Woodpigeon jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
There's a bit of a business idea there Mick... I bet that jerky is delicious and there is a massive growth in commercial jerky at the moment. More and more people are buying it in the supermarkets, and the range of types and flavours are seemingly increasing far more rapidly than any other food type.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
dewi: that's a fact. I don't pay much attention to the culinary efforts of my friends and neighbors.

One local guy let go last year that he's making bison jerky to sell at $50.00/lb on the internet.
Cheap Bison burger and the cure and seasoning that anybody can buy from Cabela's.

I make some for myself & family but that's it.

Mick91 ought to consider at least bartering.
How 'bout, I send you 500g bison jerky in trade????

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
There's a bit of a business idea there Mick... I bet that jerky is delicious and there is a massive growth in commercial jerky at the moment. More and more people are buying it in the supermarkets, and the range of types and flavours are seemingly increasing far more rapidly than any other food type.
Aye I daresay there would be. Not sure about the legality of selling wild quarry though and id have to register and all that jazz. Plus not eating it would be hard lol

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
dewi: that's a fact. I don't pay much attention to the culinary efforts of my friends and neighbors.

One local guy let go last year that he's making bison jerky to sell at $50.00/lb on the internet.
Cheap Bison burger and the cure and seasoning that anybody can buy from Cabela's.

I make some for myself & family but that's it.

Mick91 ought to consider at least bartering.
How 'bout, I send you 500g bison jerky in trade????
Oh I'm always open for barter :) not sure if it would get through customs though with all the legislation around raw meats etc

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Aye I daresay there would be. Not sure about the legality of selling wild quarry though and id have to register and all that jazz. Plus not eating it would be hard lol

Bizarrely it is not complicated at all. If you shoot the game yourself, prepare it yourself and sell it to the consumer, you are just required to register yourself as a food business with your local authority. There are a couple of EU regulations that apply as well, but nothing to stop you turning your game into jerky and selling it.... its more about food hygiene which is relatively simple. Obviously there is a labelling issue, but again, as long as you read and understand what is required and match it, shouldn't be too complicated.

The problem will arise if you do not shoot the game yourself and you're trading in carcasses with a third party. You're then subject to the FSAOG and you're going to need a vet. Sounds weird, but just to comply with tracing where the carcass has come from. Shouldn't apply to you at all though.

I'm doing a food hygiene certificate soon, only so I can do a favour for an old friend this coming summer, but I can let you know how it goes and whats involved if you're interested.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
Looks good Mick, I did spend a brief moment wondering how you measured 0.2 of a tbsp. I need to go back to persuading the missus we've got room for a dehydrator.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Looks good Mick, I did spend a brief moment wondering how you measured 0.2 of a tbsp. I need to go back to persuading the missus we've got room for a dehydrator.
Haha. Sorry should have been clearer the . was to indicate a new line its 2tbsp

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm just imagining Mick in his balaclava chopping put wood pigeon breasts with his machete.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
As long as you're not doing it near a path... at night... that is full of foreign students... shouldn't be a problem :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
As long as you're not doing it near a path... at night... that is full of foreign students... shouldn't be a problem :D
They must have been terrified bless them lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE