Making an Ammo Box Stove - step by step tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share this with you.

I've just finished making this stove from a '50 Cal' ammo can. I made it as a source of heating for inside my canvas bell tent, it should be ideal for winter camping when temperatures drop below zero. Also, I just thought it would be a fun thing to make!

People have made such stoves in many different ways. They are mostly used in colder climates like Canada and Scandinavia. The step by step I have written shows my own design, bear in mind that this is the first stove I have ever made, I am not an expert where stove use and design is concerned so the design may not necessarily be the best. Before I get bombarded with safety warnings, that is covered in the article too...

My full step by step article on how I made this can be seen on my website here:
http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/ammo-can-stove.htm

IMG_7118_small.jpg

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
"Beating the metal hardens it. To prevent the metal from splitting it needs to be softened again by heating it up until cherry red. Once cooled the metal can be worked again (this softening process is called annealing). I removed it from the wooden form each time I did this."

I agree with your version of Annealing but on another site they brought the metal to cherry red then tipped it into water. does this not harden it ?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
"Beating the metal hardens it. To prevent the metal from splitting it needs to be softened again by heating it up until cherry red. Once cooled the metal can be worked again (this softening process is called annealing). I removed it from the wooden form each time I did this."

I agree with your version of Annealing but on another site they brought the metal to cherry red then tipped it into water. does this not harden it ?
dipping it in water afterwards probably would re-harden the metal to some degree but I expect as this is not hi carbon metal, it wouldn't go super hard... but then again i'm not an expert. Maybe best to leave it to cool down slowly if you have the patience.

Last edited:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I presume they are aluminium pop rivets. Hopefully they'll last... no problems so far.

Im pleased you all like the article, it took tome time to put together. Great to hear some of you will have a go at this too. Only thing to consider is that the cost can add up with the flue pipes, ammo box, rivets, sheet metal, fire rope etc...
That's a really good tutorial Jon goodjob

Were you using steel or ali pop rivets?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice tutorial, there was a few of us discussing these at the weekend I wont be surprised if there are a few more made soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE