Machete seized by UK customs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 14, 2021
UK
Hi guys,

I bought a machete from a .co.uk site which I didn't realise was actually based in Spain so ended up getting sent from there. As far as I'm aware, it shouldn't be illegal (blade length is under 45cm) so not entirely sure why it was stopped. I'm not really bothered about actually getting the knife to be honest, but from googling it looks like this could end up getting me a caution?

Any ideas or similar experiences?

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
So this thread got held up a little in the modding queue and we had a chat with TescoBag, asking for a little more information.

Hi Chris,

I bought this: https://www.knives-shop.co.uk/machetes/5597-machete-cortacanas-espartano-hoja-45-cms.html

At the time there was no indication they did not ship items to the UK which they've now put all over their site since this occurred. They list all their prices in GBP etc. If I had checked the site a lot more there may have been signs that it wasn't based in the UK but it's not obvious at all.

I've not had a letter from customs yet, I've had notification from Fedex that the package has been seized by customs and listed as "Undeliverable."

If you need any further information, please let me know.

Ah, just as a further indication I paid about £50 total for it.

Also as just one more indication, they've now changed all their prices over to euros and it was in GBP before.
This is the item involved.
1621086617002.png

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have suggested that TescoBag sign up to Edgematters where there are more discussions of this sort of thing, sharp stuff getting seized or not delivered.

With the additional info two things came to my mind.

One was that Fedex have internal anti-weapon rules that appear to vary by country and whether they are accepting or delivering. That was what I got from conversations with them some years ago. Maybe they are now more universally anti-knife? Some posts on Edge Matters do seem to suggest that Fedex cause problems with knife delivery rather more than some others.

The other was that the item ordered could be interpreted as being a "zombie slayer" style knife, even without the lurid paint job.

Back before the most recent legislation changes, people would often get locking folding knives seized by Customs at the infamous Mount Pleasant (aka Mt. Doom facility). The knives would be classified as flick or gravity knives. As far as I know, no one ever had a legal problem, just the loss of their property.

Chris

Reactions: Toddy

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Hello Tescobag, welcome to the forum. On the information we have the item seems to have fallen foul of FedEx rather than customs as it doesn’t appear to fit into any of the prohibited categories.
You could always contact the seller or FedEx and ask for an explanation or just put it down to experience and see if you get any follow up from law enforcement.

If you do get contacted by law enforcement consider legal advice, in my experience genuine people who made a genuine error will not receive a penalty (maybe except the loss of the item)

May 14, 2021
UK
Hello Tescobag, welcome to the forum. On the information we have the item seems to have fallen foul of FedEx rather than customs as it doesn’t appear to fit into any of the prohibited categories.
You could always contact the seller or FedEx and ask for an explanation or just put it down to experience and see if you get any follow up from law enforcement.

If you do get contacted by law enforcement consider legal advice, in my experience genuine people who made a genuine error will not receive a penalty (maybe except the loss of the item)

Hi Wildgoose, thanks very much.

It's been confirmed that customs have seized it by the seller and Fedex it seems.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
FedEx are a private company so it’s up to them if they choose not to carry your goods. UK customs have, in the past, seized many knives that were in fact legal to own and often available in the UK but at a much higher price hence buying from the US or wherever. Even a UKPK, named for the fact it was built by Spyderco specifically to be within the law was once seized. I lost a Spyderco Poliwog and a Benchmade. Nobody got their knives but nobody got cautioned or investigated by the police.

I’m afraid your knife isn’t really anyone’s definition of a machete, and does fit the zombie knife type criteria at least in looks. The blade cutouts, hand guard and blade shape make it look like a weapon and not a tool. What was your intended use for the thing?

May 14, 2021
UK
FedEx are a private company so it’s up to them if they choose not to carry your goods. UK customs have, in the past, seized many knives that were in fact legal to own and often available in the UK but at a much higher price hence buying from the US or wherever. Even a UKPK, named for the fact it was built by Spyderco specifically to be within the law was once seized.

I’m afraid your knife isn’t really anyone’s definition of a machete, and does fit the zombie knife type criteria at least in looks. The blade cutouts, hand guard and blade shape make it look like a weapon and not a tool. What was your intended use for the thing?
I have bushes in the back garden that need thinning out, and some of the branches are quite thick so I thought something with a saw on the back of it would be useful for that. Apart from that it's a nice looking tool.

It's literally the first time I've tried to buy an edged item before. I wish I'd done more research before I'd ordered it.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I assume they have since changed the description to
¡¡¡ We do not ship this item to United Kingdom !!!
If they have at least they are learning.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
FedEx are a private company so it’s up to them if they choose not to carry your goods. UK customs have, in the past, seized many knives that were in fact legal to own and often available in the UK but at a much higher price hence buying from the US or wherever. Even a UKPK, named for the fact it was built by Spyderco specifically to be within the law was once seized. I lost a Spyderco Poliwog and a Benchmade. Nobody got their knives but nobody got cautioned or investigated by the police.

Surely THAT is a very dangerous and subjective term to start using isn't it?
I agree it doesn't look Vanilla-Tramonita-Machetesque , but where is some one going to interpret as being intended for Zombies?

I have one of these in the Shed - Does the handguard now make it more " weapon like "?

blade.jpg

Just asking , just playing devils advocate - Wondering where this kind of interpretation may end.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think the hand guard is perceived by many as being part of a weapon, yes. It’s designed to protect the hands of swordsmen and used on many fighting knives.

As has been mentioned, I think the interpretation ends on the FedEx or customs doorstep.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Couple of us on here have had issues with fedex classifying knives as ‘undeliverable’ - I ordered some kitchen knife blanks from brisa that got held up by fedex for over a week while the decided. Another member ordered from brisa and fed ex completely refused to deliver at all and they ended up reordering.

my advice would be to avoid fedex. Have since ordered from brisa some more knife blanks via DHL and had no issues, arrived at my door 3 days later

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Looking at the law (as I've no idea what a Zombie knife is) then it states:

the weapon sometimes known as a “zombie knife”, “zombie killer knife” or “zombie slayer knife”, being a blade with—

(i)a cutting edge;

(ii)a serrated edge; and

(iii)images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence.”

Now, that knife does have a cutting edge, serrated edge and the Spanish for Spartan written on it. So it could be classified as a Zombie knife depending on your views of "Spartan".

Buying it from a company that seems to be UK based would seem a reasonable defence but take care in future.

I'd also say that wouldn't be very good as a machette anyway, you want a bit of weight at the front, not a silly point IMHO.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, as I was the first to utter the word Zombie, I will explain why. Partly it was that it has been held up...and being interpreted as a zombie slayer blade would be one possible explanation for that.

Personally, when I look at the item in all particulars, I see a fantasy weapon, not a tool. When I look at TeeDee's I see a tool, albeit one with an odd handle. It isn't just one thing, it is the ensemble. It is very pointy, which isn't needed in a chopping tool, the saw back looks like it is there for looks rather than function since it is unlikely the teeth have set, usually such saws bind quickly in the cut. The swooping recurve edge, blade cut-outs, choil and sweep of the guard all look like effort has been spent on styling, one could say it looks fast while sitting still, and that tends to be the case with weapons and fantasy stuff, not utilitarian tools. This is in stark contrast with TeeDee's tool, which no one spent any time styling, it is all low cost and function.

I use a Condor Eco Parang in my parents' large garden for a lot of jobs, so I think they are great tools, sadly the Eco does not appear to be sold any more, but there are similar other alternatives. That and a folding saw are going to be better than any combo "machete".

Chris

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Hi Wildgoose, thanks very much.

It's been confirmed that customs have seized it by the seller and Fedex it seems.
Ok, I’m no customs expert but I imagine you’ll get a letter explaining what was seized and why, as well as the power used to seize it.
may have a chance to appeal although I wouldn’t hold up much hope on that one

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Surely you have Fiskars billhook available in the UK? A perfectly good tool for bushes and branches, I have used one myself.

61NqTX50VQS._SL1500_.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have bushes in the back garden that need thinning out, and some of the branches are quite thick so I thought something with a saw on the back of it would be useful for that. Apart from that it's a nice looking tool.

It's literally the first time I've tried to buy an edged item before. I wish I'd done more research before I'd ordered it.
I feel your pain, I assure you the loss of a Spyderco and Benchmade did irk me at the time (really hacked me off!) and I’ve had to learn from there.

There are better tools than your choice for the work you describe, the sawbacks on knives dont really saw anyway, they’re just a series of points to add to the tactical look. As a tree surgeon who’s spent much of his life pruning and thinning, I’ve only ever used a handsaw like a bow saw or Silky, and loppers or secateurs.

I get why it appealed to you, it would have appealed to me many years ago, like the Rambo knives and Fairburn Sykes daggers, but they’re not really very practical. The fact of it is, even to me, and I’m open minded about bladed items, it looks like a weapon and I’m not in the least surprised it’s been stopped at the border. I’m actually glad it has been.

Reactions: gra_farmer

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I also possess one of these.

latin.jpg

Just lacking the D-Handle.

I think Machete as a term is so generic it easily can step over the line in styling between tool and weapon.

Reactions: Nice65 and MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE