Hello everyone! :) Odd request below, but may tug at the heartstrings...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jessalbon

Jan 12, 2016
Coventry
Hi all,

New here and to BC in general.... have to confess, I'm on here for purely selfish reasons and don't really know much about BC.

My boyfriend, Dan, who has an account on here - he's called Georann I believe? - is really outdoorsy and has introduced me to rifle shooting and lots of other cool stuff since we've been together.

He loves making knives, and has made himself a knife from black ash burl wood - wood he got from a member on here! He absolutely loves this wood, and being an outdoorsy bloke, would obviously prefer wooden jewellery, if he was ever to wear any jewellery....

Can you see where this is going? :p

I'm on a mission to track down the person he got this wood from, as it's very specific and special to him. I'd ideally like a sample of this wood, to send on to a company who makes custom engagement rings - yeah, I'm that cute! :D

I'm planning on getting him a palladium (strong, durable, would withstand his outdoor activities and diving-related hobbies) ring with black ash burl inlay (his favourite wood, makes it look a bit more 'manly' and obviously will mean a lot to him).

I've found, like I said, a company who can make such a ring for me, in time for Valentine's day I hope - with it being a leap year, I'm going to take the plunge and be the woman proposing, but would like to celebrate the occasion more than once every four years, so am bringing the usual date forward to the 14th!

It's quite sweet that that date falls on a Sunday too, as this is when we shoot with his university rifle club - I've got a lot of ideas for using targets to write out the 'Marry me?' bit, hanging the ring off the scope on his rifle, etc etc. Am planning to get his uni buddies involved in my plans, but obviously need the ring sorted first!

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone has dealt with georann on here before, or maybe saw the thread where he asked for black ash burl wood for a knife handle, please contact me! I'd love to talk to the person who supplied the wood to him on the off chance they still have some of the same lying around that they could send to me.

Thanks in advance, bushcrafters!

Jess xxx

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Well done that woman ! :)

good luck in your quest.

just a thought.......how are you going to keep him from seeing this thread ? ( maybe Tony should delete it and communicate with you by PM only ? )

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The only mention I can find is this thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110644&highlight=black+burl and that doesn't give you who provided the stabilised black ash burl, but you can get it from a few places, it's used for knife scales but also pen blanks etc

http://pencrafts.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=745

There's a lump further down on this page http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/wkhb.html

You might also get someone on here that has some spare.

Are you not worried that he's going to see this thread and know of your plans?

Keithlard

Feb 15, 2012
Cornwall
It's quite sweet that that date falls on a Sunday too, as this is when we shoot with his university rifle club - I've got a lot of ideas for using targets to write out the 'Marry me?' bit, hanging the ring off the scope on his rifle, etc etc. Am planning to get his uni buddies involved in my plans, but obviously need the ring sorted first!

It's a lovely idea, and I'd hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but if I were planning an elaborate public proposal, I think I'd want to make awfully sure that I knew the answer first. Bit awkward if it's not what you were expecting.

jessalbon

Jan 12, 2016
Coventry
Well done that woman ! :)

good luck in your quest.

just a thought.......how are you going to keep him from seeing this thread ? ( maybe Tony should delete it and communicate with you by PM only ? )

He's not been on here in quite a while, I'm hoping uni and work will keep him busy enough that he doesn't feel the need to do anything 'bushcrafty' for a little while! Pure hope, basically haha!

jessalbon

Jan 12, 2016
Coventry
Pretty sure of the answer, we've been talking about getting engaged/wedding venues/similar for a few months, and he's the one who mooted the idea of me proposing due to it being a leap year! We're also both of similar mind when it comes to elaborate anniversaries - this way Valentines/celebrating getting engaged can be done in one fell swoop haha. I'm hoping I know his answer, but obviously in the next few weeks I'll be trying to broach the subject to get an idea of if his feelings are the same!

jessalbon

Jan 12, 2016
Coventry
Hi guys, thanks for your replies so far: just a general point, regarding him seeing this - fairly certain he knows I'm not into bushcrafting, therefore in his mind I'm unlikely to ever set up an account here - so that bit of secrecy will hopefully be successful! Also with his Masters degree uni work and various commitments, I can't say he's mentioned/been on this site in a while, and for the next few weeks I'm hoping it'll stay that way.

As for his answer: hoping I know him well enough and can rely on our discussions about the topic to know he'll say yes! That's why I'm focusing more on the ring, and making that special, rather than elaborate plans for the proposal for now. Pretty much can guarantee I'll be able to make him shed some manly tears just by asking and presenting him with a ring that has lots of meaning, and shows I listen to him and his interests (the wood, for example!).

Thanks to Tony for some links, still hunting.

I've found out since I posted this that he got knives made by a guy called Mark Hill? I think that may be the person who supplied the wood for him to then make his own knife...

Does the name ring any bells?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If you cant track the original fella down "english hand made knives" might be able to sort you out

its got to be said.....awsome girlfriend!.....not only taking enough of an interest in his knives to know what wood its made from, but going to the effort of getting such a personal and well thought out ring made.....awsome

Hope you find what you are looking for

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
It's a lovely idea, and I'd hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but if I were planning an elaborate public proposal, I think I'd want to make awfully sure that I knew the answer first. Bit awkward if it's not what you were expecting.

Duuude!......don't spoil the atmos :lmao:

jessalbon

Jan 12, 2016
Coventry
If you cant track the original fella down "english hand made knives" might be able to sort you out

its got to be said.....awsome girlfriend!.....not only taking enough of an interest in his knives to know what wood its made from, but going to the effort of getting such a personal and well thought out ring made.....awsome

Hope you find what you are looking for

Thank you!

Awww that means a lot... I have to say I chickened out of asking his parents over Christmas - not traditional, but I'd have liked if he'd asked my parents if he wanted to propose first! - so I'm hoping to talk to them and get their blessing before going ahead.

I take an interest in all his hobbies, I think it's a vital part of a relationship in my opinion! I don't know much about his knives, managed to shut my fingers in an ammo tin instead of opening it correctly, can barely hold his rifle because it's so heavy, am trying to get my head around the ranking of Scouts and Beavers, etc, and nearly burst an ear drum when he took me on a try-dive - but I'll try any of his hobbies at least once and always listen to what he's passionate about!

I'm so happy you think it's a good idea :D I wanted it to be exactly that, personal and completely 'him', y'know?

Thanks!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That first link i put up is the one were he talks about Mark, you can get a link to his profile and PM him from there to ask about the wood.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
I think is great and shows a firm foundation for your future :You_Rock_

Me and my wife take no interest in each other's hobbies beyond tolerance and occasional support (me standing and egging her on). She runs marathons (I've got knackered knees and walking hurts) and I bushcraft (she "doesn't do dirt") and motorcycle (she does go pillion occasionally)

So how the hell we've managed almost 12 years (8 in wedlock) I don't know

Fingers crossed for a "yes" result!

John

jessalbon

Jan 12, 2016
Coventry
Update: Mark has a piece of wood from the exact block he sent Dan in 2013! I may well be able to get a ring made not only out of his favourite wood, but out of the exact wood he used to make his first knife, that ignited his love of the outdoors!

So excited! Will keep you guys updated - next stop, contacting the ring makers and hoping the wood Mark has is a suitable size!

Wish me luck x

jessalbon

Jan 12, 2016
Coventry
Hahaha!

I do have a sister, I'd like to think she's as cute and soppy as me, and would go to this length for her partner of choice - but at the moment she's a moody 15 year old, who has no interest in boys unless they can help her revise for her GCSEs!

Thank you for the good wishes!

This is really lovely- do you have sister who thinks the same as you? PS I wish the best of luck for the future he is a lucky chap!

jessalbon

Jan 12, 2016
Coventry
Update #2: deposit paid for the ring! Design has all been finalised, just waiting to receive the wood graciously donated by Mark Hill, to then get that inlaid in the palldium ring!

Went to three more jewellers today to get sized (he's still a size P :D) and to have a look at some more rings.

Still feel like I'm bang on the money with my idea! Now it's just waiting for the ring to be made and then implementing the idea on the day... exciting!

Any ideas for how to actually pop the question would be great... I have a few and have been involving some close friends, but if anyone comes up with a really fun idea I may well use it!

Jess x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE