Lucky escape for a family who took a bbq into their tent.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
That doesn't make sense to me.... it says in the article that they took the BBQ into their tent "After it was extinguished" So if it wasn't burning...... how has it happened? I can't see how a cold BBQ can give off fumes, wouldn't it give off fumes then, before it was lit too? Given that charcoal is burnt already?

Probably food poisoning, given the dog and kids were being sick, CM poisoning doesn't tend to do that

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
As I understand it, the charcoal will have gasses in it from the combustion process and will release those gasses over quite long periods of time after combustion ceases; those gasses are not present in the same form beforehand and so only present a danger after they've been released, hence no danger before combustion.
It's the difference between pyrolysis and full combustion.

I stand ready to be corrected by superior knowledge, though :)

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
I suppose you all read about the Himalayan? expedition where a burning stove was thrown quickly out of a tent - straight into the tent opposite?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I will hold my hand up to say that I would have thought an extinguished BBQ would be safe. Just goes to show how wrong you can be.

I've used fires in semi confined spaces such as recreated "Viking" buildings many times and sometimes used charcoal in those situations to reduce smoke but never experienced any problems. This makes me think seriously about that policy in the future.

Such buildings are rarely as well sealed as a zipped up tent, usually incorporating a smoke vent in the roof apex at least but at lower levels the tendency is naturally to try and reduce draughts which could affect air flow.

Food for thought....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought about that too, Gary.
I think it has to do with the way we think nowadays to stop all draughts; in the past they knew that the fire needed air and homes were built to baffle draughts not to eliminate them.
Good modern tents are pretty much draught free at the lower levels where folks sleep though. Vented by mesh near the ceilings, but not so much down at the 'tub' base.

A silent killer the CO stuff.

M

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Why take an extinguished BBQ into your tent anyway?
If it is warm still - leave it out to cool - if it is cold - put it in the bin....

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
If it is warm still - leave it out to cool - if it is cold - put it in the bin....
Exactly. The only thing i can think of is they were using it for heat and rather than appear stupid to the masses they chose to say the BBQ was out when they brought it in.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I suppose you all read about the Himalayan? expedition where a burning stove was thrown quickly out of a tent - straight into the tent opposite?
Lol No, but family legend has it the only time my gran swore was in 1943 after grandfather came home drunk and blew the gas light out.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

Possibly a mix of 'It's late, it's out, we'll clean it out in the morning ...' and, if it was a nice/costly BBQ, being concerned it might walk in the night if left outside?

It's it being extinguished which is getting me ... Other than with water, how the hang do you extinguish lumpwood/briquettes? Or is it the old camp fire favourite, 'there's no flames therefore it's out ...'? Perhaps it had just cooled enough to pick up and they considered it to be out and safe?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Possibly a mix of 'It's late, it's out, we'll clean it out in the morning ...' and, if it was a nice/costly BBQ, being concerned it might walk in the night if left outside?

It's it being extinguished which is getting me ... Other than with water, how the hang do you extinguish lumpwood/briquettes? .....

I just put the lid on mine and close the vents. But I never bring it inside.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

Nope - but once saw a guy at "Willeys Barn" in the Ogwen Valley pitch his tent and before doing all else start cooking on a pressure stove. The stove had a "flare-up" and he kick it away from himself and the gear he had piled up as wind breaks... it went straight into his tent which burned to the ground in seconds. He slowly packed up and went home...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, just a little.

But he should have had contingency plans. My frame tent blew over and I spent two days in getting it fixed, I managed to borrow a spare tent from another camper.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
As I understand it, the charcoal will have gasses in it from the combustion process and will release those gasses over quite long periods of time after combustion ceases; those gasses are not present in the same form beforehand and so only present a danger after they've been released, hence no danger before combustion.
It's the difference between pyrolysis and full combustion.

I stand ready to be corrected by superior knowledge, though :)
I am not saying superior knowledge, and if you can point me in the direction of the info i'll gladly read it.

They probably tipped water on ituntil sodden, and thought the flames out. If I did that with fires I would have left a lot of fires burning. I usually tipp water on a fire, mix it round, leave it for five minutes and repeat. If after ten minutes not all the fire coals are cold and wet to the touch I do it again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE