The Great Tommy Sleep Out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Is anyone taking part, or has taken part in The Great Tommy Sleep Out? I fancy taking part with my son but the weather has been so awful and I'm also hesitant to ask people for money in the current economy,

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Not heard about that. What's it about? I'm guessing it's to raise money for homeless veterans?
Family are the best place to get sponsorship, and workmates, or the local pub mates. They can only say no. They don't have to sponsor large amounts..the cost of a pint say.
Weather has been crap! Are you allowed tents? Can you do it in your garden or a friend's garden? That way you can take lots of warm extras such as blankets and hot water bottles etc to keep warm.
I don't know how old your boy is, but it will build a memory, so worth doing on that score alone.
My stepdaughter and I used to do all sorts of mad themed camp outs, each one a memory that we still talk about 30+ years later.

Reactions: Toddy and Dan00001

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Not heard about that. What's it about? I'm guessing it's to raise money for homeless veterans?
Family are the best place to get sponsorship, and workmates, or the local pub mates. They can only say no. They don't have to sponsor large amounts..the cost of a pint say.
Weather has been crap! Are you allowed tents? Can you do it in your garden or a friend's garden? That way you can take lots of warm extras such as blankets and hot water bottles etc to keep warm.
I don't know how old your boy is, but it will build a memory, so worth doing on that score alone.
My stepdaughter and I used to do all sorts of mad themed camp outs, each one a memory that we still talk about 30+ years later.
Yes, it's to raise money for veterans. You can literally camp out anywhere and in whatever you want any time during March. You sign up with RBLI, get sponsors and you get a free beanie hat.

I own a small piece of woodland, and there are plenty of mountains and woods in Wales, so finding a place to camp is not an issue. I guess the main issue is, I don't have that many friends to ask for sponsors :lmao:

I do have family I can also ask, I don't suppose it really matters how much money I can raise.

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Every little bit counts..even a tenner! I'm sure family will help and don't feel shy of asking strangers. You'd be surprised. Many will say no, but some will say yes. A cheery smile, and a short explanation of the aim before asking for sponsorship works wonders. Obviously I don't know your circumstances, but think where you might meet people, school gate, work, even outside local shop or post office. Our post office will take sponser forms and put them on the counter for people to sign. We've recently done a petition to save our bus that way. It is a small community p.o, so easy to do.
Local Facebook event groups. Local paper might do a bit on you to help with publicity and sponsors.
Lad can get sponsors from Teachers at school(assuming he's of that sort of age)
Depends how private you want to be about it. But the more publicity, the more you'll raise the profile of the charity and money for it.
Go for it. Best of luck mate.
Maybe even some here might like to sponsor you.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Stop being soft and get in the woods :). I'll give you a fiver. x
Thank you, very kind.

I decided not to bother this years as literally, I think it's rained every single day in Wales for months now :lmao:

Sorry for such a late update, I have small garden centre/nursery and have been busy getting set up for the season.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
Is anyone taking part, or has taken part in The Great Tommy Sleep Out? I fancy taking part with my son but the weather has been so awful and I'm also hesitant to ask people for money in the current economy,
I've done it for several years now but didn't this year purely because I just can't ask friends and family for money.

Reactions: Dan00001

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Thank you, very kind.

I decided not to bother this years as literally, I think it's rained every single day in Wales for months now :lmao:

Sorry for such a late update, I have small garden centre/nursery and have been busy getting set up for the season.
that sounds gud, dan. x

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Guy at work did it. Does it every year. I'm new but it's heavily publicised here got put into weekly comms since January publicising his justgiving page. About 12000 people work here so he's probably going to raise a few hundred quid.

Unfortunately the big company charity is a challenge walk in May that gets about 3000 people involved. I think that such up a lot of local charity support at the expense of others. Mind you if you enter a team you get to nominate a charity. I think a few forces charities get support from that.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I will still be taking Henry camping this year, and I will look to do the Great Tommy Sleep Out next year. Hopefully we get some better weather soon because it's been horrendous.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I’m currently (only in the garden) on it. Madam doesn’t like the bed I made her from her favourite jumper however. As a result I am pinned face down.

033EB581-60A3-42E8-AFC9-39EDDB830A8F.jpeg

The rule is “The cat is in me so I can’t move”.

I think the other one is in my Bergen.

0630 and I was given a free face wash and biscuits are being made. The boy cat went to beg for food.

B6AE9A04-66D4-4B29-91E3-48A656BCE1A8.jpeg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE