long wait for a woodlore!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marty66

Apr 12, 2009
dorchester dorset
hi guys, asked quite a few questions on the forum in the last few days just like to thank everyone for their friendly advice i get glued to the forum topics for hours!

anyhow woodlore told me there is a ten year wait for rays knife why so long? or is there literally a full order book? how did alan wood become involved with this knife design? sorry for several questions but very interested .

thanks alot marty66.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It's a long wait because Alan only makes a few each month and demand far outstrips what Alan makes. That's what you get for wanting a 'celeberity' knife.

Alan became involved after Wilkinson Sword closed down ceased producing the original Woodlore knife.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
That's a ridiculous wait, for how much you pay - You would think he could be able to make them faster.
As I have said before there are far better knives out there that are cheaper and you can get them in about a week!

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
I was at the Cornish RV this weekend and there was someone (no names mentioned) making clones or his own take on the said knife.
Why wait 10 years? Life's too short.
It will only become a "drawer queen":D

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
...Alan became involved after Wilkinson Sword closed down ceased producing the original Woodlore knife.

Alan became involved years before Wilkinson Sword did their production version. The Wood version was the original Woodlore, which is what WS based theirs on. Demand outstripped supply even back then, which was why Alan was pleased at the idea of a WS version. The idea was that it would take some of the pressure off.

There are a lot of people making knives which resemble the Woodlore to a greater or lesser degree. You will find though that there is no magic in the design, its just a tool, and like all knife designs it has pros and cons irrespective of who it is that makes it.

Glad you are enjoying the forum. Stick with it, there is tons of good information on here and pretty much all the usual basic "bushcraft" related questions are covered, often from several angles.:)

For instance, there are quite a lot of threads discussing the merits of the Woodlore and other knives, and lots of threads offering advice on good first step-ups after a Mora.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
That's a ridiculous wait, for how much you pay - You would think he could be able to make them faster.
As I have said before there are far better knives out there that are cheaper and you can get them in about a week!

Believe me, if Alan tried to keep up with demand he would go to a very early grave or at the very least to a padded cell!

He is not a machine and asking a craftsman to do such repeptive work is never a good thing. I get fed up if I have to make more than a few of my bushcraft knife at a time, so I end up making strange things to keep me sane. :rolleyes:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
He is not a machine and asking a craftsman to do such repeptive work is never a good thing. I get fed up if I have to make more than a few of my bushcraft knife at a time, so I end up making strange things to keep me sane.

I have to agree with you. It gets tedious after a while, even If you enjoy making knives, or whatever.

What sort of strange things do you make then, Dave? :cool: Do tell....

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
well, a couple of years ago and into the first half of last year (when I lost my old workshop and so was only going mad through not being able to make knives) I was making miniature tools/knives. I've always liked to make minis, normally in the region of 1 1/4" blades, but I decided to try and make proper knives even smaller :D I ended up with a bunch of knives forged from spring steel, heat treated and handled (started to sharpen them too) and the smallest was 8mm end to end!:lmao:

I also made a Felling Axe with a cleft ash handle, oak wedge and adrifted tool steel head. the head was the size of a 20p coin. Oh and the rip saw (based on a diston philly I have) that was less than 3" in length and had 32 tpi all hand cut and set.

This year I'm mostly making bondage gear. The latest procrastination project is a scolds bridle :Wow:

well, you did ask ;)

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I want to second Wayland's comments -- go to an individual craftsman and have them do you up a woodlore clone if that's what you want.

I promise you that you'll get tip top quality at a fraction of the price St. Ray would charge for it.

Plus you'll be helping keep craftspeople and artisans alive when you do this. That is a very important thing to me -- where I spend my dollars matters to me and I choose to spend them with individual craftspeople and artisans whenever possible.

Sometimes -- not always, but sometimes -- a craftsperson's object might cost a little more than a manufactured item but will nearly always be better quality. And the price difference is usually small compared to the quality.

Go with a maker from here or from British Blades (or Bladeforums if you're in the US) and never look back. You'll be happy you did.

My 2 cents....or shillings :)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Oh,yeah,Ive had an almost exact woodlore clone made for me.
Waiting list:2 weeks.
Cost:£50.
Made by a very skilled and experienced maker.
Id put it up against a woody anytime...
You are after all paying for the name.
BTW how much does the woodlore cost?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
sorry don't want to drag off topic :eek:

so briefly...

minigroupsm.jpg

sawla.jpg

miniaxe3.jpg

ok, back on topic.

You could always try something different to a woodlore clone?! There are many other knives out there that do the job at least as well and that way you will be able to get something unique in more ways than just personal interpretation of a clone ;)

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Nice minis there, they sure look real.
launditch1 said:
Oh,yeah,Ive had an almost exact woodlore clone made for me.
Waiting list:2 weeks.
Cost:£50.
Made by a very skilled and experienced maker.
Id put it up against a woody anytime...
You are after all paying for the name.
BTW how much does the woodlore cost?
Wow 2 weeks and only 50 pounds?!?! A real woodlore takes 10 years and it's 270 pounds!
maynman said:
I ve met alan wood ...bloody nice chap....and own one of his knives and they are well worth waiting for , after all you are buying sheer quility, not just a name.
Well it seems like he does good work but if you can get an exact clone of a woodlore knife made by another good smith (or whatever they are) for alot less then the name must have something to do with it. Plus ten years is a heck of a long time to wait, even for a really really good knife.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Dont get me wrong,i am in no way disrespecting the man or the people who own or want a woodlore:cool: ..just think,there are alternatives out there that are,dare i say it,just as good.If i spent over £270 on a knife i wouldnt dare use it!!...my wife may skin me with it if i did:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE