Low Alpine Sting Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Perhaps I failed to make it clear that I spend a great deal of time leading large often not very fit or outdoorsy groups across relatively inaccessible bits of southern Britain. Therefore I need to go prepared especially in the winter.

I'm very impressed with the capacity of the pack, its comfort and the huge opening making loading and unloading a doddle. I like the fact it's green (I don't do bright colours, it attracts the attention of the wrong sort of people like metal-detectorists when I'm working on a new site) and I need a sack that's going to resist a thorough thrashing from briars, barbed wire, flints and whatever else I choose to inflict on it.

Yeah, but still, would you please fill me in on how bringing the kitchen sink or an extra heavy pack would help you in the event of a casualty?

My number one priorities would be to notify the authorities and comfort the rest of the group. Nothing in a back pack would help me with that.

And if you choose to inflict that on your ruck you can like wise chose not to do it. There is always a way around, bushcraft is about being smart and skills, not thrashing through...

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Johnboy I must say I really respect you for not starting a flaming war as these threads usually end up. And you sum it up real good in the last sentence. Durability is great but shouldn't go into extremes.

And it's weird, to not say bizarre that Lowe overstates their weights so much. The controlled weights makes the sting a much more rational choice IMO. And green and on sale a always a plus :)

I will try to do a review on my granite gear vapour trail in a separate thread once I get to taking pics of it. Just for a comparison.

And as has been mentioned, I thought that bushcraft would enable people to travel light, replacing gear with knowledge. I don't see why the wild camping community would need so much more abrasion resistance than e.g. climbers and hill walkers.

Hi BS,

I look forward to the review on your Granite Gear pack. I guess people choose different gear for lots of different reasons that's why there is so much of it to choose from. You like your Granite Gear Vapour, I like my Lowe Alpine Sting, Other people like their PRI Sabre 45 or Issue Bergen. Fortunately we're for the most part free to pick what we want. If you wanted to hold you kit in a supermarket bag then that would be fine also. The important things to note are that we have choice and no one solution is the correct one. Especially with something relatively trivial to life pursuit such as a choice of rucksack.

If my Sting fell apart tomorrow or your Granite Gear pack melted in front of your eyes then I doubt out lives would end. We'd just get on and buy another pack.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Hi BS,

I look forward to the review on your Granite Gear pack. I guess people choose different gear for lots of different reasons that's why there is so much of it to choose from. You like your Granite Gear Vapour, I like my Lowe Alpine Sting, Other people like their PRI Sabre 45 or Issue Bergen. Fortunately we're for the most part free to pick what we want. If you wanted to hold you kit in a supermarket bag then that would be fine also. The important things to note are that we have choice and no one solution is the correct one. Especially with something relatively trivial to life pursuit such as a choice of rucksack.

If my Sting fell apart tomorrow or your Granite Gear pack melted in front of your eyes then I doubt out lives would end. We'd just get on and buy another pack.

Very true. There have probably been very few situations were lives have depended on the choice of pack.

On another funnier note, I once met two dutch guys up in the mountain regions above the arctic circle carrying their gear in plastic shopping bags. For rain protection the used umbrellas. They seemed happy enough.

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
I bought my LA Sting on Thursday from Cotswold for £85 and free P&P, just waiting for it to arrive. Ive also bought a medic pouch for bits and bobs.

Looking forward to using it this week.

Not related to Cotswold in any way.

Thanks for all the advice on this and other threads, you cant beat it with a stick.

atb

John

are they still in stock?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Yep. I got one from Cotswold. But discovered that Endicott's are selling the Sting (aswell as the Strike) as used DPM ones (but still in cracking condition) for well under half the amount I bought from Cotswolds! Doh!

LBL

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I've had my Sting now for a few months and it's been out on a few trips now so I thought I'd post and update the initial review with my thoughts after using it a bit.

Construction and Materials:

No problems at all here the quality of both the materials and construction are first rate.

Features:

All good I've found myself using the side pouches less now summer is here the main 50L compartment is ok for a weekends worth of kit. I really like the inner lid pouch for small stuff you dont need access to that often It reminds me of the small pouch inside the old Berghaus Crusader and Roc

The Sting Gets used in the 50 L Configuation mostly, although the wierd lid shape takes a bit of getting used to...
DSCF0103.jpg

Fit and comfort:
These have been all good. I tweaked around with the adjustable back a bit and now it's 'dialled' in I'd say it's well comfy not quite a comfy as my Vulcan but I think most of that is habituation to Berghaus stuff as I've used if for a while. I also ditched the Fastex Buckle on the waist belt and fitted a 'Bergbuckle' which again I'm habituated to using the fastex buckle is ok but just didn't feel right to me. Padding in the waist belt and shoulder straps is minimal which is ok as they share the load well.

Fastex Waist buckle replaced with 'classic' Bergbuckle
DSCF0101.jpg

Gripes:
Nothing in life is perfect and that includes the Sting. My biggest niggles are as follows:

1. Lid shape Lowe Alpine used to make a series of packs called the Contour IIRC these looked a bit like sport parachute rigs and were contoured to the back. the Lid in the Sting is also contoured and may well owe something of it's design to the contour.. Any how I find it a PITA it just seems an odd shape

2. Snowlock , The snow lock on the sting is minimal again compared to the Berghaus Vulcan et al... this makes loading the pack a doddle as with a large snowlock I often double it back on it's self to keep it out of the way when loading the pack. However it does come into it's own in keeping kit dry and allowing you to overstuff the bergen a bit ( say extra food at the start of a long trip) with the Sting overstuffing the main compartment means something is going to be exposed to the elements.

Stingy Snowlock could use a bit more fabric

DSCF0102.jpg

So am I happy with it? Well yes It's a useful size the construction is great and the features are ok. I'm keen to try out the MOLLE / PALS webbing with a pouch to see how that works out...

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Jhonboy thank you for the update ,
all seems good I do like the bergbuckle mod .
It will be interesting to see if the Dutch issue one are the same in all respects .
Twodogs

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Johnboy good to see its performing as expected. I think my only gripe is the quality of the Zip on the top pouch I am often in and out on that and its not as robust as the Zip on my smaller Sabre. We shall see how this one stands the test of time!!

Glad to hear your summer :rolleyes: has started well. The uk is quietly grinding to a halt as we have a bit of snow!!

Now wheres them snowshoes!! lol

Andy

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Hiya! just a word of interest/warning about fitting a pouch to the molle webbing, I have a Maxpedition Vulture with a Sabercat attached to the front and I have found that the balance is REALLY put off by the extra pouch. As it's a new set-up that I plan to use for summer I haven't taken it out in anger yet so can't say what it would be like over any distance. Curiously my usual winter load out involves a Snugpak rocket pack (which I ADORE) and the last time I took it out I attached a PLCE water bottle pouch complete with 58 pattern bottle, crusader mug etc. I loaded this onto the utility straps that hold one of the side packs in place, pretty much in the same location that a molle pouch would go on the PALS webbing on the Sting, BOY did I feel that extra litre of water! I couldn't believe how much difference was made by that weight in that position, so I'd be interested to know what you attach to that molle webbing and how you get on with it!

Cheers

Sean

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Johnboy good to see its performing as expected. I think my only gripe is the quality of the Zip on the top pouch I am often in and out on that and its not as robust as the Zip on my smaller Sabre. We shall see how this one stands the test of time!!

Hi Andy,

I agree the zips on the lid pocket and the side pouch closures look a bit lightweight. If they are prone to problems then I'll expect they might be knackered or looking a bit worn on the Dutch surplus packs. Soldiers ( in my experience at least) have a habit of knackering zips in short order...

How do you think the rest of the build quality compares to the sabre?

Cheers

John

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I spent last night playing with my Sting and Saracen from Endicotts (though I didn't get any photos).

The zips do look rather flimsy but they are all in good condition on my packs. The packs have certainly been well used, there's a chunk missing off the Sting's female QR belt buckle for instance and lots of fade on the DPM but the zips are still working.

When I have more time I'll do a full review of both, although, apart from the colour, there doesn't seem to be any difference between the mil and the civ versions (unless I'm missing something).

I'd also be interested in finding out about how the MOLLE pouches work with the packs (I haven't got any MOLLE pouches yet so I can't try).

Claudiasboris

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Johnboy to be honest they are both quality sacs as I said my only gripe with the the Sting would be the quality of the Zips If they had used the same (YKK I think) as the sabre and I had to choose only one it would be the Sting based on the back system which I believe will be more comfortable for me with a heavier load.

I do think the SF Karrimors are more akin to the old packs that they built their reputation on, and I know it will last a good few years. On the plus side it fits my lads back really well and synchs up on his waist well enough for him to use it as a small back packing sack. ( hes only 10 but has already used it on a number of camps with cubs etc)

Interesting to hear of the surplus ones though from Endicots they sound a right bargain.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Cheers Teedee, i want to replace my issue bergen with one as being a sodding TA trooper, we get utter carp kit.

Fair enough matey.

Nnext time i'm in I'll see if he will let me walk away for a little trila and photo session with one of the Saracen's , i not too sure how the extendable top pocket will pan out, so i need to give it a try.

I'll PM you when i'm done if he agree's.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Fair enough matey.

Nnext time i'm in I'll see if he will let me walk away for a little trila and photo session with one of the Saracen's , i not too sure how the extendable top pocket will pan out, so i need to give it a try.

I'll PM you when i'm done if he agree's.

:red: cheers fella

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE