Making a dead hedge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Made my dead hedge today. Started off by sharpening some willow stakes (which I hope might root) and putting in a double row, about 60cm apart:

null_zps2a22991e.jpg

I then wove long bits in between the uprights up to about 4' high:

null_zps79bf214b.jpg

The space in between was then filled with brash and some of the bits were woven back in to tidy things up a bit (although it's never going to be very neat!)

null_zps5d56fef4.jpg

Should be high enough to stop the dogs getting over anyway. Photos don't really do it justice, looks like an untidy pile of twigs but it's actually pretty solid. Should be good for wildlife and although it took quite a lot of labour to make, the materials were free. Once the infill dries out a bit it should get less springy and I can jump on it and put more on top. I suppose eventually it will turn into a compost heap and I can grow stuff along the top :D

Reactions: Redhand Jack

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Very nice Spandit, if the willow was green and freshly pointed, and you have plenty of moisture in the ground, it will succeed and in a couple of years you will be trimming it!

Not all will take, but love your forward thinking, back up plan.

Ivan...

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
...and you have plenty of moisture in the ground...

Bit dry here, think we'll have a hosepipe ban before too long :rolleyes:

It's built in a spot where it doesn't matter if the stakes grow huge but the more trees the better, I reckon. Wondering if it's pig proof...

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looking good mate ^^, always loved these types of fence.
And always keep wondering why so little people actually use them, superb job
Yours sincerely Ruud

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Plenty of brambles to pile on top, John.

The reason more people don't use them is that they take a long time to make - this one took several hours. To put up stock fencing would have taken far shorter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're sure you want willows growing there ? :)
If the live branches touch the ground, they'll root.

Tidy, and useful, way to clear up the brash though :D

cheers,
Toddy

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It's a corner of our land (not 100% clear who owns it - sort of no man's land) but a long way from any buildings/drains. There are some mature trees there which will probably restrict any potential growth

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
They are solid I've knocked one up in my garden to retain a bank . And back filled it with compost for planting. It's still solid even with the dogs having the odd chew . Mine isn't as well dressed as your one . Or out of willow but it does the job .
y5ytuzun.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Those are lovely. It makes me think I should've made a wattle fence out of hazel to keep the dog out of the neighbour's garden whilst the old fence, having been destroyed by strong winds, was down. Too late now though, as it's been repaired.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Not a very flexible species but some of the 400-odd osier I planted are sprouting too and they'll be great for structural stuff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I remember cutting up some sprouting willow. It had been sectioned for 6 months and stored dry - it was STILL trying to grow :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you wrap some honeysuckle around your stobs, as they grow then the honeysuckle causes a kind of spiral effect....makes great walking sticks :D

Most fresh growth can be bent/shaped. It's an art form in it's own right :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE