Machete seized by UK customs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I think that this was the case that lit a fire under the issue 2016.

June 2017 - just wanted to carry on fondling it while driving around with a pocket full of drugs...

April 2019

November 2019

Feb 2021

Reactions: Nice65

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It seems that the moniker ‘zombie knife’ applies to any type of bladed weapon that is styled or designed to shock and frighten by the shear size and style of its blade? Is that a fair comment?
I think that is a fair assessment.

Although I think terming it as a bladed weapon maybe making a distinction between what can and can't do significant harm.

IIRC Lee Rigby was beheaded in the streets with a standard kitchen knife and a Butchers chopper. Not a Zombie Knife.

( RIP Lee )

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I think that is a fair assessment.

Although I think terming it as a bladed weapon maybe making a distinction between what can and can't do significant harm.

IIRC Lee Rigby beheaded in the streets with a standard kitchen knife and a Butchers chopper. Not a Zombie Knife.

( RIP Lee )

yes, good point, anything can be an offensive weapon if the intent is there.
I could turn my kitchen mop into an offensive weapon if I took it out of the house with the sole intent be to bash someone round the head with it

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I could turn my kitchen mop into an offensive weapon if I took it out of the house with the sole intent be to bash someone round the head with it

Not sure if you are tongue in cheek taking the mickey out of me or not? , which is fine! :)

But yes to a point , any sharp from the kitchen drawer is going to be lethal if its applied with considerable force and vigour or as you say , Intent.

And thats it isn't it - If one really wants to do harm to another - that person is going to find a way until we start banning ALL knives or sharps everywhere..

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Not sure if you are tongue in cheek taking the mickey out of me or not? , which is fine! :)

But yes to a point , any sharp from the kitchen drawer is going to be lethal if its applied with considerable force and vigour or as you say , Intent.

And thats it isn't it - If one really wants to do harm to another - that person is going to find a way until we start banning ALL knives or sharps everywhere..
No not tongue in cheek, and not taking the mickey. Merely meant one persons kitchen knife is another persons deadly weapon etc - if I leave my house with a kitchen knife in my bag because I am going to my mother in laws to carve a chicken, it’s not an offensive weapon. But if I take it out the house to ‘protect myself’ or expressly to cause harm to someone else, then it becomes an offensive weapon.
Not taking the mickey at all bud :)

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Almost anything can be made into a weapon, I trained in security in my youth, and a well folded news paper can break a jaw. I even saw it done with leaflets

Reactions: MrEd

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Almost anything can be made into a weapon, I trained in security in my youth, and a well folded news paper can break a jaw. I even saw it done with leaflets

Agreed - even just a slip of paper.

A few times I've felt my jaw break when picking up the bill for dinner..

just tends to drop to the table with a " Hooooowwwwwmucccccchhhhhh!!!! " expression on it. :)

• Haha
Reactions: MrEd and gra_farmer

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Tried to verify this was actually tweeted, but couldn't find it, so may have been deleted.

afe776fdeeedcd26a98ce82feae515b4a991e554e90db348110264759b810427_1.jpg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Or a chair leg in a plastic bag judging by the guy shot dead by armed police after someone reported a guy walking around with a shotgun. IIRC that was wondering that made the news maybe ten years ago. I'm not sure how you load a pump action chair leg!!!

To reply to an earlier post, a teenage boy fondling his big knife might be a thing but I think the real issue was the use of these knives in gang culture was more relevant to the ban. Those murders with zombie knives surely played a big part to but I recall something about gang social media videos? The news programme showed a few video clips of hooded and masked gang members holding these knives and rapping about what they're going to do to the rival gang. It's like the drill MC music style that got condemned in parliament.

However as a digression you really me should Google the IIRC a leading drill MC rapping in his style but using only words used by MPs in parliament of reported as attributed to an MP in a newspaper. The establishment is as bad as the culture they condemned, quite rightly IMHO. I believe it was C4 news who commissioned the MC to produce that rap with video. Suitably masked up because you don't let people know who you are of you're into that scene.

As to the knives, I once got told by an experienced martial arts instructor that using a knife is not a good idea because you might well get it taken off you and used against you unless you really know how to use it. He promptly demonstrated with a wooden training knife. 7th Dan in ju-jitsu last time I heard about him. Ex army, close protection/close protection trainer, etc. So he kind of knows a bit about using s knife and defending against a knife. Some amazingly simple techniques BTW. My favourite technique is to not be there. Either keep out of danger or do what you can until you can run like hell away!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Out of interest, I would be interested to know what the OP gets for his shrubs. Now if he lived near me I've got a fair few garden hand tools he could borrow instead of a big knife.

I took out a fair few bushes since moving into our new house with nothing more than a £3 secateur from Tesco's. I got a better one since and better means sharper and better built. That makes it a cleaner cut too. A wide opening pair to get probably too thick branches in.

Best buy was a samurai folding pruning saw and a £10 ratchet loppers from Tescos. That cuts through quite thick branches, probably all the ones you'll see in a bush.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If it doesn't work I've got 6'5" height which seems to work so far. As a student my group of mates got into trouble quite a few times but never with me. I'm a lot chunkier now too! One guy mugged for a suitcase of dirty clothes. That guy started carrying a knife after that. He was Manc though!! :D

BTW I don't agree with violence or carrying knives and at the time that guy got told. Never carried it again.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If it doesn't work I've got 6'5" height which seems to work so far. As a student my group of mates got into trouble quite a few times but never with me. I'm a lot chunkier now too! One guy mugged for a suitcase of dirty clothes. That guy started carrying a knife after that. He was Manc though!! :D

BTW I don't agree with violence or carrying knives and at the time that guy got told. Never carried it again.

Probably just means you'd end up getting stabbed in your lower intestines as opposed to your upper thoracic cavity.

Pyrrhic Victories are the best.

• Haha
Reactions: Athos

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Everything can be used as a weapon but legislators can't ban everything. Ever since the first human picked up a stick or rock to hit another human, anything can be considered a weapon by destination.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Probably just means you'd end up getting stabbed in your lower intestines as opposed to your upper thoracic cavity.

Pyrrhic Victories are the best.
Nice thought. Probably why my first thought is not be there.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
I have bushes in the back garden that need thinning out, and some of the branches are quite thick so I thought something with a saw on the back of it would be useful for that. Apart from that it's a nice looking tool.

It's literally the first time I've tried to buy an edged item before. I wish I'd done more research before I'd ordered it

If it's a tool for UK garden work you seek, you should know the UK produces it's own ancient time honoured tools specifically designed for UK vegetation work, examples of which can even be bought on the UK Ebay site where you know their attitude on the subject of knives. Consider the search terms; sickle, slasher and billhook.

But that thing shown above looks to me to be suggestive of a weapon, not a garden tool, to not be surprised it was seized.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE