Making a knife

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You can make one with files, hacksaw and a drill. But you have already made it 10x more difficult by wanting ot do it in stainless. You can not heat treat stainless at home without a proper programmable, digitally controlled kiln capable of reaching and holding temps in excess of 1000oC You also need a drill that can be run on a slow setting as you don't drill stainless at high speed. :)

You will need someone to do the heat treatment for you, and working it with files and hacksaw will be very labour intensive due to the higher wear resistance of stainless.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whats the best speeds for stainess Mark? My bench drill runs down to 180rpm - I know thats slower than many....is it slow enough?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It doesn't need to be that slow mate. There are variables, involved. Type of stainless and dia of the drill bit etc

As a general rule, aim for about 500 to 600rpm. You need sharp bits, and a a fair bit of pressure, the trick is to get it cutting and keep it cutting, dont let the pressure off while drilling as it will rub and blunt the bit,You can do it with HSS but i normally use cobalt for non hardened stainless, i now use carbide for anything harder. :)

Theres an info and conversion chart here mate.
http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/MTL8202/MLT8202.htm

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good to know = I needed to be able to get down to 200 for a specific reloading task, so dropped a bit of cash on the drill - useful to know its okay for more tasks

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have a pillar drill that will run that slow and loads of cobalt drills so that is ok that way I suppose. Stainless is a must as I am around water to much to have carbon steel.

Red what are you using your pillar drill for reloading at that speed, I was planning to get an RTO head for finishing 12g hulls? hopefully not that as mines doesnt go that slow!!

I suppose it might be worth making a couple and keeping the best if i need to get it sent away somewhere!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I can do heat treat for you if you need it, grind the bevels etc. Do what you can, and if you ned help with something, give me a shout mate. :)

Could also make the blade to your design if it seems too much.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You'll need a press for crimping - think its much the same for all rto - I am just starting out on shotgun loads though so I'm still learning

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE