Look Closer

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
This looks great! I made one a while ago - but I wetformed the leather to the glass - big mistake. When I came down in the morning the contracting leather had broken the lens.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like the case, I'll give that a go as I use a small pouch for the lens I made (also a copy of yours!)

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
Yeah, wot he said! Lovely modification, very Steampunk-ish. Not familier with Steampunk? Run a google image search and prepare to be blown away, the computers are amazing.

Anyway lovely piece of work Wayland, well done!

Yep, gotta love Steampunk :)

That sure beats the hell out of a placcy magnifier, very nice indeed. :D

I badly need one myself nowdays unfortunately. :(

Si

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Magnifying-glass.jpg

Just a bit of an update, I have now made a slip case for this to replace the soft pouch I was using.

That is perfect! I have several lenses lying around here and I need to try something similar. Very cool work and very creative!

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent
I have to admit, I'm a bit of a closet fan of Steampunk myself.

It's just so wacky but aesthetic too.

Just picturing your magnifier-directoscope with a large diam brass clock cog, centre cut out so just the toothed edge remains, around the eyeglass, and a few more interconnecting brass cogs stitched onto the face of the cover... That'd look pretty good I reckon. :)

But it looks great as it is :D

Si

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
Yeah, wot he said! Lovely modification, very Steampunk-ish. Not familier with Steampunk? Run a google image search and prepare to be blown away, the computers are amazing.

Anyway lovely piece of work Wayland, well done!

great work think im going to pinch that ;)

as for steam punk! cheers biker ive just lost an afternoon and not gone to the gym googling steam punk its amazing :why:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Love it Gary, great job you did on that one looks very genuine if you know what I mean.
Lovely stuff, and a great idea. Thanks for posting
Yours sincerely Ruud

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
as for steam punk! cheers biker ive just lost an afternoon and not gone to the gym googling steam punk its amazing :why:

Ooopsy :lmao:

My Brother got me into it and I can't remember the blur that first day was when I just kept following link after link. Over at DeviantArt there are some groups devoted to it which means you have a whole batch of them clumped in one place. Dangerous! The leather pouches and bags etc I like especially. I've tried making a few things in that style and it's a head scratcher for sure. Current projects on the go are: a battery drill conversion, a headtorch and a couple of smaller things. All of which I have started and intend finishing one day. Anyway glad you enjoyed seeing that stuff, sorry about the gym.

Well done on that case for the Optiscope Gary. Really completes the piece... and looks like a nightmare to sew. Most impressive. I've saved the photos and now can't decide whether to add the to the Bushcraft handicrafts directory or the Steampunk.

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Lovely piece Gary, I love the whole, the small pouch and the cord etc, it all just works so well together.
Looks so genuine, topjob there.
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE