Machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Been looking to buy a machete for battoning logs & making kindling,
It’ll also be used for debarking, removal of twigs/small branches & shaving/removal of wood for tools..Kind of a one tool fits most jobs affair.
Prefer if its straight spined/edged so it can fit neatly into my bow saw pouch, so I can slip it down the inside of my bag as it’s for uk use only, so no Rambo/ he-man looking over the top stuff.
Has a smooth finished handle & maybe a thicker width blade.
Nothing extravagant or pricey, just a good robust tool that’s fit for purpose & will last.
I know there’s axes, Sickles scythes & draw blades,I’ve used them all for the correct job at hand.
I just fancy having a change to try out something new & different to experiment with.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A Skrama? Not really a machete but it'll take some abuse.

Reactions: Herman30

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
My mate has a cheaper Brazilian machete, it's awesome for brush cutting, taking off small limbs etc, even making pegs but I wouldn't use it for splitting as the blade is quite flexible and thin.

I have a billhook which is a great tool for processing branches, taking off small limbs and making pegs, but it's a hooked type which isn't so good at splitting wood but the thickness is much better for it. I believe you can get straight edged billhooks without the curve, even kindling choppers which are similar but with a square back. These would probably be ideal for kindling work, although I much prefer my husqy hatchet for kindling work.

Reactions: TeeDee

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Yup...bilhook sounds like the tool for you.

I have a straight one that I use for all the above as well as a couple of hooked ones bit for me the straight one is more versatile. Can't remember what pattern it's called tho'

Sent from Somerset using magic

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Been looking to buy a machete for battoning logs & making kindling,
It’ll also be used for debarking, removal of twigs/small branches & shaving/removal of wood for tools..Kind of a one tool fits most jobs affair.
Prefer if its straight spined/edged so it can fit neatly into my bow saw pouch, so I can slip it down the inside of my bag as it’s for uk use only, so no Rambo/ he-man looking over the top stuff.
Has a smooth finished handle & maybe a thicker width blade.
Nothing extravagant or pricey, just a good robust tool that’s fit for purpose & will last.
I know there’s axes, Sickles scythes & draw blades,I’ve used them all for the correct job at hand.
I just fancy having a change to try out something new & different to experiment with.

I'll be honest with you henchy3rd, I've never really got on with billhooks working in the wood; they've never felt quite balanced to me. Truth is of course I've only tried a few designs and there may be one out there that suits me and the way I work.

I'm cutting, snedding, trimming, battoning etc. most weeks and I've ended up using a heavy knife for most of the work; one blade to do it all without having to stop and change between tasks. The one I'm using is a bit lighter than ideal and I have cut out a new blade ready for grinding and heat treatment that I believe will be a better tool. The work on it has paused over the festive period; I must get back to it.

A true machete is too long and not stiff enough for working in British hardwoods in my opinion. I've used one on bamboo and tall stiff canes or grasses where they're ideal, but they just don't work well on hard woods and mixed vegetation in my experience. Again, I've only used the long, thin, blade types.

If you do find something you feel works, I'd be keen to see it.

Reactions: santaman2000

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can only Echo the above. Especially when it comes to limbing something sprucy or piney. Granted I have only tried a few machete designs but they all lacked enough weight to compensate for the feedback from the material.
They also have a tendency to deflect given their thin profile and blade shape. Juicy green shrubby stuff yeah. Whippy limby hard wood saplings not so much, dry pine limbs and the reverb is a killer! Oh and brambles you basically make a bramble whip and run it across your leg :)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
A Skrama? Not really a machete but it'll take some abuse.
That’s the kind of design I’ve been looking for & on read up it could just fit the bill.
Just got to find a used one or a better deal than that price.
Thanks.

i live in a country where machetes are sold everywhere and are used by almost everyone -- i've a few myself, incl.a 13" modified one i take to the beach ( for coconuts) without anyone raising an eyebrow. Danny Trejo demonstrates how to use them in two movies :p :p

HOWEVER they're not my favourite device (imho they're a collection of poor compromises) and i wouldn't suggest them for battoning as they're too thin (=slicers, not spitters). a parang or similar tool from southeast Asia would imho work better for that (and many other tasks)...

edit: seems some other posts appeared while i was still typing...
another tool which might work for you is the japanese nata (only used traditional ones, haven't tried the more modern "silky" versions but they didn't feel right when i handled one...)

Last edited:

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Brock/Dwardo, I did think a machete sounded to thin & long for what I needed & I’m glad you pointed that out.
I used a bill hook when I lived at a commune, it was a turn of the century one & found it very uncomfortable.. maybe a more modern steel one will fair better, who knows?

I’ve a Condor axe & knife which have given good service for six years use..although I did have to tidy them up when new as the finish wasn’t up to scratch, but i quite enjoyed it.
Never had a complain with the steel either..can’t grumble at their prices.
So it looks like a heavy duty bush knife could be the ticket.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
That’s the kind of design I’ve been looking for & on read up it could just fit the bill.
Thanks.

Another older design which inspired the Skrama is the Hukari
Not sure what the P&P would be, but initially cheaper.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I think what you’re looking for is something more like a parang/golok than a machete, generally they’re much stiffer and used for tougher and finer tasks. They’re also much prettier if you get a proper one too.

(Edited due to autocorrect)

Reactions: Kron
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Second the above - a Martindale Golok would sort you out. very thick solid blade, and about as accomplished at battening as any machette style blade could be. Lots of cheap (and slightly shorter) imitations made by the likes of Kombat, but a genuine Martindale is really the one that you want. Google brings up this https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/pro...MIyvyx5pSq9QIVD5ntCh0wkABzEAQYASABEgKPsfD_BwE for only £17.50 - the picture is of a genuine martindale (with the crocodile logo), so if the image is accurate, its the real thing, and much cheaper than elsewhere.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's still too long for working in British hardwoods in my opinion; I have tried one and it was too unwieldly for snedding in twisted hazel coppice.

But, each to their own :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
On sale..

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Thanks.
You dont´t need the leather sheath. Buy it with plastic blade cover and shove it inside a british surplus SA80 bayonette frog.

skrama-bush-knife-british-plce-bayonet-frog-vorne.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: eraaij and TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE