Making a dead hedge

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Round stake, often of fresh cut timber....like thon hazel and willow that's setting down roots :) I think it originally is the root of stump :dunno:
I find honeysuckle easy to root, but we're very damp here. The other thing that grows well, and I can't seem to kill even when it's coming through a beech hedge :sigh: is holly.

cheers,
M

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I remember cutting up some sprouting willow. It had been sectioned for 6 months and stored dry - it was STILL trying to grow :)

Whilst checking today on the ones I coppiced earlier this year, I noticed this small rod, about 8" long:

null_zps63611196.jpg

I also had some longer poles that have been lying outside on a concrete slab and they've sprouted too. Crazy stuff!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'd expect the stuff at the bottom to grow (now!) but the rest will rot/compact down. Plenty more brash to replace it though :)

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
How about planting a few climbers like peas and beans on side or in a pot nearby? They would love your fence and you'd have a snack eventually.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I also had some longer poles that have been lying outside on a concrete slab and they've sprouted too. Crazy stuff!

Willow makes me laugh now - just break a stick off, thrust it into the ground, you get a tree. Why anyone pays to buy willow trees, I do not know!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That's why I wouldn't buy it for my tree planting. Would like some coloured varieties, though, which I may have to buy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For sure with the weird stuff. You can get rare stuff cheaply though if you look around. My True service trees came from Europe for a few quid. Small - but they will grow

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can root hazel cuttings - but they aren't as easy as willow (very few things are to be honest)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've been hammering willow stakes in where there are gaps under the fence - they're all sprouting too. I've also laid a sprouting log next to the fence in one place so should get some more trees from that too!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tried planting some willow cuttings in my woods to make a wind/view break.
The willow was from trees in the area.
Not one single one took!
Green fingers? - I think not!

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
So this weekend I'm finishing off the bottom of the garden. Going to leave the very bottom as a natural area for wildlife it's only a small patch and for composting of the garden bits. If I just leave it like this it will look an eyesore (so the shorty tells me) so I was thinking of making a fedge along the lines of a willow hurdle. I can get some willow hedging stakes and I've got an unknown (to me climber) taking over the side of the house which is coming down that produces loads of growth and quite flexible stems (used them to make a wreath a chrimbo). So for you green wood/fedge experts in our community how does this sound. I was going to put the stakes at around 10 inches so it's a bit of a cross between a willow hurdle and a midland hedge sort of style. Any top tips?
PS I'm not bothered about the willow growing as the climber will supply the greenery I just prefer the idea of willow stakes instead of B and Q ugly manufactured things.
Cheers Rich

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That's more or less what I did. If the willow stakes are old & dry then they won't grow... probably :) and they'll probably rot quite quickly but hopefully by then your other greenery will have covered it. Pictures please!

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Yours is what made me start thinking about it Spandit, loved the idea and great construction too, was going to single stake mine and not have the fill in the middle, suppose like a wattle. How's yours settled in now that spring's here? I'll take some photo's in the pouring rain forecast this weekend. Before, during and hopefully finished and post them up.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm sure if you find anyone with a willow they would let you grab a few stakes. We put 8 willow stakes in a few weeks ago as an experiment. They have 2" of growth on already :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Mine is doing fine. I'll post a picture later if you like. I use it as a convenient place to dump brash that won't compost so easily, like brambles & holly. It's been dog proof so far anyway, which was the intended purpose

If you cut some willow and put it in a bucket with some water, along with the cuttings from other shrubs, the rooting hormone from the willow can stimulate new growth in the others. My father uses this on some Kent Cob and it had a very high success rate. Just thought I'd through that little pearl in there!

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE