Long overdue meet up/skill share!!!! 4th-6th October

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We could just make it when there.....I have been saving wee tins for the job :)

I don't believe you pay for charcloth, it's fun to make :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, those'd be good. Can you wash them hot with no soap liquid and definitely no fabric conditioner first though ?
It just clears them out to plain cotton, and that makes excellent charcloth.
One pair of jeans will make enough charcloth to keep everyone happy for.....oh ever such a long while :D

We can do it on the campfire, but Himself usually just uses a blowtorch to make mine.
I'll bring along the blowtorch and a spare canister of gas for it. That way folks can see both ways of making it.

cheers,
M

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Anything better than denim Mary.....I'm sure I can source a plentiful amount of anything.....linen etc, ;)

eggs shouldn't dance with stones.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Old well washed linen is brilliant, but it's the washing out of the fabric conditioners that folks use nowadays that's a pain.
Old denims, old cotton teatowels, old tshirts even; they all make really good charcloth.
I'll bring along some fomes and we can try charring that too.

Is anyone up for doing a burn to make birch tar ? I've got the tins and I have a couple of carrier bags full of not much use for anything else birchbark.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself's been foraging great style this summer (it's the free bus pass, and that he can get the bus all the way up to the Grampians and beyond. They even feed him coffee, sandwiches and shortbread, on the bus both ways.) He's been rummaging all over Scotland and he never comes home with an empty rucksac. I've got a tray load of sodden wet chagga too; shall I bring it along as well ?
My wrists are aching too much just now to break out the fomes, but if someone's up for it we could boil it up to make suede?

Hear ? mind I said about putting the deer bones into the compost bin for the worms to strip them clean ? I opened up the bin this morning and a lump of worms about the size of a bag of sugar dropped off the lid :rolleyes: and the bones were invisible under a writhing knot of worms. I reckon if you really want to deflesh a body, put it into the compost bin :yikes:

I'll see if I can get a photo :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Worms :D later on in the day. Imagine that absolutely covered in them and that's what I saw when I opened it up this morning.

9838365923_983ae986c2_c.jpg

cheers,
M

Last edited:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, its all sounding good, am really looking forward to the meet.

Mary, regarding the birch tar, it would,nt take much time to put it together, i have done it a few times, so if you would like to bring the bark then it should,nt be much hassle.

I myself will be doing a talk on hunting and fishing implements,and probably a plant walk.
CraigM9 said he will do a talk on Survival strategies.

Also i will have a white board near the communal chute, for times, my reason for this, is so that if people who wish to have a set time for their demo/share,can, and all they need to do is pop it on the board for others to see. This is not regemental,and is entirely up to the individual, whether the want to use it.
Now my reason for this, is from a personal point of view, my thinking is that if i put a time up for all to see, they can come see( if they so wish) the talk, and i can then take down my display, and then go and watch what others are doing, instead of being tied to my area. I hope that makes some sense. After all i'm still learning too.

Cheers for now.
Stuart.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Is there anyone going from the Dundee area that I could share a lift with?
Obviously I'll split fuel costs etc,
I thought I'd ask before I go and hire a car.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, well only a week to go. I thought a little update might be in order. First off is everyone still able to attend?

Also are we fancying a communal meal? if we are,and judging by the numbers, going by the list, we may well need another couple of large pots for cooking it, so does anyone else have a large pot we could use!

Is there any other questions or things you feel, need to be discussed?

Please let me know what you think.
Cheers Stuart.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Well Im still planing on coming and bringing GB down too.
Not sure on the communal meal, but will bring my dutchie with me that you can use.
If you need it.
Bob
Hi folks, well only a week to go. I thought a little update might be in order. First off is everyone still able to attend?

Also are we fancying a communal meal? if we are,and judging by the numbers, going by the list, we may well need another couple of large pots for cooking it, so does anyone else have a large pot we could use!

Is there any other questions or things you feel, need to be discussed?

Please let me know what you think.
Cheers Stuart.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Still on board :thumbup: I've a Big deep heavy ally stew pot.... ?

Could anyone fetch me some chaga please? I could trade something like a wool blanket / mess tins why or make a donation etc
Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll bring you chaga :)
I'm still on for the weekend :cool:

Tam, mind thon big pot of mine that got it's lid broken ? where did the pot end up ? I've a lid that will fit it from one of the stockpots I use for dye, that has never been needed on the dyepot, that would do fine.

cheers,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE