Low Alpine Sting Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,
This weekend I took delivery of a Lowe Alpine Sting Bergen ( rucksack) and I thought I’d do an initial review and comparison to other packs I’ve got. I intend to update the review once I’ve gotten some time in with the back out in the ‘field’ here in NZ.
I was after a Bushcrafting Pack ( read green and tough construction) I found out that UK retailer Cotswold camping had the Sting on sale at about 50% off.
For some reason Lowe Packs and especially the Military line do not seem to have been as successful in getting accepted as the Karrimor Sabre series of ‘Bergans’ in the UK Bushcrafting scene. Here in NZ all outdoor gear is murderously expensive so 50% off was a bid draw card for me.
I had been thinking of getting a Sabre 35 as I wanted a smaller Bushcraft pack than my Berghaus Vulcan which is approx 120 ltrs when all the pouches are attached. However for NZ 35 ltrs is a little too small and I tend to do a lot of instruction work with groups so 35 ltrs might be a little cramped for the ‘leader kit’ you end up carrying ( Group sized FAK, Bothy Bag, Walking rope etc)
OK the Stings Specifications are thus from the Lowe Alpine Website:

‘Hewn from the same materials as the Stingray but with a single main compartment, the Sting combines versatility and durability in a 55-liter design. The 10-liter side pockets detach and combine to create a small recon

Name:STING OD - Men (LRM005) Volume:75 L / 3576 cu in
Load Zone:20 - 55 lbs / 9.1 - 24.9 kg
Weight:7 lbs 14 oz / 3 kg 573 g
Torso:15 - 20 inches / 39 - 51 cm’

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

Here it is in comparison to the Berghaus Vulcan.

Front

DSCF0078-1.jpg

Back

DSCF0079-1.jpg

The pack competes most closely with the Karrimor Sabre 45 which is a card carrying accepted bushcraft classic. I’ll take just a few words on the subject of the Sabre 45 I’ve owned and used Karrimor packs a lot in the past and Karrimor’s recent history is somewhat unfortunate. The Sabre 45 is actually a Karrimor in name only these days IMHO as the Karrimor brand is used by Police Resources International (PRI) for a range of packs it sells which are based on old Karrimor designs. I’ve handled a Sabre 45 here in NZ and they are well made and well featured packs. The Sabre 45 seems to me to be based on the old Karrimor 'Hot Earth' rucksack with a few added features such as the ability to add PLCE specification side pouches. The Sabre 45 has a one size fits all back length and that IMHO is it’s main weakness. I really like fixed back length rucksacs and have several. A fixed back length on a 45ltr climbing rucksack such as the old Karrimor Alpinste is no bad thing however when you add on 2 10 ltr PLCE side pouches and the volume and weight of the pack increase then you get problems if your back length doesn’t suit the Sabre. If it fits then I'm sure you'll be grinning.

With the Sting you get a pack equal in construction to the PRI Sabre 45 with a main pack size of 55 ltrs and an adjustable back system. In my mind it's a winner.

Here is the Sting in comparison with 2 other mid sized rucksacs I have.

From L to R
Original Karrimor Alpinste 45 ( Sabre 45’s cousin once removed) Lowe Alpine Sting, Macpac Pursuit 55

DSCF0076-1-Copy.jpg

Ok the Sting has a really well thought through adjustable back system.
The back supports consist of 2 Aluminium stays and the ability to adjust the distance of the shoulder straps from the waist belt.

DSCF0078.jpg

The adjustment is done by pulling open the lumbar pad which is held closed by Velcro this exposes a Large ladder buckle

DSCF0079.jpg

By unthreading the buckle you can then adjust the shoulder strap attachment point up or down on a ladder of tape loops on the back of the pack

DSCF0080.jpg

The sizes I believe are in inches from your waist to shoulder and run from 15” to 20” the back system is therefore not infinitely adjustable ( which would add complexity). I have a long back so set the length at 20”.

Part 2
General Rucksack Features

The Pack has several really well thought out features.
It has really strong front and rear haul loops which I really like

Front Haul Loop

DSCF0082.jpg

Rear Haul Loop

DSCF0081.jpg

The Body of the sack has PALS webbing so additional kit can be fitted that uses the MOLLE system
It also has 2 ice tool holders which for me and my mountaineering are fine they also accommodate a regular Axe without problems.

DSCF0083.jpg

The sack also has side compression straps and a small pouch at the base of the sack which accepts the ends of long items stowed down the side of the pack and stops them working loose it’s ideal for walking poles, Antenna, bivi poles etc

DSCF0084.jpg

DSCF0085.jpg

They also accommodate a GB SFA without any problems.

DSCF0094.jpg

The pack uses standard ITW Fastex clips for 25mm Webbing no propriety clips so replacement if you bust one should be easy.

DSCF0086.jpg

It also has Velcro strap tidies which I really like

DSCF0093.jpg

Finally in this part the sack has a Velcro Strip for the attachment of a name or unit tape or maybe a IFF panel if your using the pack in a tactical situation.

DSCF0097.jpg

Part 3
Side Pouches and pockets
The side pouches are removable and use standard PLCE zip size so the range of PLCE side pouches can be zipped on they also accept the pouches from the Berghaus Vulcan Back pack. The Packs zip together and come with small shoulder straps to form a small day sack great for excursions from a fixed camp and the ease of dismounting the pouches means you can leave them at home if you need less capacity.

Pouches forming a Daysack

DSCF0089.jpg

Side Pouch Comparison L-R Berghaus Vulcan Pouch Lowe Sting Pouch Issue PLCE Pouch

DSCF0090.jpg

The closure Zips on the Sting side pouches are OK but are weaker than the Issue PLCE side pouch

DSCF0091.jpg

The issue PLCE pouches ( and the Karrimor Side Pouches) need and additional yoke which the PLCE pouches clip to via fastex buckles. You cannot use the PLCE pouches as a day pack without the yoke.

The sting will accept any PLCE compatible Pouch as I mentioned earlier,
Here it is sporting a PLCE issue pouch (L) and a Berghaus Vulcan Pouch (R)

DSCF0096.jpg

The lid on the Sting has 2 Pockets. The top pocket on the outside features a key clip.
Top pocket

DSCF0087.jpg

The Inner lid pocket has ample space for a Small FAK and associated items as seen here

DSCF0088.jpg

Internally there is a water bladder pouch that will accept a 3 ltr Water bladder. ( sorry no photo of this)

Construction wise Its very well made I’ve seen a lot of packs ( as you can tell) and it’s as good as a Karrimor product. It’s made from Cordura Nylon ( you get a spare bit supplied for running repairs which is a nice touch).

Ok that concludes the initial review, I just need to get some field time in with it now to see how it goes..

Reactions: Laurence Milton
i did exactly hte same thing tho i was given my Sting a couple of years ago by a mate ;)
i had a Vulcan that i bought new in 92 and used hard since, but having no need to lug the world about any more fancied a Sabre 45 (due to the reviews on here etc :D )

glad now i gotthis one the extra 10 ltrs in the main sack would be sorly missed:rolleyes:

i use a PLCE side pouch on one side anda PLCE Medc pouch on the other

I prefer teh shorter fatter shape ofthe PLCE pouch as it fits the kit I put in it better tho does make you a bit wider:rolleyes:
i havea Yoke set on the Medic pouch as a little day bag and it carries that sort of kit plus pens and notebooks etc and zip on the other pouch to give an overnight set etc etc

you can use the normal Civi shoulder straps just need to fit Fastex Buckles

as you point out its very well made and well featured

Top Bergan 5 stars

ATB

Duncan

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I really like the look of these packs, but I baulk at the weight of them. Over 3.5 Kg for the pack alone? That's heavier than the full 3 litre water bladder that it can carry.

I guess if you make a pack out of heavyweight materials such as cordura you can expect it to weigh a fair bit. But it is highly durable which is what I was looking for.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Absolutely Spanking review, it saved me doing one when mine arrives later today :lmao:

Glad to see it in all it's glory and i firmly believe it's going to over take the old Sabre 45 as "the" backpack for crafting.

Weight isn't really an issue, i regularly carry in the region of 20-40 kgs plus weapon and ammo so that's not going to be a problem for me.

As much as i like the sabre series, i'm also aware of their flaws or "cons" the sabre 45 has a narrow neck which can be annoying when rummaging about in it or trying to fit an issue dossbag in. Hopefully i won't have that problem with the Sting.

Now i'm hankering after a LA Saracen to ditch my issue bergen!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Absolutely Spanking review, it saved me doing one when mine arrives later today :lmao:

Glad to see it in all it's glory and i firmly believe it's going to over take the old Sabre 45 as "the" backpack for crafting.

Weight isn't really an issue, i regularly carry in the region of 20-40 kgs plus weapon and ammo so that's not going to be a problem for me.

As much as i like the sabre series, i'm also aware of their flaws or "cons" the sabre 45 has a narrow neck which can be annoying when rummaging about in it or trying to fit an issue dossbag in. Hopefully i won't have that problem with the Sting.

Now i'm hankering after a LA Saracen to ditch my issue bergen!

The Sting is the Dutch ‘all arms’ rucksack. Only the Special Forces (like the Commandoes) and Air Manoeuvre Brigade both use other Lowe Alpine rucksacks: Saracen 90 + 40 and the Strike 40.
Carried the Saracen from a mate who was in AMB at the time, once: it's a real beast :D

The Sting also has a twin brother, the Stingray, with the same specs - accept for a drawstring divider in the main compartment and a zip in the outside (bottom) to access the lower parts.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Just to echo Johnboy's trumpet blowing about the Sting. I've just taken delivery of mine and it's fantastic. There's even a wee internal pocket for hydration unit and it has the same type of pipe holes that the sabre has for hydration units.
Will find out if it takes my camelbak 3 litre Hot Shot.

Addendum: I'm not a fan of bottom zip compartments on small rucks. I can see their use but in my mind it's just another weak spot unless it's totally seperate from the main bag. Of course in a military ruck it's necessary and one which i wish they would do to the issue bergen.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.

If you're carrying that much then 3.5 Kg is only a small proportion of the weight, and you'll need a good back system.
If I'm carrying that much though, it means that someone's put rocks in my pack.

How much does it weigh stripped down though, with the pockets and extra straps removed?

Cheers, Michael.

Javapuntnl

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2009
Mansfield MA USA
yep, great pack. I've had mine for a bit over year now and we are getting along great. I only wish they would add a couple of inches to the adjustable back, I had to make my own fix.
Always wondered what the purpose of that velcro strip was, now I know, thanks.

Jacob V.

Dodger

Oct 4, 2009
UK
I really like the look of these packs, but I baulk at the weight of them. Over 3.5 Kg for the pack alone? That's heavier than the full 3 litre water bladder that it can carry.
That's just 60g less than the current British Army-issue bergen (3.56kg, as measured on my kitchen scales, including both sidepouches and the yoke) which has a 120l capacity, and the same weight as Arc'teryx's biggest pack, the Bora 95 (3.5kg, according to their website) which has a 99l capacity.

You'd expect the Sting, with it's smaller capacity, to be lighter but I guess the extra features add the weight.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I find Lowe Alpine rucsacs a better quality and better fitting bags than Karrimor,I,ve had 2-3 of each.
Thanks to the Sting review and Algies tip I purchased one today and I am delighted with it,thanks.
The Sting is very well made and very practical, similar to style and quality of my Haglofs.Thoroughly recommend it, the sabre has never floated my boat.

Fil

green elk

Sep 25, 2008
out there
Hey folks,
since there are a lot Sting-owner around: How good ist the back system in terms of taking weight for your Shoulders and how effective ist it compared to the Vulcan? What would you consider the maximum comfortable load for the Strike?
I'm close to ordering now, but still a bit unsure whether this is the best medium-sized bergen for me...
Thanks,

Karlson

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi Karlson,

It's a difficult question to answer on the maximum weight. I carry rucksacks a lot so am used to having a bit of weight on my back for long periods so my tolerence and comfort level is going to be different to someone who wears a rucksack once a month for a 20 minute walk for example.

I can advise I find the Sting comfy to carry. I do not like the waist belt clip which is a big fastex buckle but I'm a real fan of the bergbuckle as used on the Vulcan.. So I'll ditch the fastex buckle and replace it in due course. Maybe with a roll pin buckle or something

It's as comfy as the Vulcan IMHO.

Hope this helps..

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
comfort is relative to fit.
The longer you spend getting it to fit (properly) the more comfortable it will be.

As to the weight if it fits "properly" then you will "loose" the "weight"

To me pack fit is only second to boot fit

scottisha5

Maker
Nov 14, 2009
Motherwell, Scotland, UK
I bought my LA Sting on Thursday from Cotswold for £85 and free P&P, just waiting for it to arrive. Ive also bought a medic pouch for bits and bobs.

Looking forward to using it this week.

Not related to Cotswold in any way.

Thanks for all the advice on this and other threads, you cant beat it with a stick.

atb

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE