Lymes Disease symptoms - have I got it ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a funny rash like that, comes out in sort of feather patterns from the spine kind of thing, back or front iirc. It's some sort of mite that starts off with a single spot.
The simplest cure is, believe it or not, to cover yourself in coal tar shampoo and put on old tshirt and suchlike and sleep on it. Next morning shower and it's dead and gone :D

No idea where you'll find real coal tar shampoo anymore though :dunno: I suppose the Docs will have some ultra safe and tested to the Nth degree expensive pharmaceutical cure nowadays :)

Hopefully nothing malignant Rich, and you're on the mend asap.

atb,
Toddy

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hope your ok shewie any excuse not to come to the moot lol get well soon regards dave

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've had it and told my doctor what I had due to the bullseye rash. He didn't believe me and sent me home. He then rang and said to come back for treatment after talking to a colleague. I didn't have veins surfacing like that or pains there...

Don't start netsearching it because the further you look into it the worse it can sound! Blood tests supposedly only work on some people and the only true way to test is wait and do a spinal tap or so I've heard. If you treat it with doxycycline straight away you'll be grand. I was anyways...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's a funny rash like that, comes out in sort of feather patterns from the spine kind of thing, back or front iirc. It's some sort of mite that starts off with a single spot.
The simplest cure is, believe it or not, to cover yourself in coal tar shampoo and put on old tshirt and suchlike and sleep on it. Next morning shower and it's dead and gone :D

No idea where you'll find real coal tar shampoo anymore though :dunno: I suppose the Docs will have some ultra safe and tested to the Nth degree expensive pharmaceutical cure nowadays :)

Hopefully nothing malignant Rich, and you're on the mend asap.

atb,
Toddy

LOL. Sounds like nhe way we used to cure dogs with mange. Similar antway as we used old motor oil and just let it wear off. Simple principle really; anything that viscous suffocates the mites.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Came back from the Bushcraft Show and about three days later got a small bruise like thing near my groin. Looked a bit bullseyeish so went to the Doc's. Blood test straight away and onto doxycycline - even before they were sure of the diagnosis. They reckon the antibiotics will do me no harm even if it isn't Lyme and weren't prepared to take any chances. I'm pretty pleased with their reaction. Hope you get it sorted, Shewie.

K

KneeOh

im pretty sure ive got lymes disease, youve heard of a chick-magnet,....well im your resident tick-magnet...

no joke, all the time, if we ever go fishing or camping or whatever, im the one that ends up with the tick! pain in the ****, must be my scent or something!

aye but always get the flu, some other 'online symptoms', and athritis or something, every time i damage a tendon or a bone by staving or whatever, it gubs it up and i cant bend it anymore lol.

i could just be a hypocontriact though, so the juries still out on that one!

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Sorry to hear you're suffering Rich, sounds like a worrying situation mate :(

I can't believe it takes a month to get the bloodworks back! I'm sure if the pain were to "suddenly" increase and you paid a trip to A&E, they could have them done by the next day :) Or alternatively pay £100 to get it rushed through at the Yorkshire Clinic in Bingley...

... Either way, i hope the prognosis is a good one & your back hanging in no time :)

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
That's an odd rash you have Shewie.
It doesn't look like Lyme's at all, but then, a rash I had some years ago didn't look remotely like the Wikipedia picture either, but it turned out to be Lyme's all right.
They prescribed me some doxycycline which seems to have taken care of things.

(Look out for a new member called Mrs Shewie, she might have a bit of kit to sell)
Now now, don't be so gloomy! :) :)

Best of luck!

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hope it comes back negative Sewie. The anti-biotics willknock it out for now but IIRC they don't actually cure it always. Sometimes the problems return later. Years later. I had the vaccination series back when it was still on the market.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for the well wishes, hopefully it's not too serious.

It won't ground me though, I'm out next weekend in the Lakes and then back up to Scotland at the end of the month.

Sounds like shingles mate, a lad work just had it a rash of sorts (veins ) goes around your torso, is it sore and sensitive to touch/painful?

I did ask the doc about shingles but they said it wasn't that, in fact I asked about everything I could think of, ulcers, appendicitis, worms and ticks

There's no pain to touch it, I'd describe it more like an indigestion or heart burn kind of pain, but very localised in small areas. If I press the veins they disappear for a few seconds and then come back again, just like any veiny blemish I have.

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Hope everything is fine with the results, Shew.

Talking about rashes, I get some bad ones when I cut down the ivy in our garden, get it all over my arms, lasts for weeks, must look into it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE