Looking for small trangia stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Anyone know where i can get the mini trangia stand on its own (ive got burners and pans already), or suggest a way of making something sturdy and lightweight/compact ?
Cheers guys

Stu

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
How's your bank balance?
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product494.asp?PageID=0

494_C.jpg

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
how about the Tatonka Alcohol Burner Stand from Lakeland bushcraft (and others) for around £6 ? The standard Trangia burner fits straight in.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i think that ged might be on to a winner there, never seen that before, elegant little solution there.

stuart

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
i think that ged might be on to a winner there, never seen that before, elegant little solution there.

I thought I'd invented it and then there is was on Youtube! :O

Of course you can use the Aldi drainer like we did at Spitewinter that time, or just cut a few big holes in an old tin can. A bit more stable but nothing like so compact.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Three rods :lmao: you'll bugger up the soft liner of the burner so NO.

Flog your pots and burner on ebay and buy a new mini Trangia.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

Flog your pots and burner on ebay and buy a new mini Trangia.

that wouldn't have occured to me, do you think a little cylinder of stiff wire mesh would have the same problems?

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Just remembered, ive got one of these already haha. Might invest in another one from Mark (Lurch) as i can count on him for good prices and quick delivery.
how about the Tatonka Alcohol Burner Stand from Lakeland bushcraft (and others) for around £6 ? The standard Trangia burner fits straight in.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.......Of course you can use the Aldi drainer like we did at Spitewinter that time, or just cut a few big holes in an old tin can. A bit more stable but nothing like so compact.

the aldi drainer wasn't a pot stand, it was a bloody crucible!

i use more or less what you've suggested there, a big old tin can with some holes in it (it's a tad more sophisticated than that but in essence that's all it is). compact's kind of relative, my pot stand fits pretty neatly inside my cooking pot so takes up very little room really

stuart

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Another here for the clickstand. No good though of your using a mug to heat water as there too wide.
But there light stable built in windshield and separate windshield.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Think ill either buy another Tatonka stand from Mark, or use my Honey stove for one burner and the Tatonka stand i already have for the other. Honey Stove is a bit heavy though and i dont find it very stable if just using 4 walls for the trangia. I dont much like the 3 rods idea..but i cant really say why, i think that a heavy weight would knaker up the walls of the burner maybe. The clickstand and the triangle are the perfect solution but i have no money, so ill have to make do with very cheap solutions or eat raw nettles.

Cheers everyone for your suggestions.

Stu.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
3 tents pegs sunk into the ground around the burner is what I use. If its windy, foil wraps around the pegs nicely to make a windbreak. This method is free and weightless ( carrying these already), which I like :)

IMAG0111.jpg

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Are we talking about the same thing Richard? The meths burners I have are just brass where the bits of wire touch them, and the brass is cooled by the meths so it isn't hot enough to be softened anyway. I've just made a set for my military Trangia from 3.5mm wire salvaged from an old printer cartridge and although it's very stable (the military version is much bigger than the civvy) I think the wire I've used is a bit too thick, it delays the bloom by several minutes. On the other hand I think it's great for cooking a tin of stew or something because the burner is too fierce for that once it's bloomed. Maybe I should reverse the order I do things, I usually make a brew first and then do the meal, but this way I could use the slow start of the burner to do the meal. :) No sign of damage from the wire but when I took them out with my Victorinox pliers they all had a flame on one end. You might want to watch out for that. :) Of course if you tip the burner over doing something like this it could be very dangerous, so be prepared.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
http://www.tamarackgroup.co.uk/acat...y_of_copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_Accessories.html

Trangia triangle. Like the clickstand but made by Trangia.

Alternatively look for a shop selling gelert. IIRC Gelert make a mini trangia clone that cost me £10. A mate with the trangia one on the same trip compared the two and reckoned the Gelert one was actually better made. The whole kit was about 10% lighter too if that is an issue.

Of courser personally I reckon the mini trangia offers minimal wind resistance IME so better to get something else to use with the burner such as the triangle. I haven't got one but it looks a better windshield combined with a pot stand. I really don't see the point of taking a mini trangia kit if you need to take a windshield as well. If you're taking the windshield (which IMHO you will need) then three Ti pegs and the burner used with the light foil windshield is better than the full mini trangia.

IIRC you can get weldmesh which can be formed into a good potstand around a trangia burner (or any other burner). This would allow a windshield around it.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE