Lowest temp UK hang record

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Sounds like you've got it covered KP :)

Coal's the biggest help as its heavy but will help dry the kit well and saves carting too much wood.

Whats the sitch with the firewood there? I don't remember much dead wood about but a good stock leant up against the bothy-does the ranger bring wood up?

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Not too much wood at the Bothy last time I was there- lots of fallen trees over by Derry Lodge. IIRC, the use of coal is preferred as taking dead wood harms the wee critters at the bottom end of the ecosystem ;)

I was also thinking about another possible site- the Linn of Quoich? Although there is no bothy, the cars can be parked very close by. If anyone had a frontier stove and I take my lavuu..... Just a thought!

I might take pics on Tuesday and post them up..

KP

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lovely spot too KP :)

Done a few nights up there, the last had a frost in late june!

I dont think it will get as cold there as Derry lodge as the catchment area is a bit smaller for the sinking cold air. Thats just conjecture though, the farmer that lives at the bottom of Quoich water should know better than anyone. Its certainly easier to get to though and loading up with wood and coal in the van will be dead easy.

Re. fallen wood; I suspected that was the case. Didn't know if anyone drops wood off at the bothy to chop-I've always seen a landy driving the track.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Oh dear- looks like tomorrow is a no-go! Forecast is heavy rain in the east with winds gusting to 75mph. Me thinks its nae the best day to cycle to Derry with 10kg of coal on my back!!!

I think im going to order a frontier stove on Payday and fit it in the Lavuu :)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hahaha- that would have to be one heck of a Lavvuu Shewie! Thinking more about we use the Lavvuu with stove in place of the bothy at Linn of Quoich- somewhere to dry kit, bail out to etc....

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good move on bailing the ride KP, looks like it got a bit rough your way today!

The heated Lavvu would be great, agreed!

Having the vehicles closer is a big plus for Quoich. Theres the option of hanging the hammocks for one night by the Dee on the sparse trees under quoich, I'm sure that will be the very coldest spot possible in the valley.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It felt a bit cooler here today so I was day dreaming about the trip all afternoon

I think I've got a bit of a pulk plan in the making, involving a cheap sledge, an old towel rail and some copper pipe :)

EDIT:

Meant to say, I was looking at these earlier, I think with a bit of 2x2 they could make something like Gary showed in post#83 ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolla-Sle...ys_ET&var=&hash=item6d70c38976#ht_1040wt_1185

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Just bought a Pulk shell from Snowsled.

Ice-Blue-top-viewDSC02070.jpg

Ice-Blue-side-view-DSC02068.jpg

Going to have fun now sorting out the harness system and the load fixings.

I've got a few ideas but I'm going to give it a good coat of Lookinat before I start drilling holes in it.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I can imagine the first part of the walk in to Bob Scotts would be quite tricky in real deep snow,the through the forresty bit and the swampy bit just after(not sure if my memory serves me well, but isnt there a small wooden track through the swampy bit?)should be a testing in more ways than one experiannce.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Google/Ebayfu mastery bud. Reading about polar hauling, the Sabre 45 makes the best harness apparently. I'm thinking of modding a pack now.

Just bought a Pulk shell from Snowsled.

Ice-Blue-top-viewDSC02070.jpg

Ice-Blue-side-view-DSC02068.jpg

Going to have fun now sorting out the harness system and the load fixings.

I've got a few ideas but I'm going to give it a good coat of Lookinat before I start drilling holes in it.

Haha! I like that :)

Still looking like a cold one according to many :D

I can imagine the first part of the walk in to Bob Scotts would be quite tricky in real deep snow,the through the forresty bit and the swampy bit just after(not sure if my memory serves me well, but isnt there a small wooden track through the swampy bit?)should be a testing in more ways than one experiannce.

Theres a built up track all the way to the bothy I thought? I always go the back way but a landy drives up there regularly. The boggy bits will be frozen solid anyway(hopefully)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Shouldn't be much in the way of boggy parts as there is a wooden walkway across the dip between the car park and track. The landy track comes out a bit further up the road and is worth considering as the dip / walkway is pretty steep both sides, especially if pulling a pulk!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I didnt realise you could avoid the boggy bit ive only ever been once and met up with the track after crossing the bog,and then the bridge over the river, i only mentioned it as like you say its quite steep,(for sledge)and if snow was deep you wouldnt be able to see the walkway,though probs would be frozen(specially if the link Shewie put up comes true!!!)Really hoping i can attend this,dug out the kids sled, it saw me ok last year loaded full of wood i cut and dragged through two fields.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Will be my bog standard boots... Can't justify the expense unfortunately. I was looking at a pair of snowshoes in Tiso's today... What a price! Hahaha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE