Lol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
A group of us have just been talking about camping and one of the guys said he had just bought a tent, to which another guy said "what for" ? durrrrrrrrr. Made me laugh for the last 5 minutes so i though i'd share it.:approve:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Shouldn't you have been laughing at the person who bought the tent?
Come on, we are hardened, experienced survivalists (sorry, I mean 'bushcrafters') on this site! Tents!? We laugh at tents!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Don't laugh at the canvass dwelling bushcrafters, i'm one and proud of it, after all Mr Mears has been known to use a tent, a Baker tent if i remember rightly ??!! :D I'm not that hardened.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Nothing wrong with tents at all. They give you alot more freedom to wander off without being restricted to staying near suitable tarp/hammock trees.
And they provide that all-important privacy at busy meets.

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
There are plenty of tents that can comfortably be backpacked!

Alternatively just canoe camp..................ah, the luxury :)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I was, of course, using irony. For those who don't understand irony, it's a bit like bronzey and leady, but sharper and harder.
Don't tell anyone this, but sometimes (if the weather looks like being a bit chilly) I use a t**t as well.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd happily backpack my tent, it's a hex 3 and weighs less than a kilo, if I don't take the pole and tie it up instead.

What he said :)

To be honest, I do prefer a tent, I've tried hammocks, but they are just not for me :(

With a tent you can pitch anywhere, don't need trees for support, they keep off the rain while at the same time, give you the room to sit up in, talk to a companion (companions depending on the size of the tent), cook (with care), read your book, dry your clothes etc and are just more sociable than a hammock.

Like Spamel, I use a Hex 3, so, question, what is the weight of a tarp, hammock and lines?

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
A group of us have just been talking about camping and one of the guys said he had just bought a tent, to which another guy said "what for" ? durrrrrrrrr. Made me laugh for the last 5 minutes so i though i'd share it.:approve:

Hahahaha, that's brilliant ;).

A tent? What for? Hahahaha, like he doesn't know what it's for, lol.

I guess the funny thing was that the guy asking was a sort of meaning it when he asked it?

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Nothing wrong with tents at all. They give you alot more freedom to wander off without being restricted to staying near suitable tarp/hammock trees.

Got any examples mate? :lmao:

I was, of course, using irony. For those who don't understand irony, it's a bit like bronzey and leady, but sharper and harder.

I don't think I'd like using a tent if it was made of metal .. I tend to stick to the fabricy ones, much lighter and easier to put up.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My current tent weighs only 1kg including inner, fly sheet, poles pegs guys etc - lighter than my bivvi bag, lighter than my hammock, lighter than my tarp! It gives more privacy, more insect protection and more insulation than any of the others. It also stands up to gales... even where there are no trees.
It does however restrict my "at oneness with nature" and is not a bushcraft fashion statement.
I love tarps and hammocks and have been known to use them:D
When I want to go seriosly light weight - I take my tent....
When I want to be sociable with fellow bushies - tarp bivvibag or hammock...

Lush

Forager
Apr 22, 2007
Netherlands
My current tent weighs only 1kg including inner, fly sheet, poles pegs guys etc - lighter than my bivvi bag, lighter than my hammock, lighter than my tarp! It gives more privacy, more insect protection and more insulation than any of the others. It also stands up to gales... even where there are no trees.
It does however restrict my "at oneness with nature" and is not a bushcraft fashion statement.
I love tarps and hammocks and have been known to use them:D
When I want to go seriosly light weight - I take my tent....
When I want to be sociable with fellow bushies - tarp bivvibag or hammock...

John, what kind of tent do you use?

I like sleeping under a tarp a lot, but for saving weight it sounds perfect.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John, what kind of tent do you use?

I like sleeping under a tarp a lot, but for saving weight it sounds perfect.

Vango - Helium 100.
Great for a shorter stature person (like me!) who is not worried about too much headroom...I am 5' 6" tall and cannot sit up in it too easily and have little clearance between my face and the sloping innertent when lying down.
All in one or fly first pitching VERY small porch area for kit storage. Small but it does the job!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
John, how is the tent with condensation ? With my knee problems I'd have difficulty getting in the bugger, but I look forward to seeing it at the moot?

Richard

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nah - me and the tent will be on exped in Africa while the Moot is on!
For most bushy meets I would take tarp and/or hammock anyway.
Condensation has nor been a problem - so far!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE