Lundhag boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 19, 2005
Gloucestershire
Thinking of getting a pair of Lundhag Jubilee Hunter boots for winter work ,walking and general outings and wondered if anyone had any views on them before I splash out.Whilst I am on just wanted to say thank you and recommend Andy at Outdoor Code for the speed and service he provided for a recent Swanni bushshirt I had off him,thanks.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Do also consider a pair of Sorels if you want a good winter boot. Not sure who now brings them into the UK but I can reccomend the models that come with a pull-out boot length liner.

Cheers

K
SorelBoot.jpg
[/IMG]

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Sorel's are good winter boots. Canadian engineering at it's best. The boots have to be warm and waterproof enough that you can stand in the snow all day drinking your beer and not get frostbite. :D

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi Pokem

I have both Sorel and Lundhag boots - though not the Jubilee Hunters you're asking about. Both are RBLTs (rubber bottom leather tops) but are pretty different from each other.

The Lundhags are absolutely top quality - mine are around 15 years old and on to their 2nd or 3rd re-sole. I use them in cold wet weather when I'm likely to find myself bogtrotting and river crossing. Part of the reason I like them is that if I need to cross a river I can take off my boots and socks, take out the insulating insole and put on just the boots - wade across, and then, because they have no lining or liner, I can just wipe the inside dry, put my dry socks back on and carry on with dry feet. Try that in normal lined and padded hill boots and your socks just become saturated from the water coming back out of the boot lining. Provided the leather top is properly cared for then the boot shell is waterproof and the lower part being made of rubber won't lose its waterproofness after a few hours of trudging through wet bogs in the way that other all leather boots will.

The Sorels too are high quality, but they are something else entirely - they are for real cold and snow. They are by no means a hill boot and they aren't stiff enough to either kick steps in crusted snow or to cut through ice crust with the side of the sole. The rubber shell of the Caribou Evolutions in the pic aren't tough enough for rough work either IMO but they do make ones with Steel toecaps IIRC. However I would be very confident in them outwith the hills or steep ground and if you really need to keep your feet warm then they're the best way to go. The liner in mine is made of felt and once it gets wet either from condensation or if you let water in over the top of the boot (it's shell is watertight otherwise.) then you will struggle to get it dry - it can take ages. I have just bought a second set of liners for mine and actually if I was going to be out in the wilds in real cold with them for a long time then I would consider taking a third pair of liners.

The Lundhags are one of my favourite pairs of boots - they excell in Scottish moorland conditions and the quality is second to none. The Sorels are what I reach for though when the snow is lying thick and the temperature is dropping, (provided I'm not heading for the high hills that is.)

Hope this helps.

George

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
i gotta pair of lundhag scouts and i can't find a single fault with them! they're the soundest boot i've ever owned and as george said superb quality. i'm sure if u get a pair you'll have them for an age.

might wanna check out altberg boots though.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
george said:
Hi Pokem

I have both Sorel and Lundhag boots - though not the Jubilee Hunters you're asking about. Both are RBLTs (rubber bottom leather tops) but are pretty different from each other.

The Lundhags are absolutely top quality - mine are around 15 years old and on to their 2nd or 3rd re-sole. I use them in cold wet weather when I'm likely to find myself bogtrotting and river crossing. Part of the reason I like them is that if I need to cross a river I can take off my boots and socks, take out the insulating insole and put on just the boots - wade across, and then, because they have no lining or liner, I can just wipe the inside dry, put my dry socks back on and carry on with dry feet. Try that in normal lined and padded hill boots and your socks just become saturated from the water coming back out of the boot lining. Provided the leather top is properly cared for then the boot shell is waterproof and the lower part being made of rubber won't lose its waterproofness after a few hours of trudging through wet bogs in the way that other all leather boots will.

The Sorels too are high quality, but they are something else entirely - they are for real cold and snow. They are by no means a hill boot and they aren't stiff enough to either kick steps in crusted snow or to cut through ice crust with the side of the sole. The rubber shell of the Caribou Evolutions in the pic aren't tough enough for rough work either IMO but they do make ones with Steel toecaps IIRC. However I would be very confident in them outwith the hills or steep ground and if you really need to keep your feet warm then they're the best way to go. The liner in mine is made of felt and once it gets wet either from condensation or if you let water in over the top of the boot (it's shell is watertight otherwise.) then you will struggle to get it dry - it can take ages. I have just bought a second set of liners for mine and actually if I was going to be out in the wilds in real cold with them for a long time then I would consider taking a third pair of liners.

The Lundhags are one of my favourite pairs of boots - they excell in Scottish moorland conditions and the quality is second to none. The Sorels are what I reach for though when the snow is lying thick and the temperature is dropping, (provided I'm not heading for the high hills that is.)

Hope this helps.

George

I don't think they make the all-leather uppers model I have anymore and just took the first pic off Sorel's web site that mentioned the boot within a boot removable liner - as in buy an extra pair so one is drying while using the other. Sorels work for me when deerstalking over some of the toughest Forestry Commission (Scotland) ground I know. As you suggest they are proberbly too much boot for use "down South"!

Cheers

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE