Lingo Differnces

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's what I thought. Not the same as shortcake here at all. So it seems that even our explanations will be confusing cause the explanations themselves have different meanings. LOL.

Hi Santaman, so what is the shortbread there like, any recipies/pictures?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Santaman, so what is the shortbread there like, any recipies/pictures?

I have no idea about short"bread" but I suspect it's similar to what Mary posted. Here are some recipes (and hopefully som pix) for short"cake" over here: www.foodnetwork.com/recipe-collections/strawberry-shortcake They're not exactly like the shortcakes we buy though. Those come in a package of about 6-10 and are just a plain, sweet cake (sized as a cupcake as I said earlier) that you spoon the syruppy fruit over.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Buns, Baps and puppies have also taken on new meanings the last few years here in the UK. Example, ten years ago if a woman put her puppies on show it would mean a dog show like Crufts, now is more to do with a beach in Spain!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Buns, Baps and puppies have also taken on new meanings the last few years here in the UK. Example, ten years ago if a woman put her puppies on show it would mean a dog show like Crufts, now is more to do with a beach in Spain!

LOL. Let those puppies breath!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like the Australian influence, 'till Les Hiddins came along Tucker was a loveable young rogue from London, now it's "Beer Cherries" and wriggly grubs. Terrible

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Enter someone like me, with English as my second language. And having worked overseas for a number of years with English of all variations, Welch, Scots, Irish, Aussies, Kiwis, American - both Yanks and Rebels, Canadians, South Africans...and picked up some language bits and dialect expressions from them all. All spoken with a Scandi accent...lol It's a miracle that people understand what I say in the vids. But not being a native speaker, perhaps my vocabulary is not as large as a native English speakers is.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
A raik aroon' a midden, a raik through the shops, a raik doon the burn.....a raik up the hill's hard work though.

My accent is 'polite' Lanarkshire, similar to Graham S who's from Lanark :) My sons and Graham sound incredibly alike on the phone. It's really just the older Lanarkshire accent I think, not the East Kilbride/New Towns and sprawling new housing schemes of the 60's and 70's.
My Grandparents came from West Lothian and Clackmannanshire though. When Granny flyted (that's speaking sharply, not moved house :) ) her accent came back and she sang/lilted :)

The mix of accents at a big Scottish meet is fun :D

The English ones wander along; all those marvellously stretched vowels :cool: and the Welsh ones I could listen to all day, especially the children.
Stuart's wife has a beautiful voice: it's African with beautiful crisp English diction.

There are as many variations in Ireland too though; some from around Portrush do sound very Scottish, but so does one from Waterford. I suppose ours seem familiar to the people there too.

Weans, bairns.....kids were baby goats when I was growing up.
Weans was from weaning, meaning that the children were no longer being fed by Mum or only at bedtime.
Bairn meant a pre pubertal child of either sex. Used to matter more because they were under the age of majority and were not legally bound in some matters.
The names are just used for children now.

M

what about us northumbrians and geordies toddy ? lol.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your accents are brilliant :D I sit there totally bamboozled and then it's as though the ear catches up and it just all flows and makes sense. It helps that many of the Northern English words are the same as ours though.

The British Isles are full of such huge diversity in such a small area; it's a great richness :approve:

cheers,
M

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Enter someone like me, with English as my second language. And having worked overseas for a number of years with English of all variations, Welch, Scots, Irish, Aussies, Kiwis, American - both Yanks and Rebels, Canadians, South Africans...and picked up some language bits and dialect expressions from them all. All spoken with a Scandi accent...lol It's a miracle that people understand what I say in the vids. But not being a native speaker, perhaps my vocabulary is not as large as a native English speakers is.

I find that those who have studied English as a second language often speak more accurate English than many native speakers who often retain errors picked up at their mothers' knee.

In a thread that both Toddy and Ahnjo contributed to some time ago, the embarrassing inaccuracies of Native English speakers was pointed out. I was in total agreement with them and wonder if our education system, to which I contributed for most of my working life, is at fault. Teachers, school inspectors and even the BBC seem unable to use good English these days.

It isn't just a matter of accent. I've also noticed that those who learn English from Americans speak with an genuine American accent, whereas those who learn in England never get the accent quite right and retain a "foreign" accent.

Similarly, I curious about how I understand French spoken by non-native speakers better than from my French mother-tongue-speaking friends.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Similarly, I curious about how I understand French spoken by non-native speakers better than from my French mother-tongue-speaking friends.

Could they be talking more slowly, deliberately and correctly in a similar way to how you were taught. Therefore making it easier to understand?

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Like Chainsaw, what we call the bunker is the worktop beside the sink, but I know of folks who call the cupboard under the stairs the bunker because that's where the coal used to be kept. Those who kept it in specially built outdoors storage called them coal bunkers. Others call it the Dunny.....which went to Australia and became their loo :) Presumably some connection to dungeons.

Curious Mary, in the Sussex dialect, rarely if ever heard now a dunny or dunnackin is a privy. Also, a tunnel leading water under a road is a bunny, a lady bird is a bishop barnaby, a pied wagtail is dolly dishwasher, a small sickle a swap 'ook and a large one with a cranked handle used with a hooked stick a fag 'ook.

When I moved to Yorkshire my first gardening job lead to some confusion when my boss told me to go get a shim, which to me is either a look at something or a thing to fill a space as in engineering, turned out he meant a dutch hoe!

As kids we used to go raikin around too and as others from different areas have noted it a raikfull means a lot of something.

If you were showing something in the distance to someone you'd point and say 'it's over there by Will's mother'.

Oh yeah, Eds, ye larkin?
:)

Al

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Different things to different folks.

Dykes.
  • In Scotland a drystone wall.
  • Northern England a water drainage ditch. (Which is why they don't understand the phrase, "Like sna aff a dyke.")
  • Geology, a subvertical sheet-like intrusion of magma or sediment.
  • Greece, Goddess of moral judgement.
  • USA, a levee.
GB.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
While I'm on, and before the yan, tan tetherers start. Sheep counting is done in pairs and goes oneerum, twoerum, cockerum, shuerum, ****herum, shatherum, wineberry, wagtail, tarrydiddle, den. Which gets you to twenty and is all I can remember.

Al

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I could mention the 'Wenglish' dialect of the South Wales valleys too, where now means 'at some time in the future', as in "now now" (immediately), "now in a minute" (soon), "now in a bit" (in a while), "Now later" (later", or "Now tomorrow" (tomorrow).

A lot of Welsh words get thrown in too, as in "Come by yer for a cwch, poor dab". You can have a cuddle, a hug, a snuggle or huddle, but none of them are quite the same, or as good, as a cwch.

"Who's coat is that jacket, 'anging up b'there on the floor?"
"You see them two 'ouses on their own together? Well, mine's the one on the end"

After nearly 20 years, my wife (Yorkshire born but Lancashire bred) is just coming to terms with Wenglish.

I'm from Cardiff in South Wales originally and also lived Up the Valleys for several years and always loved the Wenglish. Kaardiff has another rare accent and phrases of its own.

Gavin & Stacey on the tv often had Tidy but in Cardiff, Half Tidy was even more tidy that tidy! Pronounced 'Aarf Tidy of course.

Think my favourite Wenglish phrase was really a series of phrases. If you were bad, you were a bit unwell. Bad in bed was more serious. Bad under the doctor was close to death's door!

My wife was a Yorkshire lass who had lived in Wales since she was about 12 but she never got used to the "Now in a minute!" A bit like mañana but without the urgency. Probably why she's the ex wife now!

Gareth

Chillistarr

Apr 24, 2012
Edinburgh
Further to the wander/bimble/dau'ner etc how about skyte as in "skyte'n about the shops" - guess relating to skyte=skid or slide/slip but not just used when it's icy, rather to wander aimlessly or windowshop. Others that might be worth mentioning that I don't think have popped up yet, a sheugh=ditch (drainage), and teuch=tough/solid/sturdy.

And like 'Wenglish', in South Africa to have something 'just now' would be to have something later.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE