space just not the funds at the moment, there was a whole series on it showing him build it from start to finish.[/QUOTE

Nice, I'm looking to something like that.

Lol. Dave it's 27 foot by 13 and a half foot, reckon I can squeeze one in.

That sounds big enough I work better in ft rather than Mtrs
Regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE