Llangollen group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Hi All

This thread takes up from the 'Next Delamere' thread in which the idea of a meet in a wood near Llangollen was suggested by me. Also suggested was the use of the meet as an opportunity for people to see the wood in the flesh and to discuss forming some kind of 'membership of users' which would allow members access whenever they wish. This plan has the owner's blessing. He's called 'Dave the Wood' by the way.

I did mention posting photographs but they aren't that brilliant at describing the wood and though I will attempt to upload them after this post I will describe the wood a little more here. For those who don't want to read through all of this then please feel free to express your interest in attending a meet.

The Meet Dates
How about -

1. 27th, 28th and 29th of June
2. 18th, 19th and 20th of July.
3. 22nd, 23rd and 24th of August.

If you can do the first date then please select it but if it's just not possible then choose the second date and if that's not possible either then the third and if all those are impossible then PM me. If you can do 2 or more of them then please say so. That way we might be able to get this down to just one or two introductory meets. Bear in mind, if you decide to become a user member then you can access regular meets throughout the year.

The Meet Price
£5 per night per adult.
£2.50 per night for 13 to 17 year olds
Free for kids
Pets allowed but they have to be well behaved, polite and courteous! A knowledge of English would also help.

About The Wood

Flora and Fauna
It is 18 acres of mixed woodland that has a variety of ancient woodland indicators though it was pretty much clear cut not so long ago. Currently there is a mix of pine, fir, ash, lime, goat willow, hazel, birch, sycamore, horse chestnut, a few oaks on the perimeters, and elder amongst others.

Apart from trees there is lots of wild garlic, nettle, bramble, wood sorrell, lots of pretty flowers I don't know the names of (purple orchid amongst them), fern and the such like.

Critters include grey squirrels, mice (there's a camp mouse called Jack who came right up to my feet last time I was there - a 10 day trip so maybe he could smell cheese), hares, rabbits, robins, woodpeckers, owls, stoat/weasel or something like that, buzzards, blackbirds, pheasant etc. Insects of course but wonderfully midgie free - almost. I don't recall being bitten during my recent 10 days.

Camps
There are 3 camps north, middle and south. Our prime one is south but you can set up pretty much wherever you wish though we want to keep it mostly to the south. Middle camp is the owners area but it is possible to set up near by and use the water tap and other facilities. North camp is run by Polecat Paul from this forum as a bushcraft training facility on behalf or the local council - I think.

Water & Hygiene
There are various springs in the wood which take the form of pools feeding streams. There are two next to south camp - one we use for drinking water - though we still boil just in case, and the other which could do with clearing and developing - perhaps for washing.

Dave the Wood has dug and constructed a latrine near middle camp (about 3 mins walk from south camp) and there's even a bath. Seriously, a metal bath with a fireplace underneath. I haven't used it yet as it seems like too much faff but I'd like to give it a go one day. As an alternative we could set up a bush shower facility near south camp and also dig our own latrine - possibly even a compost loo if anyone fancies a go at constructing one with me. Dave the Wood has got a vegetable garden going to the north so he could use the compost.

Access
To reach the area roads are good and a guesstimate of times by car would be an hour to an hour and a half from Manchester, Birmingham, Hereford, Maccynlleth, Bangor or Liverpool.

There is a train station called Ruabon a couple of miles from the wood and it is well served from Chester via Wrexham and Birmingham and Shrewsbury. I think trains are roughly hourly.

Once in the area there are two main approaches though a variety of other combinations exist depending on what kind of scenery you fancy.

One is walking in from the south about a mile along a beautiful track though it can be boggy. The other is driving or walking in from a farm to the north west. Driving isn't recommended if you have a nice car as the track is a bit bumpy and the bullocks are inquisitive but you can drive to the edge of the wood, unload your kit and then drive back to the farm to park and walk the mile back. As it's down hill it's easy and you get a tremendous view from north east to south east, seeing for miles into England.

Surrounding Area
There are lots of beautiful walks all around the wood and there is easy access to Panorama overlooking the stunning Vale of Llangollen. You can also easily explore Ruabon mountain which is mostly moorland with some ancient sites up there like a stone circle and some tumuli. The wonderful Dinas Bran is close by too. This is the ruin of a castle on top of a very pronounced hill perched above Llangollen.

Llangollen is about 3 to 4 miles away and is a real beauty of a town. The river Dee runs through it and is popular with white water canoeists. There's some great pubs in town that frequently have live music on. There's a music festival every year and also the internationally famous Eisteddfod.

South of the wood is a village with a couple of pubs and a general store no more than a mile away and if you want a supermarket there is a Somerfield which I walked to in about 30 mins - a great walk too. Obviously yu can drive to as well.

Right, if I haven't sold it to you now then i never will so if you're interested, or know anyone who might be, then sign up for a viewing. Though I don't expect hundreds I am setting a limit of about 12 per meet as it will just make life easier for all.

Cheers.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Just spoken with her and the kids are away with their Grandma from 17th July leaving us free for the 18th, 19th and 20th of July.

She says if the weather is good she may try a hammock :D

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
Sounds great, hope everything goes well for you guys. Wouldn't mind tagging along some time in the future, too. :)
Will

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Just spoken with her and the kids are away with their Grandma from 17th July leaving us free for the 18th, 19th and 20th of July.

She says if the weather is good she may try a hammock :D

Good stuff Matt - look forward to seeing you and Nat again.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Im in for the 18, 19, and maybe even 20th July.
Cheers.

I've put the Sunday date as the last day though if people want to stay overnight they can. I'm sure if people wanted more time I could get down there on the Thursday before too.

By the way I forgot to mention price - it's £25 a night

Nah, just kidding, it's £5 a night.

I'll edit the original accordingly.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
Will I bring yon pan of lobby?

I guessed what you meant but had to look it up all the same. Definitely a Lancashire term.

If you do Matt then I'll not throw a tin of baked beans in this time - that was Pete's doing anyway.

Maybe if everyone likes lobby we could have a lobby feast.

Note to reader - We're talking about corned beef hash. Matt's being colloquial.

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
Hiya Lightfoot,
Difficult for me to plan any trips out this year, my little jaunts will always be at short notice. But next year, I'm hoping I get chance to meet up with some of you fellas. Won't be bringing the missus though, I promise. :)

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
I forgot to mention that the owner is keen on the idea of constructing a traditional roundhouse so if others were interested then that could be a project for us to work on and provide us with our own 'club house' perhaps.

lightfoot

Forager
Jul 5, 2006
Chester
SouthCamp1.jpg

South Camp

SouthCamp2.jpg

South camp another angle

SouthCamp3.jpg

Isn't life hard eh!

MiddleCampBath.jpg

The bush bath

MiddleCampLoo.jpg

The bush loo

DASteamer2.jpg

Dave the Wood Pole steaming for a yurt

CampGuardian.jpg

The camp Guardian with goose feathers for fletchings and dried nettle skin for making into string

SouthCampSpring.jpg

South Camp Drinking Spring

kitstore.jpg

The kit store and temporary shelter I built last weekend

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
Bring her along and sit her with Nat, she does a great job of reassuring the '1st time to a meet' wives that everything will be OK and that they may even enjoy themselves :D

your a star please tell Nat I appreciate her volunteering ;)

it will mean using a tent but hay ho

will find out later and post

may also make july as well :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE