Making coffee and enamel percolators

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Maybe a bit too luxurious to be real bushcraft, but I rather fancy an enamel percolator to use on the fire. Has anyone got any suggestions for makes and suppliers.

In a more general sense, any thoughts about making coffee in camp. I do like my coffee, and I have in the past just boiled some ground coffee in a pot and strained it, use a stainless steel filter to hold the coffee grounds, carrieid a plastic french press and more recently used an aeropress (this is a great device and for anyone not familiar with them have a look at http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm0 It quickly and cleanly produceS a high quality espresso whcih can be diluted to make a fine cup of coffee.

But it just doesn't seem the same as an enamel coffee pot when sat by a fire.

So, any one any thoughts on making coffee, and a possible suplplier, so far I have only found American sources for the Coleman or GSI versions, and these are the only makes I have found.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks Spamel,

I confess, and its something I'm not usually guilty of, I didn't search the forums before posting. I was a bit frustrated after an hour of searching for a UK supplier of an enamel percolator.

Lots of useful stuff in that thread.

Grahma

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do have an enormous perculator - Coleman make them and one of the nice US guys posted it over for me. I also strongly suggest the "Swan" brand steel perculators. You can pick them up for a song (same type as illustrated in the "Camp Coffee" thread). They come in a variety of sizes and, although they have some form of "Bakelite" handle they stand up really well to fire use.

For lightweight work invest in a "Swissgold" filter. No papers required and makes a cracking cup of coffee - weighs less than an ounce too

Red

Edit to say - here's the thread Spam mentioned

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16039

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks British Red,

Thanks for the link, I had managed to find it with the search and the Swissgold filter is now on my shopping list.

The percolator, however, has got to be blue enamel (marital harmony issues) so it looks as if its yet another purchase from the US.

Graham

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
You could always go for this from Ronni Sunshines website. The tyou can have a full set of blue enamle cooking equipment to keep the wifey happy and colour co-ordinated :D

A bit scary, all that blue :)

I think she will need to make do with the coffee pot.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE