Looking for small trangia stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Interesting one. Still not found anything as stable and cheap as the tatonka stand though.

Brilliant idea, no commercial version AFAIK though.

The Evernew trivet fits on the trangia burner - a bit of tinfoil for a windshield and you are good to go.

evernew-ti-alcohol-stove-in-action.jpg

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product500.asp

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Interesting one. Still not found anything as stable and cheap as the tatonka stand though.

Depends how big your pots are. The Evernew trivet works brilliantly with smaller pots like the 10cm billy, crusader cup, USGI cup, GSI glacier cup etc, all of which struggle for stability on stands with no support in the middle, like the Tatonka, Clikstand, Westwinds etc. The trivet also only weighs 16 grams.

Last edited:

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I've been using the Evernew Ti trivet for a few months now and find it great.
Clickstands are good but balancing a small pot or cup on them is difficult.
Happy trails...torc.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Anyone know where i can get the mini trangia stand on its own (ive got burners and pans already), or suggest a way of making something sturdy and lightweight/compact ?
Cheers guys

Stu

Wire mesh works well, let me know if you want a chunk to try Stu as I've got a big roll of it

DSC02366.jpg

DSC02362.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...The Evernew trivet fits on the trangia burner...

The burner in the photo in your post looks like the Evernew Martyn, is it yours?

Looking at the claims for boil times on the page that you linked to, the Evernew burner seems pretty impressive compared to the Trangia. If you've used one, does your experience support their claims? It's probably still a lot less power output than a pressure stove, but definitely an improvement and at the performance they claim I'd say good enough to be in my brew kit when I'm on a tight time budget.

Do you think the trivet slows down the time the burner takes to bloom? I've noticed with the little wire sticks that Trangias (both civvy and military) take a lot longer, probably double. That can be used to advantage if you're cooking, but it's no good if you just want a quick boil.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I find that the most important thing regarding stability is the stability of the actual Meths burner and not the things you put on it. It a pan of water falls of the burner, i can live with that, but if the actual burner itself falls over then you could find yourself having to put out fires. The trivet raises the center of gravity for the whole set up and still relies on the burner for its stability. If a pot falls off the trivet setup, then the burner also falls over, tipping meths everywhere, But if the pot falls of the Tatonka stand, the burner stays where it is. This is what i like about the tatonka setup.....the burner is totaly stable, and for me this is by far the most important thing.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The burner in the photo in your post looks like the Evernew Martyn, is it yours?
The pic is from the web Ged, but I do have one and the trivet.

Looking at the claims for boil times on the page that you linked to, the Evernew burner seems pretty impressive compared to the Trangia. If you've used one, does your experience support their claims? It's probably still a lot less power output than a pressure stove, but definitely an improvement and at the performance they claim I'd say good enough to be in my brew kit when I'm on a tight time budget.
Yes I would say so, the Evernew stove definitely burns hotter (and consumes fuel faster), but I think part of the improvement in boil time, is down to where the jets are located on the stove - specifically, how far away they are from the base of the pot. The outer ring of jets (it has 2 rings) is nearly 2cm lower down the body of the burner than on the classic trangia. Pic again for reference...

evernew-ti-alcohol-stove-in-action.jpg

The actual stove bodies are about identical heights and the trivet sits in the same place on both the evernew and the trangia, but the extra 2cm flame height on the evernew improves performance IMO.

Do you think the trivet slows down the time the burner takes to bloom? I've noticed with the little wire sticks that Trangias (both civvy and military) take a lot longer, probably double. That can be used to advantage if you're cooking, but it's no good if you just want a quick boil.
No, if you put the trivet on straight away, it can interfere with the bloom, I think something to do with air flow rather than heat sinking. But what I do is wait for the stove to bloom before dropping the trivet onto it (the trivet holds it's X shape if held by the lower cross member).

Obvious downside is that the evernew wont seal with fuel inside like the trangia does. Of note, the trangia simmer ring fits the evernew too and works well as a snuffer. Obviously the evernew is a fraction of the weight of the trangia - I really like mine and have taken to using it with the USGI canteen cup and cup stand. Makes a brilliant lightweight kit and loads better than the crusader setup IMO.

Hope that makes sense, I can post some pics if it will help?

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I find that the most important thing regarding stability is the stability of the actual Meths burner and not the things you put on it. It a pan of water falls of the burner, i can live with that, but if the actual burner itself falls over then you could find yourself having to put out fires. The trivet raises the center of gravity for the whole set up and still relies on the burner for its stability. If a pot falls off the trivet setup, then the burner also falls over, tipping meths everywhere, But if the pot falls of the Tatonka stand, the burner stays where it is. This is what i like about the tatonka setup.....the burner is totaly stable, and for me this is by far the most important thing.

Have you tried one? The whole thing with trivet included is about 2 - 3 inches high. About half the height of say an optimus crux with a 100g cartridge. I find it very stable.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Here ya go Ged, hope this makes it clearer....

Both the trangia with trivet and Evernew with trivet...

evernew005.jpg

You can see how the burner jets on the evernew are lower down the stove compared to the classic trangia, I think this is 80% of why the evernew gets better burn times when used with the trivet.

[edit] The rest of this post turned into a bit of a thread hijack, so you can read here if you're interested inthe USGI kit...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77736&p=943525#post943525

Last edited:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Here ya go Ged, hope this makes it clearer....

Both the trangia with trivet and Evernew with trivet...

evernew005.jpg

You can see how the burner jets on the evernew are lower down the stove compared to the classic trangia, I think this is 80% of why the evernew gets better burn times when used with the trivet.

[edit] The rest of this post turned into a bit of a thread hijack, so you can read here if you're interested inthe USGI kit...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77736&p=943525#post943525

Works great on the tatonka stove too - as I was fortunate enough to snaffle one from the Gift It On thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE