Not quite a Seax.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Ok, I’ve been toying with the idea of converting my Terava Skrama knife into an Anglo Saxon seax(43cm currently).
It’s got the design & weight there already, just a bit of cutting/fettling needed.
Replacing the handle with antler or burl wood & cutting the end to more of a drop.but keeping the cutting edge as it’s just perfect as is.
The question is.. do I add a metal pommel or do I make a flared end out of antler/burl wood or just round it off?

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I wouldn't destroy a totally fine tool in order to make a weird pseudo historical thing from it.

If you want a reproduction of a historical sword, so get a close one!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
To be honest, I even don't care if one tries to convert an original old sword into a screwdriver.

:cigar:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
if you want an accurate look, then go wood. Extremely few seaxes exist with metal pommels (I can think of only one off the top of my head), very few have much in the handle other than a single bit of wood really. Of course it's all personal preference with a modern creation, so go with what you like.

For choppy type seaxes I like a flared back end. I often make them so the handle looks a bit like a fish with the head cut off and a blade stuck in it's place. It gives a nice swell in the centre to prevent the hand slipping when held at the back (as well as the flare at the butt), but also feels comfortable for close up cutting when held on the blade side of the hump.

Of course if you want to make yourself a nice historical version (or not), I make blades for people to handle up too ;) Even pattern welded seaxes :D

Reactions: henchy3rd and gg012

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE