Lowest temp UK hang record

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For me, the microspikes every time-fantastic bits of kit.

I'm dead set on the msr lightnings now, reviews say there awesome and I only need to sell one kidney to get them. I like the idea of more grip on ice and icey crust, as we suffer more with ice and thaw/freeze than deep snow here.

I reckon the smooth side bars on those canyons could be made to bite better with some add-on spikey bits/screw in studs. There a good price though mate, just a bit short for my weight.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.htmlWeather update

After doing a recce of the area at the weekend with Rich, Glen Quoich is not as suitable as Derry Lodge. Hanging is more limited up Glen Quoich for a few hammocks, they're spaced too far apart and the walk in isn't much further to Derry Lodge. We both noticed the cold there, much less warm than Quoich.

The trees near to Bob Scotts by the river bank are perfect hammock spacing too, Derry Lodge is the venue, as we originally thought before considering Quoich instead.

Would you still take your heated tent KP? Theres some nice spots by the river bank too;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Baggsy have these two ...

treesbaggedgetoff.jpg

:)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Doubt it TBH, I still haven't got my stove (other priorities) and I have since remembered that the Lavvuu was proofed with Thomsons Waterseal a couple of years ago- makes me twitchy thinking about a fire inside it!

The bothy will be on hand for bail out etc so no need to humph 15kg of tent as well as my gear, assuming even that I'm free to come along (young family and work every second weekend)

KP

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
5695de87-d6e3-895c.jpg

That's my two then (ok, one is somewhat hidden behind the one on the right, but I know it's there!) hehehe

EDIT: not sure why it's blurred- looks fine in the pics folder on the iPad

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You can have those two Rich, too close to the outhouse for me. I'll be opening a deposit account in there, ice won't help dull the luscious bouquet. (Has anyone spotted the Moomin near the bothy?)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Moomins

It's a kids TV show from Sweden that I used to watch when I was a nipper. My red pack cover and hat reminds me of them.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
moomin.jpg
You'd better take this moomin down with one shot mate. I reckon this one would be dangerous if you put a bullethole through its pack without killing it.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's some good eating on those Peterborough breed of Moomin

Apparently they have a big red target on their backs so easy to pick off

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its going the right way at last. The long range forecasts are a complete mess at the moment, along with the short range too.

Who'd have thought the British weather was hard to accurately predict :lmao:

I've now seen every variation of possibilities predicted;warm and wet, dry and cold. There must be some bet-spreading going on with all these forecasts. One of them will claim the glory for next year and reap the rewards.

When I left there last week, the temp plummeted 10c in the valley at the top of Quoich in about 30 mins to below freezing, but was still 10c 500 feet down the valley at the Dee.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Got my pulk just about done, just need to sort out a decent bag and I might buy a second identical sled and drop this one into it, some pics ...

DSC03468paint.jpg

DSC03472paint.jpg

DSC03474paint.jpg

DSC03473paint.jpg

DSC03476paint.jpg

Bring on the white stuff

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looking good mate;)

Time to get out there and trash em' hauling kit!

I wonder which is better though? Hmmnn......the black one is a nice profile, but the green is longer .....Only one way to find out..........

Pulk fight in the mountains!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Fancy a practice run round Ladybower when the snow comes?

Black has got to be faster surely? I'm looking forward to getting camp setup and doing some sledging :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I reckon all this talk of low temps won't happen this year, it was the third mildest xmas on record today, let's hope the temp takes a dive in the next few months.

Last edited:

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Mad innit ?? Nearly cooked the turkey outside on the barbie today :D!!! Was out walking on the beach (tyneside )this morning to catch the sun rise , nice warm wind in me face !!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE