Looking for a stainles steel axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I love my Cegga axe and my SFA but they are both O1. In most situations this is not a problem but on longer canoe trips it can be an issue.

I had the pleasure of a 4 day trip down the Spey a couple of weeks ago and during that time, from the splashing in the canoe, my Cegga axe was in damp conditions and got some surface rust. Nothing I could not deal with but as I see no disadvantages in a stainless steel axe I wonder what would be a good alternative to my Cegga but in stainless steel? Of course if Cegga makes the same axes in stainless steel I would go for that.

For the record I have already been using stainless steel knives for a few years now and have never regretted the switch.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
What about wiping it down with some veggie oil. It works for my mora and I use it on the island all the time. Before I started this it would rust in a couple of days in the salt air

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
There's the Condor Tool & Knives axes, http://www.condortk.com/products.php?type=3 *

* Wasn't a serious suggestion, as the lack of real axe pictures, and the rest of their products looking like sharpened jigsaw pieces with handles stuck on somewhere, I have doubt they're quality products.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
The head of the axe is covered in ren wax. But the axe being in a damp canvas pack for a full four days was just too much. Stainless is definitely the way to go if I can. i just can't see an overriding advantage to O1. There certainly has not been for my knife.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Try coating it in boiled linseed oil. It is quite durable, and cheap enough to pack in a small flask on trips. I store all my axes in a relatively damp cellar and a yearly coating of both handle and blade keeps them in good condition.

As far as i know - the Gransfors is L6 steel - not that it really matters :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the axes won't be O1, but they are carbon steel obviously.

rather than get a crumby stainless axe, why not just accept a little tarnish? run the edge through a candle before you put it away and the important part of the axe is protected, the rest won't dissolve over a week away (or a year sitting under the leaf litter!)

Cegga

Nomad
Dec 21, 2006
Sweden
cegga.spaces.live.com
I love my Cegga axe and my SFA but they are both O1. In most situations this is not a problem but on longer canoe trips it can be an issue.

I had the pleasure of a 4 day trip down the Spey a couple of weeks ago and during that time, from the splashing in the canoe, my Cegga axe was in damp conditions and got some surface rust. Nothing I could not deal with but as I see no disadvantages in a stainless steel axe I wonder what would be a good alternative to my Cegga but in stainless steel? Of course if Cegga makes the same axes in stainless steel I would go for that.

For the record I have already been using stainless steel knives for a few years now and have never regretted the switch.
Mail me I can try to do one in RWL 34
Cegga

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
What kind of steel are they using for those Fiskars axes? I've never owned one and they don't look like an axe I can warm up to but most people I know that have 'em seem to like 'em.

Carbon steel is generally more impact resistant than stainless. In a small hatchet, this may not be a big deal but it might be more noticeable in a large axe. I dunno.

Also, the timberline hatchets are stainless.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was going to suggest a cheapo Blackspur hatchet from Wilkos but now Cegga's gone and said that, I'd be wasting my time to be honest :D

In all seriousness though I've started using one of these for wet trips as most of the time I would use my Cegga for splitting firewood anyway. The combination of a heavy head and the convex edge makes for easy splitting.

Why go Wilkos though when you can have Cegga ;)

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Yup stainless is generally less impact resistant but Rwl 34 is quite an exception to the rule.

It would be quite an axe made from that!

You could also Heat treat it a bit soflter which will give a little more impact resistance, say 57-58. (whereas you would want a knife in that harder)

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
There's the Condor Tool & Knives axes, http://www.condortk.com/products.php?type=3 *

* Wasn't a serious suggestion, as the lack of real axe pictures, and the rest of their products looking like sharpened jigsaw pieces with handles stuck on somewhere, I have doubt they're quality products.

you joke but condor make some really decent tools, much of the cheaper stuff is made by immacasa, and if it's good enough for people who actually live in the jungle then it's good enough for me to play with in the garden

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE