living outside for a year in a permanent camp what would you take

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
dutch oven, large tarp, one of those carp fishing camp chair bed things for sitting and sleeping on

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Heyho ,
If you are going to do it then you need somewhere secure for your sharps whilst you are at work . I don't know what , Small chest buried with a lift lid cover ?
Cheers , Trev .

Tenderfoot
Dec 9, 2009
england
what about a summer house, essentially a shed with big windows
something along these lines http://www.waltons.co.uk/waltons-helios-summer-houses
i know its not as bushy as you would like. but its as close to cabinish as your going to get yet still be easier to put up and take down so it not as permanent

im currently living in one at the end of my parents garden, i use there kitchen bathroom etc but i spend most of my time in it when im at home ( it does have electricity wired up though, nothing you couldn't do with a small generator)

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
guys i love the love shack idea but can we be sensible cos i am really considering doing this and if i get a job as a farm hand i will be doing it permenantly drew

I'm in a similar situation.

Speaking with a couple people who have done this, sanitation and food storage are the main concerns. Washing becomes awkward when you have to heat the water over wood first, so a solar shower or some sort of dedicated water-heater might be of some use. I expect a woodstove to also be a good investment -- more efficient and controllable than an open fire. Also makes it easier to heat your shelter. This would be especially useful in winter, and for drying washed clothes. Consider the issue of rats very carefully.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Dave,

I have a similar set up to the teepee you had but struggle managing the smoke from an open fire in the middle. There is a hole at the apex but i find it gets very smoky inside apart from three foot or so above the ground. What do you burn? Wood or charcoal? or do you have a stove with chimney? Any tips on how to improve the draught would be appreciated.

I would make myself a shelter from hazel and a large cheap tarp or two, just like these two 'sheds' I've built in my woods ;)

shed1.jpg

this is 4m long, 2.5m wide and the same high and only needed a dozen or so poles plus two tarps (one is an old knackered one) and a bit of string. It does also have a door now, this was a mid-construction photo.

shelter2la.jpg

this is about 5m diameter at the base and has a fire in the middle

I've got an army matress to sleep on and I've been out in teh round one all through the winter snug as a bug :) Sadly it has fallen apart now (it took a day to make and was a temporary job 4 years ago), so I'll be trying the bender out this year ;)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Lived a year in a Sioux tipi in the Swedish wilderness and would happily do it again. The tipi was beautiful to live in and the evenings lying by the campfire were just splendid :campfire:. Sleeping on a bag filled with hay with reindeer skins on top and a Nanok Endurance -10 plus some woolen blankets inside it was warm as toast during the "endless" Swedish winter. The synthetic sleeping bag had the great advantage over the down sleeping bags that it's easy to keep dry in a tent. Cooking on the open fire quickly became routine and didn't take a lot of time, plus was a lot of fun. Baked flat bread just on a grill about every day, tasted great... smoked bread! Speaking of food I enjoyed bacon a lot, sometimes the whole box under the sleeping platform was filled with it :cool:. But ofcourse nothing could beat the freshly caught fish from the lake, fried with a bit of salt and butter.

oktober%20350.jpg

Whatever you do, keep it simple, better to take less then you need and make some improvisations then haul an awfull lot of stuff with you in the wilderness. A good quality tipi, an engineered stone fireplace, floor of boughs, some pots, a sleeping bag, reindeer skin and enough bacon will get you a long way. Oh, and I forgot to mention the trustworthy axe. Cut cords of firewood and most importantly have that bit of extra confidence to fight the nightly demons when it sleeps by your side. ;)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
yes okay jonno but a benda doesnt seem very bushcrafty and also a log cabin is out of the question cos you need planning permission and well i dont own the woods to start with

You need planning permission regardless if you want to live there for a year

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah its nuts but there is a limit to the number of days you can overnight in even your own woodland - even sleeping under a tarp!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Just a few pictures of a shelter that is still standing after 5 years, doesn't look quite so good now after the snow of last winter.

Made from tarps and timber.

Wings

New+Shelter1.jpg

New+Shelter7.jpg

New+Shelter5.jpg

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
newfloor5.jpg

There you go, floor in, stove at the back, 12v light and a paraffin lantern on the centre post.

But it did cost over £200 to build

Wings

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
That looks great Winstoo! Here's the inside of the tipi to show just another alternative:
tipibinnen.JPG

Floor made of 6 inch wood shavings covered with boughs and then some carpets to lie on next to the fire.

PS: That's the sleeping platform for visitors, normally used as a bench, this does not show the bed used all year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE