Lol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Gave up on bloody hammocks as they are simply not designed for my build (felt like I had been squashed in a vice in the morning). If you want to hammock in the winter you are also going to need to consider insulation which throws the packing factor and weight arguement straight out the window. I gave it a fair shot as well before finally admitting defeat and going back to ground in my lovely new Shangri La :D. I do miss the sense of soaking up everything around you that hammock camping offers but do not miss the sleep depravation :rolleyes:

Nowt wrong with tents ask any native american indian where I believe they call them Tipi's and know a thing or two about livin' outdoors :p

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
My tarp (a Decathalon) used without the poles but with guys weighs 650g. No need for trees- two walking poles make a traditional tent shape, but dozens of other ways of putting it up are known.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
You also need trees for a hammock (or at least large boulders).

Bit of a b*gger if you're wanting to spend a night in the high fells...

1big.jpg

Tarp and bivvy would work, but by that time you might as well take a small tent :)

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
Vango - Helium 100.
Great for a shorter stature person (like me!) who is not worried about too much headroom...I am 5' 6" tall and cannot sit up in it too easily and have little clearance between my face and the sloping innertent when lying down.
All in one or fly first pitching VERY small porch area for kit storage. Small but it does the job!

Thanks, I looked it up. Looks like a tent I might buy! That's really lightweight. What a specs!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Talking of tents,

I've got a Lightwave Trek T1, not the lightest of tents (2.4kg) but 2 man with 5000mm HH, alloy poles and a siliconed fly.

Will be using it at the Midlands Meet hopefully. Don't fancy using the Argos tipi yet, just in case it rains !!

If you are not worried about weight have a look at the Kyham range, had one for years and real easy to erect.

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
Too many times as an Infantry soldier have I spent many a night under a basha sleeping in my sleeping bag thinking about how a tent would be pure heaven, however if you get bumped a basha is far easier to throw in your bergen!

So on bushcraft outings I adore my tent, if it rains you can stick your gear in the porch and relax in the sleeping area. Pure heaven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE