Under £30 machete for British woodland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Here are some pictures of my machetes and billhooks, so you can see a variety to consider.

I've got a box of machetes in my closet too.. lol unphototgraphed though

Grotzilla

Nomad
May 5, 2014
United Kingdom
Samon, you got anything similar to the tramontina's price? It is ridiculously cheap lol so I can use the spare cash elsewhere (I desperately need new car tyres lol)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haha, I see Samon is arming for the predicted zombie badger invasion of 2017. :D
Sorry to be a latecomer to the thread but I'm with the others on the billhook front. Mine were constant companions in my forestry days and never far away in my bushcrafting ones one. A lot easier and safer than a machette IMO and as said earlier very suited to our woodlands as they've evolved here over the centuries. Plus you'll get a new or secondhand one for under £30 no problem. Sometimes wonder if the bushcrafting fetish for G.B. axes is slightly fueled by fashion from a certain celebrity bushcrafting? I use axes a lot but will generally go for my billhook first.
Good luck with whatever you go for and watch your legs if its a machette.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
My Gerber Bolo works absolutely fine for me and as you've seen first hand it worked nicely for chopping and splitting. Think they're around the £30 Mark now

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Haha, I see Samon is arming for the predicted zombie badger invasion of 2017. :D

In fairness if there ever is a zombie outbreak, Samon's place is where you want to be.

What's all this about zombie badgers though? Something you want to tell us GB?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Considering all the discussions about zombie-weapons and changes in laws etc... would it not be wiser to grab an axe? Looks far less threatening when those dog walkers are passing.

444de87b9df3662c429eabcdb6388fec.jpg

Who could consider that little pencil sharpener threatening? Madness I tell you! Especially in the hands of someone who looks so approachable and friendly dressed head to toe in realtree wearing a balaclava

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
In fairness if there ever is a zombie outbreak, Samon's place is where you want to be.

What's all this about zombie badgers though? Something you want to tell us GB?

Dude, you need to watch the news. Not the stuff on tv, newspapers or 'legible' sources. The real news.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Dude, you need to watch the news. Not the stuff on tv, newspapers or 'legible' sources. The real news.

And where is this real news? I'm missing out here!

Btw, you never did tell us what you made out of the leather I sent you... anything good?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
And where is this real news? I'm missing out here!

Btw, you never did tell us what you made out of the leather I sent you... anything good?

Obviously you need a foil hat first.. then tune your ears in just right. The rest is hush hush but if you drink heavily enough, seclude yourself from the outside world and wait, you will be in the know.

(I wasn't sure if the leather had been sent yet.. as it hasn't arrived. :/ I will check a nearby address that sometimes gets their mail sent to me if they haev any of my goods! )

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
(I wasn't sure if the leather had been sent yet.. as it hasn't arrived. :/ I will check a nearby address that sometimes gets their mail sent to me if they haev any of my goods! )

Thats not good... was sent about 3 weeks ago... should have arrived a couple of weeks ago.

Parcel is about 6" x 6" x 2"... I folded up a couple of decent sized bits for you.... if it hasn't arrived at your nearby, let me know... I have some more I can send... just have to bite the bullet and do the recorded.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Not knocking Tramotina. Got a bunch of 'em but I have a bunch of Marbles too and they are good quality for the money. Not sure how much you would use them for bushcraft in the UK. I use them at my summer worksite for clearing trails and such.

My worksite:

attachment.php

Here's a review of a Marbles. Like the Tramotina, I like 'em for soft vegetation.
Marbles machete review

Unlke some folks, I'm a big fan of the Martindale Golok. A bit useless as they come but after some major reprofiling work on the edge, they are a lot of blade in a compact and fairly light package.

Ontario machetes are a little more heavy duty than your standard Tramotina, assuming you want something for heavier vegetation. For woodcraft I prefer an axe or stout knife/baton combo. Never used a billhook but they look more buschrafty for hardwoods than most machetes. Condor makes some pretty heavy duty parang/machetes. I have several but prefer a small axe to those brutes. Imcasa and Bellotto are a couple other good machete makers.

Attachments

• researchplot1b.jpg
    researchplot1b.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 77

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE