Long overdue meet up/skill share!!!! 4th-6th October

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Hi Stuart I should be down Friday afternoon sometime . I'll should have one of the kids with me
and a couple of sacks of firewood .
Will I bring anything for the communal pots , like vegetables or meat ?

Craig. ....

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'll bring you chaga :)
I'm still on for the weekend :cool:

Tam, mind thon big pot of mine that got it's lid broken ? where did the pot end up ? I've a lid that will fit it from one of the stockpots I use for dye, that has never been needed on the dyepot, that would do fine.

cheers,
Mary

Jeez,i've nae idea Mary, me and pots don't seem to last long together.

Davedon

Apr 24, 2012
Selkirk
I'm still comming, got a car load of fire wood but unfortunately I have gig in Dumfries on the Saturday night. I have a spare hammock and under blanket for anyone wanting to give it a try.

Cheers
Dave

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

Jul 27, 2013
Galashiels
Hi Guys,

I will arrive approx 8pm fri and will stay with my one-man bivvy & tarp thru the weekend, tagging with member DaveDon but I won't be abandoning you for a gig on the Saturday!

I'm used to wild camping but new to Bushcraft and the forum, so this will be first meet.

looking forward to meeting you all!

Adam.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I will be heading down with Tam ,Looking forward to it.
1 - Stuart F.
2 - Bob.
3 - Greensurfingbear - Orric.
4 - Windy & Tricia.
5 - Graham S (Possible).
6 - Barn Owl.
7 - Goatboy. (Coming down with Bob).
8 - Miyagi (and his Collie - Treacle)
9 - Toddy
10 - warthog1981 + Lorna
11 - Davedon
12 - gsfgaz
13 - Chiseller and Sue confirmed , possibly with Chiseller III
14 - Craigm9
15 - Eric-Methven and (possibly)Cameron
16 - Seabass
17 - d-day66
18 - Allybally
19 - Coln18
20 - toilet digger
21- JAG009
22 - THOaken
23- Canoedude.
24- JohnC(Friday)
25- Gill.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No worries Tam, I just thought it could be handy.

I'm still planning to come, but I've pulled muscles in my back (right along my ribs at the diaphragm :( ) and todays all day firelighting in Edinburgh and the hours driving there and back, hasn't helped it any :sigh: I've got mega pain killers and rub in stuff from the Doctor, so it should be fine by Friday :D

cheers,
M

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Have just spied this thread, I rsvp'd on Facebook but me and Cutchy should be down sometime on Friday :) lookin forward to it :)

1 - Stuart F.
2 - Bob.
3 - Greensurfingbear - Orric.
4 - Windy & Tricia.
5 - Graham S (Possible).
6 - Barn Owl.
7 - Goatboy. (Coming down with Bob).
8 - Miyagi (and his Collie - Treacle)
9 - Toddy
10 - warthog1981 + Lorna
11 - Davedon
12 - gsfgaz
13 - Chiseller and Sue confirmed , possibly with Chiseller III
14 - Craigm9
15 - Eric-Methven and (possibly)Cameron
16 - Seabass
17 - d-day66
18 - Allybally
19 - Coln18
20 - toilet digger
21- JAG009
22 - THOaken
23- Canoedude.
24- JohnC(Friday)
25- Gill.
26- Jinsin
27- Cutchy [/FONT]

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
A few questions.

Will there be a place to buy things for those who are selling Bushcraft related items?
I'm hoping to start learning the traditional flint and steel soon and would like a proper set from a reliable source.

How far is the campsite/meeting area from the carpark?
I'm going to bring more carry than I usually do.

Will food be provided?
I can bring my own food, it's no problem, but just wondering.

These questions and more have probably already been answered in the thread, but it's five pages long.

Thanks

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A few questions.

Will there be a place to buy things for those who are selling Bushcraft related items?
I'm hoping to start learning the traditional flint and steel soon and would like a proper set from a reliable source.

How far is the campsite/meeting area from the carpark?
I'm going to bring more carry than I usually do.

Will food be provided?
I can bring my own food, it's no problem, but just wondering.

These questions and more have probably already been answered in the thread, but it's five pages long.

Thanks

Bring your own food. A few communal pots get thrown together saturday night but best to bring enough food for yourself. Don't forget there isn't a water source so you'll need to think about that too. If we camping where we did last time there isn't much of a walk from car park. I'm hoping to tent it rather than hammock as I've not used my tent for a while. Last time however I just slept in hut that's there.

Don't think people sell stuff on a formal basis like market stalls, there was a swap table last time and folk put stuff out and bartered amongst themselves.

Orric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We usually do a barter table with the kind of idea that, "It's nae loss what a freen' gets", and y'know? it doesn't matter how much stuff I take along to clear out, I always go home with something else that's brilliant/interesting/just what I was looking for :D
There is also the individual's 'blanket' of set out stuff for sale; usually good kit that's their budget could do with getting a bit of return from....and for the rest of us there's no feeling greedy about buying instead of taking stuff, iimmc :D

Food wise, we bring our own, but if one eats we should all be able to eat, and we all bring far too much, and the communal meal cooking is a brilliant idea for at least the main meal of the day.
Best advice is that if you know your diet is likely to be different is bring enough specifically for yourself. Otherwise .....well I mind one meet where at the end I had 12 stew packs left to disperse amongst the company, and there must have been 3dz eggs and bacon too. Staples are always good, and you can take them home if they're not used.
For those coming by public transport, don't fret and end up lugging loads, I know you all want to bring stuff to share, but think about the weight and bring just enough. No water on site, so you need to bring that with you. If you have the car handy, then I find a pack of 2lt bottles more useful than one of the huge square waters from the supermarket.

The camping area is 100m or so from what Stuart said earlier, so it's not a burden to carry stuff.

If no one's got a spare flint and steel to barter/sell then contact John Fenna and buy one of his Welsh bushcrafter Dragon's breath kits :) or EverythingMac, WhittlerKev or Dave Budd for a steel. There are a lot of really good and highly thought of Makers on the forum, but I have steels from those four so I can personally recommend those people, it's not a snub to anyone else that I do so.
There should be a good selection down at Wooplaw and folks will let you try them :D

cheers,
M

Last edited:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, please accept my appologies for not getting back sooner, i am working shifts so i am not getting much computer time at the mo.

Ok, first off, thanks to Mary and Orric for answering some questions.
So, the site i have chosen for the communal area, where the chute is going, is in the same wood as the log cabin. My reason for this, is that its a bit of a hump to get your kit into the Easter park site, so i chose the same wood as the cabin,plus it is about 100 yrds from the road, so it will be just a case of park you car at the road side, empty it, then park it in the normal car park.

Regarding the fire pit for the communal area, you won't need to bring one, as i have had an idea, i have a large piece of corrugated iron, which i will raise off the ground, so we can have a long log fire to keep warm by, also it'll keep in with the leave no trace ethic.

For the communal meal, could folks just bring some meat or veg, that would suit a stew of some sorts. But bring enough food for yourself for the weekend. Just treat it like your normal camp out senario.

As for the log cabin, i,m affraid someone else has booked it for the weekend, so we cant use it, but i have a couple of extra large tarps, that we can use, for the barter/trade stand, all we need do is put down a ground sheet for the kit.

I will be on site from Thursday afternoon, so you won't need to worry about finding us, Wooplaw is'nt that big you will get lost!

Great to see there will be a good turn out, if everyone can make it.

Cheers Stuart.

For Ally, yes bring toilet roll. Seriously though, there are composting toilets on site, so you won't need to dig a hole lol.

Last edited:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Ooops forgot to add, i am fairly sorted with the communal set up. I have been collecting stuff from car boot sales and the like, so i have got a large kettle which will be ticking over all the time, for tea and coffee's. Also i have got a large tripod cut which we can suspend cooking pots over the fire, i just need to cut some pot hangers when i,m there.

As for light, does anyone have a tilley lamp we could use, for the chute at night? if not then i'm sure the long log fire will throw out a good bit of light, i have my van full of some nice long logs, which should do a treat.

Cheers Stuart.

PS Is any one bringing a few wee dry cooking sherries!!!!!!!!!!!! to wash down the evening meal perhaps :beerchug:

Oh heres the weekend in smilie pics. :drive: :campfire: :grouphug: :camping: :beerchug: :beerchug: :dancer: :beerchug: :rofl: :beerchug: :soapbox: :beerchug: :1244: :beerchug: :stretcher: :hammock: :coffee: :grouphug: :sadwavey: :drive: then on Monday, on here :ban:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE