Logs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I reckon this is the most apt forum for this question but if a mod decides other wise, please feel free to move it :D

I'm looking for 10 logs about 8' long and about a foot across at one end. Birch with the bark on would be preferable but I knopw this is going to be a difficult enough thing to find anyway so beggars can't be choosers :D I'm in the Bournemouth area so they would need to be within relatively easy pick up distance.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears :D

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
:confused: Depends what you're after MBM...
I don't have any Birch but I do some Ash you can have - as long as you don't mind cutting them out of the tree !
It was felled last year so it's necely seasoned - if that's what you're after

Let me know

Cheers

Mark

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Jon.

Have a word with your local tree surgeon, you will be surprised by how much he can help you!

Or rethinking.......your local Forestry Commission a call as they are felling thousands of tons on Wareham forest!

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm not sure you want birch then buddy...although the bark last years and years the wood itself has a nasty habbit of rotting away fast inside. And a lot of the stuff Tree Surgeons get to is standing dead birch that's well on it's way to rotting...hence we're called in to drop it safely before it falls.

I'll keep my eyes open but I'd say to think of maybe another type of wood to use...

Hope that helps a bit Mate,

Bam. :D

bambodoggy said:
I'm not sure you want birch then buddy...although the bark last years and years the wood itself has a nasty habbit of rotting away fast inside. And a lot of the stuff Tree Surgeons get to is standing dead birch that's well on it's way to rotting...hence we're called in to drop it safely before it falls.

I'll keep my eyes open but I'd say to think of maybe another type of wood to use...

Hope that helps a bit Mate,

We're coming to that conclusion Bambodoggy so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, we're now thinking maybe Beech as the person it's for isn't greatly fond of Oak

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Motorbike Man said:
We're coming to that conclusion Bambodoggy so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated, we're now thinking maybe Beech as the person it's for isn't greatly fond of Oak

Sounds better mate, as I say I'll keep my eyes open for you :) Pity they don't like oak as it's easier to get than beech but either way if I drop anything big then I'll give you a shout :)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Wish you had asked this about 10 days ago, we have been enlarging one of the lakes where i fish and we must have given away over 30 tons of Birch of all shapes and sizes for free ( i have some in my wood pile now seasoning), the stuff we couldn't get taken away got thrown on the fire, i was up there tonight and there are three birch logs left but none meet your desc, all too small, we also have entire oak that just needs cutting up, it's a shame you are so far away otherwise i would say come and help yourself :( :( :(

maver said:
Wish you had asked this about 10 days ago, we have been enlarging one of the lakes where i fish and we must have given away over 30 tons of Birch of all shapes and sizes for free ( i have some in my wood pile now seasoning), the stuff we couldn't get taken away got thrown on the fire, i was up there tonight and there are three birch logs left but none meet your desc, all too small, we also have entire oak that just needs cutting up, it's a shame you are so far away otherwise i would say come and help yourself :( :( :(
That's a bugger Maver :rolleyes: sounds like you've been having fun though

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
shame your not here in guernsey the property next to the one i work had a nice big sweet chestnut drop yesturday and i have a nice ash about the size you need to fell soon :(

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
Sweet Chestnut would be ideal if you can get it in your area.

We have a lot of S. Chestnut coppice here in Kent that provides long straight timber upto the sort of diameter you are after, and it is a durable timber used outside and untreated. It is sometimes referred to as poor mans oak.

My local countryside project created a woodhenge using chestnut in a country park some years ago, the idea was for it to be a BBQ area they put in benches and a fixed vandal proof BBQ. If I get the chance to go and have a look at it I will take a picture and post it.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
MM, i've just gotten a load of ex hop-poles from a local farm (ok, it's in Herefordshire), but you might try some hop farms around your area. they are about 15' long, tappering from 12" at the base to 4" at the tip.
Hope this helps.

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
baggins said:
MM, i've just gotten a load of ex hop-poles from a local farm (ok, it's in Herefordshire), but you might try some hop farms around your area. they are about 15' long, tappering from 12" at the base to 4" at the tip.
Hope this helps.

Great idea if you can get em

Hop poles are quite often made from chestnut ,it is one of the reasons why we have so much chestnut coppice in Kent. It was planted to provide hop poles for the prestigous brewing industry we have here.

Shepheard Neame is one of Britains oldest brewers and is still family run
Another pint of Spitfire barman :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE