Lowa Mountain boots GTX (on the way)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
Oh yeah boys, this time I hope i go myself the right boots.

Lowa Mountain Boots GTX.
They are expensive but after reading an exsausting amount of reviews I decided these are the boots for me.

Anybody else has them and what is your verdict?

footwear_lowa_mountain_boot_gtx.jpg

I have two pairs - one about a year old and used for "best" and another pair that are 3-4 years old.

I really rate these boots and have walked many, many miles in them - never a blister or sore feet. After trying many other makes I'd not go back to anything else for UK Spring, Autumn and Winter use. Summer time they are too warm - as I found out on Cader Idris last weekend!!

I used to use the lowa active cream and water stop - but the boots always looks tatty until I went over to Nikwax water based products.

These boots will serve you well and hopefully be the best boots you have ever owned.

Enjoy!

Phil.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have had a pair for a few years now, they are very very good never a moments trouble, Dry, Comfey

Worth the money!

Regards

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes, I have a pair, about two and a half years old now and I tend to wear them on all my instruction and training events, as well as when just mooching about the wood.
They are very comfortable; warm when it's cold, not too hot when it's warm and I never have sweaty, sore feet anymore.
Always bone dry, except for the odd occasion I step in water that goes over the tops!

I tried them extensively during the first winter I had them; Helvellyn via Striding Edge, Sca Fell Pike as well as quite a few miles of lower walking.
Two drawbacks for me; They are quite heavy and the grip is terrible on wet rock.( except for the most coarse types of rock)
Seashore/rock pooling conditions? -don't!
I was quite disappointed by the poor grip afforded by the sole units, indeed, for these to be called a mountain boot, for me at least, they certainly do not "do what it says on the tin":D

For all that, overall, I'm still pleased with mine, for mountain/hill work I use my Scarpa Manta's ( about 10yrs old now and well round the clock:cool: ) but for anything else the Lowa's are fine;)
cheers
R.B.

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
cant beat em i have 2 pairs one of which just cost me 38 quid to have new bumpers / soles and liners fitted came back like new great boots before these came out i had matterhorns you wont be dissapointed all the best

ALWAYS PAY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AFFORD FOR KIT THE CHEAP STUFF ALWAYS LETS YOU DOWN WHEN YOU NEED IT MOST

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
i have been trying to get a pair from the army for the last year...and i got them last weekend ..took of my combat highs and slipped my feet into the lowas and WOW .all i can say is how comfortable they are and not as heavy as the CH's.
no proplem even running in them....i'll give it a couple off months then start the hole prosess again to get a second pair ;)

fast but dim

On a new journey
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
grip is terrible on wet rock.( except for the most coarse types of rock)
Seashore/rock pooling conditions? -don't!
I was quite disappointed by the poor grip afforded by the sole units, indeed, for these to be called a mountain boot, for me at least, they certainly do not "do what it says on the tin":D

R.B.

couldn't agree more about the grip: i went up tryfan's n ridge in march in a pair: BIG mistake, the grip was poor to say the least! i put it down to them being new boots, but now it seems thats not the case.

apart from that they are a nice boot, i got the supercamp, non gtex leather lined version.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
I had these, but found them to be too heavy and rigid for me, but i'm sure if you wear them in after a few miles, the leather will soften up.

I myself prefer Altberg, great British made boots.

Riceye808

Feb 19, 2011
biggleswade
Hi, Lowa mountain boots do what they say on the label, on my third pair now, gortex this time loving them, do take some time to break in though so be warned so aviod the ol blisters! and buy your exact size too, you dont want foot movement in them. I have a pair of gortex mountain boots for sale uk 9 and a half, in the box still with the lid on never seen the light of day, never been on a foot yeah that new! Drop me an email if anyone interested their £100 bargin!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be good stay on the egde, you see more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

munster

Jan 2, 2011
North Somerset
Lovely boots but when you 1st put them on (1st time, 50th time, 250th time) they don't half feel heavy. Soon forget the weight though! Completey agree with the teflon sole comments though.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I have to say I thought mine were fantastic until the rand came away from the boot. No big deal, these things happen, returned and exchanged no problem. The second pair then went in exactly the same manner. Utter garbage! I will never have anything to do with Lowa ever again.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have the Lowa Supercamp 2 and they are one of my favourite boots, great foot support, super comfy. Good build quality, I went up a half size as I heard they are a bit on the narrow side and I am glad I did cos they were for me. The Mountain boots look great, but I can only wear goretex lined boots in the depth of winter as my feet get too hot. Good luck with your new boots.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I bought a pair of Lowa Mountain boots a couple of years ago.

They are excellent boots.

I think that they may have changed the sole for a grippier version at some point in the past, becasue the grip on wet rock and wet tarmac is good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE