Making mistakes make Mmmmm

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
First I tried to make some sort of fruity sweet in the dehydrator, after 12 hours it was still very sticky and moist. Maybe lemon curd don't work. Next I had ago at Dandelion honey, but for some reason it too did not thicken. So I hate wasting stuff so I mixed both the sweet lemon curd stuff and the so called honey together. Mmmmmmm lovely.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I found that if I tried something with much sugar added it would only finally dry out when the sugar became crystalline :rolleyes:

Try fruit leathers from pulp from apples or pears, absolutely delicious :D . Peaches, strained from a tin and mashed up with a fork, are really excellent.

I keep eyeing up the rhubarb that is taking over one corner of the garden but I dont think I'm quite brave enough to face that soor sook ............

cheers,
Toddy, who's now in the notion for lemon curd, and needs a recipe for lemon curd made without butter or eggs :confused:

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
The best things come from happy accidents. I must admit though that I personally wouldn't try dehydrating Lemon Curd on account of the egg content - mind you, I'm thinking of the home made variety here, I don't know what they use in the commercially made stuff.

I had a crack at making Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium) syrup the other day. Boiled it up with some sugar, left it in the pan to cool and discovered it had set. So now I have jam!

xylaria

What did the oregon grape jam taste like? Are you using the fruit the presume, ( BTW the flowers taste like lemon curd when they are in right state).

globetrotter you should really go for fruit leathers, they are a bit like fruit winders but so much better. plum and blackberry is my favorite.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Dehydrating fatty things like lemon curd probably wouldn't work, and the egg would make it hard too. Interesting idea though, even if it didn't work.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Yep, I was using the ripe fruits. It was a sort of experiment to see how they would taste as I've never tried them before. I'd say it has a similar bitter edge to Rowan berry, but it comes out the most amazing deep purple black, exactly like blackcurrant. I can imagine using it in the same sorts of situations as rowan jelly, served with roast meats or to add depth to gravies for example.

I'm guessing that the tartness gives it a decent amount of natural pectin since I hadn't added anything at all to achieve the set. My intention had been to make a syrup to use as a mixer to use like angostura bitters but as I said, it caught me by surprise and set into a light jelly after cooling instead.

I think the next experiment will be to add something else to the mix to see what it does - perhaps something seasonal like elderflower and saying that reminds me that I must get out and harvest some elder buds to pickle before they all go over.

Apr 17, 2008
Leeds/Bristol
I made a jar of the pickled elderbuds the other day using the recipe you provided COTW. It looks really good and I can't wait to try them! I love pickles. I only made the one half litre kilner jar of it in case I didn't like it. Remarkable self restraint on my part as I normally make one or two dozen of anything to try! lol!

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
would be an interesting experiment with the lemon curd thing ---- EGG works as dried egg so why not dried lemon curd -- Just a thought

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The thing is that lemon curd is made with butter too, and fats don't dry well.
I wonder if lemon curd made with cornflour, water, sugar and lemon juice might work though. It's not brilliant as a kind of jam (I've been trying the no dairy, no egg thing) but it might be okay dried out into a leather.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

The thing is that lemon curd is made with butter too, and fats don't dry well.
I wonder if lemon curd made with cornflour, water, sugar and lemon juice might work though. It's not brilliant as a kind of jam (I've been trying the no dairy, no egg thing) but it might be okay dried out into a leather.

cheers,
Toddy

It should work. I am thinking of custard dried around a bowl, and it peeling off in sheet. Might not be appetizing.

Off to experiment too:drive:

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hey Mina :) , let me know what you make of those - I really enjoy them. I want to make some Ash Key pickle when they're ripe enough too, which will be a new experiment for this year.

Must try to get hold of some samphire tomorrow and seabeet. I want to make a seabeet & mushroom pie (far tastier than it sounds, really!). I might try the the Oregon Grape jelly with mixed some other fruits for a leather too. Argh! So many things to have a crack at!

I'll be nterested to know how the Lemon 'curd' experiments go too.

May 27, 2008
Winchester
I made a jar of the pickled elderbuds the other day using the recipe you provided COTW. It looks really good and I can't wait to try them! I love pickles. I only made the one half litre kilner jar of it in case I didn't like it. Remarkable self restraint on my part as I normally make one or two dozen of anything to try! lol!

where can i find this recipe please i've got a lot of elder round my way
thanks

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
There are couple of things you can try at this time of year while you wait for the blossom to really get going. One is medicinal, the other two are culinary.

This recipe for ointment I found on the web ages ago (my thanks to the originator whose name I forget now). It has a high reputation for effectiveness:

Elder ointment
This green elder ointment is also called "Oil of Swallows" because it's made in the spring time when the swallows return ...

It's made with vegetable oil as the base with a little glycerine added to soften it slightly and make it easier to use in cold weather. The active parts of it are elder leaves which are a powerful wound cleaner and helps irritation, comfrey which kick starts the healing system and lavender which is an antiseptic and makes it smell gorgeous! I haven't tried it for myself yet but apparently it can be used on many different ailments including eczema, cuts, sores, boils, burns, grazed knees and the invisible problems that children can see.
You'll need:
2 blocks of solid vegetable oil (e.g.. Pura)
1 small bottle glycerine
Approx. half a carrier bag of freshly gathered leaves made up of 3 parts elder leaves (no woody bits) to 1 part comfrey leaves
2 handfuls of dried lavender flowers or lavender essential oil
Gently melt the blocks of vegetable oil in a large pan and add a small handful of the leaves. Slowly let the leaves infuse the oil which will gradually turn green over the course of making the ointment. When the leaves look like overcooked spinach, remove them and save in a muslin bag sitting in a bowl. Add another handful of leaves and repeat until all the leaves have been used and the oil is pale green.

Either add the lavender flowers and continue to heat the oil gently for a further five minutes or stir in enough lavender essential oil to pleasantly scent it and turn the heat off.

When the used leaves in the muslin are cool enough to handle, squeeze any remaining oil and juice from them into the main pan and stir to disperse.

As the oil cools, it will gradually start to change colour. Whilst it's still pourable add half to one bottle of glycerine and stir periodically as it cools as the glycerine tends to settle to the bottom of the pan. Carefully pour into small jars and allow to cool.

The one that Minamoo's mentioned is my own version of an old recipe :
Elder bud pickle - Collect enough elder buds to fill a small le parfait or kilner jar. Snip them off their stems down to small 'florets' and wash thoroughly. Put into a saucepan with 1 tp Mace, 1 tsp peppercorns, 1 tsp seasalt and the pared and shredded rind of a lemon try to avoid the bitter pith. Top up with the vinegar of your choice (which you will have already measured off into the jar you're using to have roughly the right amount), white wine or cider, or even malt vinegar if you like the taste (personally I find it's bit strong and raw for me).

Bring to a swift boil, and take immediately from the heat. Strain off the liquid and allow it and the buds to cool separately (doing this stops the liquid from overcooking the buds). Put the buds into your sterilized jar (don't use one with a metal lid - Le Parfait or Kilner with a rubber seal is best). Pour over the vinegar liquid - add or remove any of the spices as you prefer, and seal securely. Leave for a month or so to mature and develop the flavour.

This is a bit like pickled capers or nasturtium seeds, and would prob go equally well with fishy dishes, but I like it as salad pickle variant in a ploughmans. If the buds aren't overcooked, they should still have a crunchy texture. I don't tend make this in large amounts because I'm the only picklehead in our house. My version of the recipe has been tweaked with the addition of garlic and chilli - possibly not to everyones taste - but you can be bold and experiment!

Elder flower pickle - (haven't got round to trying this one yet - if you anyone does, could they report back please!?)
Gather enough flowerheads to fill a smallish jar (as above). Shake them lightly to remove unwanted guests, give them a light rinse, and snip down to smallish florets. Fill your jar. Boil some white wine or cider vinegar and pour over the flowers in the jar. Pop the lid on loosely and leave for an hour to cool, then strain off the vinegar and use the florets in a tossed salad. Keep the vinegar for another occasion

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE