Woodpigeon jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thought I would share my basic recipe for woodie jerky as I've put a batch on today. I'm no cook so bare with me! But it does taste very nice and keeps a good long while. Recipe also works with venison and beef, and probably others too.

8 Woodpigeon breasts sliced to 1/4 - 1/2" thickness

.Half a bottle of dark soy sauce

.2 tbsp of tomato puree

.2tbsp of honey (I use Heather honey)

.1 tbsp of chopped garlic

.2 tbsp of lemon or lime juice

.2 tbsp of smoked paprika

.1tsp of cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot)

.1tsp of dried mixed herbs

. a grind of white and black pepper to taste

.a grating of ginger

.a dash of muscavado sugar

Marinate it together overnight in the fridge and bung it in a food dehydrator for at least 6 hours and it should keep for a few months at room temperature or much longer in the fridge. But to be honest I'm yet to have it last more than a week!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Looks good, thank you. Can I leave out all the sugar without wrecking it? Keene's mustard instead of cayenne?

I would imagine so. I just like the sweet smoky taste you get with it. As for missing the cayenne im not familiar with keenes mustard, but I have made it with English mustard before and it tasted good. Its easy to overdo the sugar so I tend to only use a tiny bit to cut through the heat. Id say just a drop of the honey if you're not a fan of sweet jerky, or may be good replaced with maple syrup

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. Maybe you see it as Coleman's mustard powder. Keene's is the brand, here.
I shouldn't eat sugar but I cheat from time to time. Hell of a thing.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thanks. Maybe you see it as Coleman's mustard powder. Keene's is the brand, here.
I shouldn't eat sugar but I cheat from time to time. Hell of a thing.

Ah yeah then that'll work just fine! Aye its hard to cut out the sugar. I imagine it'll be nice without the sugars though, I might give it a go to be honest

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When I make jerky, it has been cure and seasoning from Hi Mountain (Cabela's) into bison burger ( = mince)
then squirted out of a jerky pistol onto a mesh rack. Into the electric oven @250F with the door cracked open an inch.

I break it up and bag it and into the freezer. What I see happening is that it freeze-dries. I get heaps of ice crystals,
presumably from the meat. That really dries it out.

Your recipe looks far more appetizing for solid meats.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
When I make jerky, it has been cure and seasoning from Hi Mountain (Cabela's) into bison burger ( = mince)
then squirted out of a jerky pistol onto a mesh rack. Into the electric oven @250F with the door cracked open an inch.

I break it up and bag it and into the freezer. What I see happening is that it freeze-dries. I get heaps of ice crystals,
presumably from the meat. That really dries it out.

Never thought about mincing it actually. I do have a mincer so no reason not to try it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
mick, the jerky pistol takes all the work out of it. Holds about 500g/1lb meat mix.
Flat nozzle lays a strip about 3/4" wide. Fool that I am, I measured one time.
I get approx 17' of that stuff on the mesh trays per pound. Easy chew.

In fact, I might just make up your brew with less soy sauce and thaw some bison burger today.
I'll get the meat out then go out to shovel the 6" we got yesterday/last night.

Snow2014B_zps7806e434.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I could use a nibble and a good ale right now.
I'm trying to decide what makes it look so good.
Must be a combo of the color and the drier rack marks.
What temp did you run your drier at??

Dang snow was wet and heavy, stuck to everything.
Don't need 4x4 yet but I'm pooped.

Trip to the store later for some things then make up your marinade.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Drier has run at 63ish for about 6 hours :) tastes pretty darn good and I'm with you on the ale lol

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE